Supernatural Fiction posted November 17, 2020 Chapters:  ...37 38 -39- 40... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Voices in the Night

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's new, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
Lying next to Nicolas in a peaceful slumber, Jena had let her fears of the unknown and all the uncertainties of the future drift away. With the curse weighing on her shoulders, it was as though he was the only solid thing in her life.

Hours later, Jena woke up out of breath, her heart pounding. She instantly sat up in bed. She could hear voices coming from a distance like a beacon calling out to her. A woman was crying for help, begging for her life. Then she heard a small child, desperately pleading, “Please… don’t hurt my Mommy.” 

She felt a painful yearning to go to them, to save them. It was agony suddenly. Every muscle in her body wanted to spring out and run to their rescue.    
 
Without further delay, Jena sprang from the bed and rushed toward the glass doors that led to the balcony. As she looked out, her eyes searching through the darkness, she heard the voices again. For a fleeting moment, Jena felt as if she couldn’t move. Her muscles were tense, and her senses on overload. She stood there taken back by the sounds she was hearing. Somewhere far off, a little girl was screaming for help.

Nicolas woke up to find Jena standing by the balcony doors. Her eyes were fixated on something outside.

“Jena…” he said. “Is something wrong?” 

Although she registered Nicolas’s voice, it seemed miles away. She ignored his efforts and continued to peer out the glass barrier that separated her from the distressed voices beckoning her.  And then, a strange, and pressing urge called out to her, Go save them!   

Out of nowhere, her fingernails and toenails began to tingle. She could feel them stretching and elongating until they formed into sharp points. Then, the prickle of tiny hairs began to emerge from her shoulders. It grew thicker, spreading to her arms, covering her hands and all ten of her fingers. In a matter of seconds, it completely blanketed every inch of her skin. Her nightgown ripped at the seams as her ribcage contorted and the muscles in her body enlarged, taking on an unnatural form. Her stature lengthened and expanded to gigantic proportions.     
          
Witnessing all the skin twisting carnage, Nicolas then realized the curse had taken over Jena and there wasn’t anything he could do to stop it.

Jena was completely unrecognizable. Her delicate features and the feminine contours of her body had been replaced with a hideous wolfish beast. Every inch of her pale and flawless complexion was now covered in thick, black matted fur. It was almost too terrifying to put into words.

Nicolas called out, attempting to stop Jena as she went to open the doors.

She whirled around, snarling her upper lip. “Don’t follow me, Nicolas,” she said in a guttural voice, tossing the remnants of her nightgown to the floor. “I must save them before it’s too late.”

He nodded and watched in silence as she dashed through the opening of the balcony and disappeared into the night.  

With one giant leap, Jena dropped from the balcony’s ledge and landed on the ground with ease. For only a moment, she waited and listened. Then she heard the voices again. Although she knew better, it was as though they were only a few feet away. Their pleas for mercy were loud and clear. It created a raw sensation in the back of her throat, nearly choking her. 
   
She pivoted on the balls of her feet and sprang forward, landing on all fours. In the speed of a blur, she bounded across the large terrain surrounding the Breedline Covenant. The split second it took her to vault over the wrought iron gates, alarms were sounded. She remained focused and continued her endeavor to get away.

A few minutes later, she came upon a country road with twists and turns. It was dark and desolate, but the voices were louder now, keeping her on track. It wasn’t long before the gravel roadway led her to an old, two-story house. It had obviously been neglected for years. The paint on the wood appeared weathered and the grass stood knee-high. Although the place looked abandoned, she noticed a black van parked in the front. The windows were tinted, and the license plate was missing. With the swiftness of a feline, she crept closer to the rickety structure covering the doorway. When she inhaled deep, a pungent scent flooded her senses. It was the scent of something sinister and evil. The overpowering smell sparked a hunger within and a desire to kill.

As Jena’s wolfish lips curled up into a snarl, a low growl rumbled inside her chest.  
    
A woman screaming immediately alerted Jena and brought her head around. They were coming from inside, urgent and panic-stricken. She rose on two feet and in an instant, she used the strength in her powerful thighs and bolted toward the entrance. With the force of her new transformation, she charged through like a battering ram, rendering the door into pieces.

Inside was a man, tearing at a woman’s clothes as though he was about to rape her. She was struggling underneath his weight, kicking and screaming.

