General Fiction posted November 16, 2020 Chapters:  ...41 42 -43- 44... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Lone Star State

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attack of the 50 States: Texas

by Bill Schott


Texas is the second largest state in the United States, since Alaska joined in 1959.

Texas, which derives from a Native American word meaning friend, is called the Lone Star State. It used to be an independent republic, once it freed itself from being a possession of Mexico.

Texas shares borders with Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico, as well as the Mexican states of Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon, and Tamaulipas. The south coastline borders the Gulf of Mexico.

I once read a James Michener novel, Texas, which, through the telling of a fictional story, explains Texas to the reader. It essentially begins in 1535 in Vera Cruz, Mexico, and spans four centuries up to the 1980s. I learned how the Mexicans and white settlers lived peacefully until the battle for independence. Texas was a part of Mexico and the white settlers were subject to Mexican law. This meant that they had to be Catholic and married to receive free land. Since many men left their wives behind, they married local women to obtain land.

The lack of religious freedom and the increase of white settlers led to the war for independence.  General Santa Anna led a brutal campaign creating a great hatred of Mexicans by the Texans. This hatred and distrust lasted for years after the war.

Michener also covered problems with the Indians, the problem of water, and the development of the cities. The discovery of oil, and appearence of oil millionaires, made people think that all Texans were rich. 

Six Flags Over Texas, a Texas company that franchises theme parks, takes its name from the several flags flown over Texas. The Spanish flag, France owned it for a while, Mexico, their independent republic banner with a lone star, the Stars and Stripes, and the Confederate flag.

After the Civil War Texas dominated the cattle industry. This image of cowboys defines Texans still today.


The world's first rodeo was hosted in Pecos, Texas. The annual Houston Livestock Show is the largest rodeo in the world. The Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show in Fort Worth is the oldest. 

Prior to World War II Texas had four industries: Cattle, Oil, Cotton, and Timber. 

Oil came on strong in the 20th century and allowed Texas to make huge investments in industries, universities, technology and as of now have 54 companies on the Fortune 500. If Texas were a sovereign state, it would have the 10th largest economy in the world.

Sports are big in Texas. Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans in the NFL; Hoston Astros and Texas Rangers in MLB; San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets, and Dallas Mavericks in the NBA; Dallas Stars for the NHL; and Houston Dynamo is the sole MLS team.

When we lived in Oklahoma my wife's parents visited us a couple times. One year we invited them to spend Christmas with us and avoid the snow in Michigan. That year we had a once-a-century blizzard and spent the holiday stuck inside. The next time, was in the summer. We drove to Texas to visit the Alamo in San Antonio. I didn't realize it was so far away. We did see the Alamo. It was, I must say, a bit underwhelming, being surrounded by tall, modern office buildings. 

While we were close, we drove over to Laredo, which is a border town. We hadn't planned on it, but Nuevo Laredo was just across the border, so we visited Mexico.  My wife and mother-in-law were really in their element haggling with street venders. 

Joke Time....A Texan and Kentuckian met in the airport bar and began bragging about their states. 
"Everything's big in Texas. We could put a dozen Kentuckys inside our state."
"We've got enough gold in Fort Knox to build a wall around the whole state of Texas."
"You build it and we'll buy it."

Some final volleys:

Houston, we have a problem.

Who shot J.R.?

Remember the Alamo.

Everything is Big in Texas






 




Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.