Supernatural Fiction posted November 10, 2020 Chapters:  ...36 37 -38- 39... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

To kill, or not to kill?

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for reading my chapter. It's new, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
Joseph watched as Carrie took the last bite of her dessert. “So, how was the chocolate cake?”

She eased back into her chair with a contented sigh. “Delicious. Everything tasted fantastic. Thanks for dinner, Joseph.”

“You’re welcome.” He smiled. “Glad you enjoyed.”

While sipping on wine and waiting for Gary to bring them the bill, Joseph and Carrie easily fell into a conversation. He tuned out the background noise in the restaurant and simply absorbed her every word. She talked a bit about her ex-boyfriend Kevin and her past, telling him about how her Uncle Frank and his wife Missy had taken her in and practically raised her after the death of her parents. Then she went on to tell him about her friendship with Jessica and Jessica's new boyfriend Ryan. Next was college and how she landed her job.

“I feel like I’m talking your head off,” she finally said. “I hope I’m not boring you with all my crazy life stories.”

“Not in the least,” he quickly said. “As a matter of fact, it’s pretty interesting. It sounds like you’ve had a rough start, but life turned out well for you.”

“What about you?” She slightly tilted her head and went on to ask, “Any serious relationships?”

“I’ve been out on a few dates. But nothing serious. I guess my work keeps me busy.”

 “I see,” she replied. “Have you lived here all your life?”

“Yes, I’ve always lived here in Berkeley. But someday, I’d like to do some traveling and see the world.”

Her brows drew together. “You mean… you’ve never been out of the city?”

“Nope,” he sighed. “I guess you could say I’m sort of a homebody.”

“Really?” She looked at him bewildered. “I’d figure you as the sightseer type, especially since you’re a journalist.”

“It’s hard to travel,” the Shadow chimed in, “when you’re locked up in a loony bin.” 

Joseph chuckled, ignoring the voice in his head. “Yah, you’d think, right?”

“You’re kind of a mystery, Joseph. So, does your family live here?”

Suddenly, he got that ‘deer in the headlights’ look. He stiffened in his chair and looked away, becoming silent, unmoving.

Her question seemed to echo in his head, bringing forth a memory and the smell of blood. And the taste of it.

“She’s asking too many questions, Joseph,” the Shadow gritted out. “You need to get rid of her.” 

When Joseph didn’t answer right away, Carrie reached across the table. “Joseph, are you okay?”

Her voice snapped him back. “Sorry… I’m fine,” he said, taking hold of her hand.

“Are you sure you’re all right?”

He nodded even though he wasn’t. “Yes, I was just thinking.”

“What were you thinking about?”

“Oh nothing,” he said, releasing her hand as he relaxed back in his chair. “It’s just…” he paused and let out a deep breath. “Sometimes, I lose my train of thought, that’s all.”

Abruptly, Gary came up to their table and said, “How was everything?”

Joseph smiled up at him and said, “The food was great.”

“Oh, wonderful,” Gary boasted, placing the check presenter on the table. “I hope you come again soon.”

Joseph nodded. “Thank you, Gary.”

Moments later, after Joseph took care of the check, he said, “You ready to go?”

When Carrie nodded, he got out of his chair and quickly moved behind hers. As he scooted her chair back, she stood and said, “Thank you, Joseph.”

He slid his hand around her waist and guided her out of the restaurant and toward the parking lot. As they came up to the Jeep, he opened the passenger door and helped her inside. When he got behind the wheel and started the engine, he said, “It’s still early. Would you care to go somewhere for a drink or better yet, a cup of coffee?”

She turned toward him. “Actually, I’d like to change into something more comfortable. Would you like to stop by my place?” She arched a brow. “I’ve got plenty of coffee.”

“Say yes, Joseph,” the Shadow demanded.

“O-Okay…” he hesitantly said. “Sure.”

“It’s fine if you don’t want—”

“No, no,” he interjected. “Coffee at your place sounds great.” 

He shifted in drive, and before he accelerated forward, he said, “Thanks for having dinner with me, Carrie. I had a great time.”

Her eyes lit up. “Me too.”

On the way, he felt her eyes on him. He could sense the wheels in her head turning with all sorts of questions. And he knew sooner or later, he’d have to answer them.

As Joseph brought the Jeep to a stop in the parking lot of her apartment building, Carrie went to reach for the door. He put his hand on her arm to stop her.

“Stay put while I get that for you.”

Carrie nodded with a slight grin and quickly dropped her eyes as though she was bashful by the way he fussed over her.