The foul odor perforating from the man angered Jena further. He reeked of cigarettes and cheap whiskey like he hadn’t bathed in days.  

Across the room, huddled in the floor, wearing only panties was a little girl, maybe five at most, her tear-stained eyes rounded in sheer terror. Her hands and feet were bound with rope.

The horrifying images fueled Jena’s rage. With lightning speed, she lunged at the man with slashing claws. The force of the impact knocked him off the woman and sent him tumbling back. He fell and cracked his head against the hard floor. Blood pooled beneath him, igniting Jena’s bloodlust. She allowed him no time to recover as she pounced on top of him. His mouth fell open and his eyes grew large as he looked up at Jena’s gaping jaws. He bellowed in pain as she sunk her canines deep into his shoulder. The taste of his blood intensified her hunger, driving her instincts to go in for the kill. Soon after, she surrendered to the primal impulse of her savage beast. With her eyes locked on the man’s throat, she peeled back her wolfish lips and tore into his flesh.

While Jena feasted on the man, the woman scrambled to her feet and rushed to free the little girl. She kept a watchful eye as she feverishly worked at the ropes with shaky hands. A few minutes later, she scooped the child off the floor and into her arms. As she turned to flee, she came upon Jena’s creature. Keeping a tight hold on the child, the woman took a few steps back with her eyes locked on the beastly creature towering over her.

“Please,” she begged with tears staining her cheeks. “Please, don’t harm my little girl.”

Jena looked into the woman’s swollen eyes and then to the frightened child in her arms. Her heart ached for them. She wanted nothing more than to take away their pain and erase this terrifying night from their memories forever.

“I’m not going to harm either of you,” Jena said in a gravel voice. “I came to save you.”

The woman stared wearily up at Jena and muttered, “W-What are you?”

Jena went silent, pondering on the woman’s question. What was she? The only answer that came to mind was cursed. Although, she realized if she tried to explain what she was, it would be confusing and seem more terrifying. And to make matters worse, there was a small child present. The poor little girl had already witnessed too much for such young eyes.

“I-I’m sort of like… God’s helper,” Jena hesitantly said. “I was created to destroy evil.”

The woman’s shoulders sagged a little. “But why do you look like a werewolf?”

Jena heaved out a sigh. “It’s a long story.”

“You’re a good wolf,” said the little girl. “You saved my Mommy.”

Jena’s eyes softened. “I’m glad I got to you both in time. There’s a van outside.” She extended her hairy hand and offered the woman a set of keys. “Please, get to a safe place.”

The woman took the keys from Jena and looked to the dead man who lay mangled and half-eaten. Then, she focused her eyes back to Jena and said, “What about that man? I have no idea who he is. Shouldn’t we call the police?”

“No,” Jena quickly said. “Forget you ever saw him. I will take care of everything.”

When the woman nodded, Jena said, "Do either of you need medical attention?"

"We'll be fine," the woman replied. "Thanks to you." 

“Can you go with us?” asked the little girl.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart.” Jena shook her head. “But you see, I can’t be seen by other people. They wouldn’t understand like you. They would be scared.”

“I’m not scared of you,” the little girl said as she reached out to Jena.

Jena’s wolfish lips curled up as she gently took hold of her tiny hand. “You’re a very brave little girl.”  
  
“My name is Amy,” the little girl said. “What’s your name?”

“It’s nice to meet you, Amy. My name is… Jena.”

“I like your name.” Amy smiled. “It’s pretty.”
 
Jena swallowed back tears. “Thank you, Amy.”

“Come on, honey,” Amy’s mother said. “Let’s get you home.”

As the woman moved past Jena, Amy looked back and waved. “Bye-bye, Jena.”

She waved back. “Good-bye, Amy.”

As Jena watched them leave, an unexpected realization hit her suddenly. The creature she was to be for eternity was not entirely a curse. It was also a gift. It gave her the ability to save innocent lives like little Amy. The thought soothed her heart, giving her a renowned sense of purpose.
 
To be continued. . . 

 




A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers:

Jena McCain - she is an inspiring artist with the gift to speak with the dead. After an age-old creature rises from years of peaceful slumber to feast on humans, it attacks her and infects her with a curse. Now that Jena is cursed to carry on the creature's bloodlust, instead of killing innocent lives, she preys on the evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal and is bonded to Jena McCain. His older brother, Ashton was the creature who attacked and cursed Jena.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.