General Fiction posted November 10, 2020 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Earn BUCKS/POINTS to catch up on the story til now...

A chapter in the book Obsessive Tendencies

A Many Splendored Thing...?

by Y. M. Roger

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
Fated Mates, Celeste (a woodland fairy) and Gregor (a werewolf), are working to bring their friends into the chaos they both now know cannot be avoided...
EARN BUCKS/POINTS FOR CATCHING UP:   Through Tuesday evening (November 17th), you can also earn points and bucks for CHAPTERS 1 THRU 8 (this is Chapter 9). Just pop over to my Portfolio and it’s right there on top! Don’t miss out on the intense adult fantasy tale that is Celeste and Gregor’s beginning!
 
Where we left Celeste and friends [end of Chapter 6]:
“Tell you what, CeeBee,” his voice was still heavily laced with mischief – he was, after all, Joaquim – and I was just waiting for the ‘punch line’. He made a few more pirouettes between rocks and lowered himself slowly so we were face-to-face. “I’ll tell her he’s a werewolf if you give us a name.”
 
And there it was.
 
So proud of himself, Joaquim’s entire body – including that wild hair – radiated his enjoyment. Goddess, if I didn’t love him so much I’d kill him.
 
Justine gasped and was about to chastise him, thinking he was teasing again, when I managed to get my voice unstuck.
 
“Gregor.”
 
Joaquim made the most ungraceful slip into the stream I shall ever see. And the noise of complete shock he made as he landed in the water? Soooo worth it.

 
Begin Chapter 9:
It had been a good five minutes or so since Joaquim fell into the water and perhaps four since I’d given him my hoodie to use to dry off. Currently, he sat glaring at me as his hair ran through an entire symphony of color movements. Believe it or not, the fact that he had not said a word in those five minutes spoke volumes – I don’t think my colorful friend had ever gone that long without talking, whether to any one entity or to himself.
 
“Well, that’s got to be a record for him,” I motioned my head in Joaquim’s direction and shyly commented to Justine. I forced a playful smile as I waited to see if Joaquim would blink. Ever.
 
Justine just huffed in response and busied herself pulling up the grass where she and I sat. It was a slow, iterative process that was performed one blade at a time while there was an indistinct mumbling under her breath…  
 
“Teena?” 
 
“Still processing, Cee.” That was Justine-speak for thinking things through. She was one of those folks that just had to completely understand things in and out and backwards and forwards and, well, I’m pretty sure this whole Gregor thing just wasn’t adding up… at all.
 
I swallowed and nodded in acknowledgement, the quiet playing between us accenting the weight of the situation. Honestly, it made no sense to me either, but the fact was that ‘this thing’ was real – Gregor was real. He was real to me and to my heart and to every part of my body that had never even showed the least bit of interest in Jaiyelle.  He was my mate, of that I was certain, and I would not deny him or myself.
 
My sigh was more than a bit pronounced this time, but it seemed to coincide with Joaquim’s dramatic break in his stewing silence.
 
“Why, Cee?” His voice was calm almost cold – the same voice I’d heard him use to put others to shame without blinking an eye. “Was the dance thing not enough?”
 
At first, surprise took my breath away. Hadn’t Joaquim always had my back on the whole ‘outsider’ concept?  My head swiveled so fast in his direction that it jostled my whole body…
 
Hurt. Oh, yeah, it hurt to think that he’d been just ‘faking’ our friendship this whole time. His comment was what I would expect from one of the elders or one of the others that disagreed with my interactions with the ‘outside’ world. I couldn’t explain the forcefulness of my reaction, but here it was. And that hurt lanced through me till I felt those damn female tears threaten. As my eyes met his, the haughty look he held on his face had white hot anger shooting through me. I leapt to my feet and marched toward him – that haughtiness quickly transitioning to confusion at my approach.
 
“You lying, egotistical bastard!” I yanked my sweatshirt from under him, sending him tumbling away from me. A sob tore through me – Goddess, but I hated the ‘crying’ thing that always happened when I got mad! “You know what, Keem?” His facial reaction would have been funny any other time – the look of sheer disbelief on his face could have been quite amusing as he lay skew on the grass. “I don’t need your judgment, and I don’t need you!”
 
Gregor’s face flashed across my vision again, his smile so sure. Gonna taste you now, mon petit cadeau. The memory of his kiss only fueled my hurt because now? Now, I apparently had no one with whom to share my happiness. At least that's suddenly how I felt…
 
I took a deep, shaky breath and continued to rage at Joaquim. “How many times, Keem, have we listened to your crazy-ass dreams and your raunchy exploits?” He looked as though I had physically struck him. “Put up with all of your childish moods an– ”
 
Justine touched my shoulder from behind as she stepped up beside me – I hadn’t even heard her approach.  “Cee?”
 
I tried to shrug her off, afraid to turn and see the same unexpected prejudice on her face. This anger was like none I had ever experienced…
 
“Don’t, Teena,” I tried to calm my voice, but it sounded like more of a growl even to me. Had I ever growled like that..? I continued to stare at a clearly bewildered Joaquim. I just needed to get out of here. “Don’t patronize me. I really don’t nee–”
 
Seems these friends were no better than the damn frogs and turtles in the park…
 
“Cee?” Her hand on my shoulder tightened slightly.
 
I tried again to dislodge her hand through a more forceful shoulder roll. Tomorrow morning at sunrise, mon petit cadeau. I breathed in Gregor’s memory again and felt my entire body vow they would not take him from me...
 
“Just stop it, both of you!” I slapped Justine’s hand away and stepped away from her, away from Joaquim. “You know what?” I took another step backward. “I don’t need your approval for anything. Not for my clothin–“
 
Joaquim stood slowly, his face still one of confused amazement. “CeeBee…?” He glanced over at Justine and raised his eyebrows in question to her.
 