Joseph got out and as he opened Carrie’s door, she said, “You know… a girl could really get used to all this attention.”

“Good,” he said with his hand out, waiting for her to take hold. “You deserve no less.”

“Thanks,” she said as she placed her hand in his. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

As soon as they made their way into the apartment, she locked the door from the inside. While she went to turn on the lights, he stood back and waited.

“You want me to take your jacket?”

“Sure, thanks,” he said, sliding it from his broad shoulders and handing it to her.

After she hung it in the coat closet, she gestured toward the sofa. “Please, make yourself comfortable. I’ll go start the coffee. If you don’t mind, while it’s brewing, I’m going to change out of this dress.”

“Of course not.” He shook his head. “If you’d like, I can make the coffee.”

“Are you sure?”

“Go ahead,” he said, waving it off like it was nothing. “It’s no problem. Besides, I know my way around a kitchen.”

“Wow…” Her lips curled up. “I really hit the jackpot. I finally met a guy who still believes in chivalry and can also make coffee.”

He chuckled. “Lucky you.”

“I won’t be but a second,” she said as she started up the stairs. “The coffee and filters are in the cabinet above the coffee maker.”

A few minutes later, Joseph came from the kitchen with two cups of coffee. Carrie was on the couch with her legs tucked under her. She had on pink leggings and an oversized grey sweatshirt that revealed a little shoulder.

“I remembered you liked sugar and cream in yours,” he said, extending the cup he’d made for her.

“Oh, thanks.” She reached for the cup of coffee. “Please, sit wherever you like.”

When he sat down in the wingback chair next to the couch, she said, “I hope you don’t mind me putting on something to relax in.” She tugged at her top. “Sorry it’s nothing fancy.”

“Nah, you’re fine. Besides, you’d look good in just about anything.”

She smiled and blushed.

“The hell with her clothes. She looks good enough to eat.”

“Anyway,” Joseph went on to say, overlooking the Shadow’s obnoxious comment, “I’m normally a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy. It’s all about comfort, right?”

“Absolutely,” she replied. “Next time we go out, we’ll go somewhere casual. Um… I mean… that is… if you want to go out again.”

He beamed. “Of course, I do.”

“Stop stalling, Joseph,” the Shadow grumbled. “Kill her.”  
                
Joseph took a sip of his coffee and disregarded the Shadow’s demands.

“Joseph,” Carrie paused and cleared her throat. “Did I say something wrong at the restaurant?”

He looked at her confused. “What do you mean?”

“Well…” she said, seemingly hesitant. “When I asked you about your family, it looked as though the question made you feel uncomfortable. I didn’t mean to pry. I just wanted to . . . you know… get to know you better.”

“Oh, here we go,” the Shadow groaned. “I warned you, Joseph.”  
         
“No, Carrie. You didn’t say anything wrong. It’s just that…” He let out a deep breath, thinking if he told her the truth about his parents, it would terrify her. And for some odd reason, he didn’t want to scare her off. She made him feel good in a way he’d never felt before. “Talking about my family is hard,” he continued, feeling vulnerable and exposed. “Both of my parents are… deceased.”

“Oh… I’m so sorry, Joseph.” Her eyes were apologetic. “You don’t have to talk about it. I probably shouldn’t have brought it up.”

“It’s okay.” His lips slightly turned up. “It was a long time ago.”

A sound coming from outside the door suddenly drew their attention. The moment they turned to look, it swung open and Jessica stepped inside with Ryan following behind her. When Jessica caught sight of them, her brows went up. “Well, well, well…” She cracked a smile. “Hey Carrie… Hey Joseph. I hope we’re not interrupting anything.”

“Hi, guys,” Carrie said. “We were just visiting over coffee. Joseph made a fresh pot if you’d like to join us.”

Jessica looked between Ryan and Joseph. “You two haven’t met, have you?”

When Ryan shook his head, Joseph got to his feet and extended his hand. “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Joseph.”

“Hey, Joseph,” Ryan said as he took hold of his hand. “I’m Ryan.” 

"Hmmm..." the Shadow remarked. "Ryan is keeping secrets." He chuckled in amusement. "If only they knew."

“Thanks for the offer,” Jessica said as she moved closer to the sofa. “We’re not staying long. I just wanted to change into a pair of jeans before we head over to the club. You guys want to join us?”

Carrie immediately turned toward Joseph to gauge his reaction. She could tell by the look on his face he wasn’t interested, and neither was she.

“If it’s okay with you,” Carrie said, keeping her eyes focused on Joseph, “I’d rather stay in for the night.”