I didn’t care what his problem was because I wasn’t listening to either of them as I continued.  “Not for my dancin–“
 
Justine grabbed my upper arm. “Cee?” Her voice louder, more determined and even quite forceful this time. Joaquim took another cautious step toward me.
 
I saw some sort of look pass between the two of them, but I ignored it. They’d always had some sort of weird way of communicating without talking. Besides, I didn’t care. Gregor was mine…
 
“Noth. Thing. Do you hear me?” My mouth was truly on its own now – off and running with an animosity that I had no idea existed in my being. In fact, my body trembled with it. “And that includes who I want to see when I’m outside wearing my awful clothes doing my awful dancing! So, you can both take your judgey sel–“
 
“CELESTE!” They shouted in unison, effectively silencing my rant… At least for the moment.
 
We stared at each other as the seconds ticked by. But just as I was about to let go again, Justine smirked and Joaquim’s mischief once again took over his face, those eyes glimmering with a knowing amusement.
 
Shocked at their faces and stances, I narrowed my eyes at them.  “What?”  It certainly did not have the fire behind it that my previous diatribe had.
 
Joaquim stepped forward and reached toward my tear-streaked face, an action that I recoiled from. Anyone else would have had the good sense to lower their hand, but not him.
 
“Oh, CeeBee,” Joaquim whispered - his voice full of understanding - as he stepped closer and gently wiped the dampness from my face, “why didn’t you just lead with that, Sweetie?”
 
Shocked at his actions along with Justine’s rubbing of my upper arm, I felt the annoyance drain from my being. Goddess it felt good to let that unfamiliar anger go…
 
“Wh-What?” I managed, glancing between the two of them.
 
They both smiled in complete understanding.
 
“That Gregor is truly your fated mate,” Joaquim continued in his soothing tone.
 
I glanced at Justine and back to Joaquim. “Bu-But how do you know?”
 
Joaquim cocked his head in his ‘you are joking, right?’ look and raised that questioning eyebrow so far up it disappeared into his hair. For her part, Justine chuckled heartily before answering.
 
“Well, perhaps your whole ‘full-on wolf man’ reaction to Keem just now had something to do with it, hmm?”
 
I felt the blush creep up my neck as I nodded shyly, Gregor’s smile once again making an appearance across my mind’s eye. “Yeah, guess you could say he’s already in here.” I quietly indicated my chest.
 
But then that ‘oh this is gonna be fun’ smile split Joaquim’s handsome face and the colors that his hair radiated were practically neon. “I hate to tell you this, Cee, but I’ve seen Gregor Charbonneau” – Joaquim breathed deeply and hummed with appreciation – “And, Girly, there ain’t no way he’d fit in there! In fact, I have no idea how part of him’s gonna fit els–“
 
“Kee-eem!” Both Justine and I shouted simultaneously, each of us rolling our eyes. Joaquim grinned quite unapologetically.
 
When the silence overtook us again, I lowered my eyes and then looked up to make eye contact with both of them.
 
“Uhmm, you know, I’m really sorry fo–“
 
Both Justine and Joaquim held up their hands to quiet me, but it was Joaquim who spoke.
 
“Soooo, when do we get to meet your wolfish Prince?” Joaquim’s eyebrows performed a spectacular up-and-down rhythm as his eyes laughed with pure joy.
 
I frowned. “He’s not a prince, Kee–“
 
“Biker. Prince.” Joaquim quipped quite unrepentantly and shrugged. “Sexy Alpha-Heir.” His eyes glinted with that last one. “One in the same, really. Prince just sounds more refined, don’t you think?”
 
I exhaled and shook my head as Justine chortled. “I think they all sound like trouble with a capital ‘T’.”
 
Joaquim’s eyes lit with pure devilment. He rubbed his hands together briskly causing colorful swirls of his unique magic to fill the air and tickle our skins.
 
“And isn’t that just wonderful on so many levels?!”
 
I exchanged looks with Justine as Joaquim hummed with delight. Maybe Gregor’s were-clan wasn’t the worst of our worries.

 
To be continued…
 
 
‘Obsessive Tendencies’ is an adult fantasy novel about a reality in which the fantasy realm has somehow been merged with our human one. Celeste is a woodland fairy and Gregor is a werewolf alpha-heir. This is the ninth chapter in their story.

CAST OF CHARACTERS:
Celeste (woodland fairy) – her herd lives in a magical encampment in Gregor’s were-clan domain. They are not associated with werewolves at all.
 

Joaquim (woodland fairy) – twin brother to Justine, lifelong friend of Celeste.
 

Justine (woodland fairy) – twin sister to Joaquim, lifelong friend of Celeste.
 

Jaiyelle (woodland fairy) – Current object of affection for Justine.
 

Gregor (werewolf) – Alpha-heir to the Charbonneau Werewolf Clan, the largest clan in the Southeast United States.
 

Andre (werewolf) – best friend and trusted lieutenant to Gregor.

Talietha (werewolf) – Female Alpha-daughter of the Midwest's Gestault were-clan and betrothed to Gregor by arrangement.
 

Shalindra (werewolf) – best friend of Talietha
 

Rhoden (werewolf) – aged male house manager for the Gestault household
 
 



Recognized


Intriguing thing, MATES... ;) ;) And if you didn't 'catch it', Celeste's actions/reactions here are very similar to Grogor's in his "conversations" with Andre... ;) In the supernatural world, 'mates' is much more than just a strong feeling for another: it is physical and it is visceral... :) :) Thanx so much for keeping up with Gregor and Celeste! ;) Yvette

Image of 'Fairy, wolf and moon' from Pinterest [www.pinterest.com]

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.