“Yeah, me too,” Joseph said, glancing at his watch. “Besides, I probably should get going.”  

“What’s the hurry?” Jessica smirked. “It’s only nine o’ clock.”

“Carrie has to work tomorrow,” Joseph said.

“You’ve got to be kidding.” Jessica furrowed her brows. “On a Sunday?”

“Well, you know the usual punishment,” Carrie said, releasing a sigh. “I was supposed to stay late tonight, so?”

Jessica put her hands on her hips. “Your boss is a total b—”

“I know, I know,” Carrie said, cutting her off. “But when your father is the CEO of the company…”

“That’s bullshit and you know it, Carrie,” Jessica huffed. “Something has got to be done about that woman. I swear, one of these days, she’s going to get exactly what she deserves.”

“Oh… we can make that happen,” the Shadow remarked. “Sooner than later.”

“So, Carrie,” Ryan chimed in. “If you don’t mind me asking, what’s the deal with your boss? Why does she have it in for you?”

“It’s over a damn man,” Jessica blurted before Carrie could answer. “She’s been punishing Carrie ever since the new guy at work, who her boss has the hots for, asked her out on a date.”

“That’s messed up,” Ryan said.

“That’s more than messed up,” Joseph commented, crossing his arms over his chest. “It’s morally wrong.” He averted his eyes from Ryan and looked to Carrie with a raised brow. “She needs to be reprimanded, or better yet, fired.”

Ryan focused on Carrie and said, “Hey, I’ve got a friend that’s a big shot attorney. I could talk to him. His law firm takes on companies with the same issues. Maybe he could give you some advice.”

When Carrie didn’t immediately reply, Joseph said, “It’s worth a try. What do you have to lose?”

Carrie sighed. “But… I don’t want to take the chance of losing my job.”

“Jeez Carrie,” Jessica groaned. “Just talk to the guy. It doesn’t mean you have to hire him. You’re just getting the man’s advice.”

“Okay.” Carrie shrugged. “I guess you’re right.”

Ryan nodded. “I’ll give him a call tomorrow.”

“Thanks Ryan.”

“No problem,” Ryan said. “Anytime.”

“Well, I guess I better be heading out,” Joseph said, looking at Jessica and then to Ryan. “It was nice to meet you, Ryan.”

“Yeah,” Ryan replied with a smile. “You too, Joseph.”

Carrie instantly rose from the sofa and looked up at Joseph. “Please, let me see you out.”

As Carrie walked Joseph to the door, Jessica called out, “Hey, Joseph…”

When he turned toward her, she continued to say, “If you’re free next Saturday, say around six, we’d love to have you over. Ryan and I are cooking dinner for Carrie. It’s her birthday.”

“Oh, sure. I’d love to,” he said. He looked away from Jessica and faced Carrie. “That is, if it’s okay with you.”

“Sorry,” Carrie said, her expression apologetic. “I was going to invite you, but it completely slipped my mind. I’d love for you to come.”

“It’s nothing fancy,” Ryan mentioned. “We’re just barbequing ribs at my place. I live in the apartment upstairs.”

“Count me in,” Joseph said. “Do I need to bring anything?”

“If you don’t mind, we could use a bottle of Rum,” Jessica said. “That’s Carrie’s favorite.” 

Joseph nodded and then turned toward Carrie with a smile. “I believe I can make that happen.”

After they said their good-byes, and Joseph got behind the wheel of his Jeep, the Shadow groaned into his subconscious. “What are you doing, Joseph?”
   
Joseph closed his eyes and rubbed at his temples, trying his best to suppress the voice inside his head.

“Look at me, Joseph.”

“No…” Joseph whispered. “Please, not now.”

“I said,” the Shadow raised his voice. “Look at me.”

Finally, Joseph opened his lids. As he peered into the rearview mirror at his own reflection, a pair of crow black eyes stared back.

“Sooner or later… you will kill them all.”

To be continued. . . 

  
             

 



Book of the Month contest entry


A reference to cast of characters in the chapter, especially for new readers:

Carrie Randall - She is a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley California. She has an love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, after his father beat his mother to death, an evil entity invaded his body. When his father was charged with his mother's murder and sent to prison for twenty years, Joseph was placed in foster families. As time passed, Joseph became diagnosed as a psychopath with schizophrenia, he was placed in a mental institute for most of his adolescence. With the help of the evil voice in his head, he was able to manipulate his way into the real world.

The Shadow - An evil presence that inhabits a vulnerable host, like a child. It preys on their weaknesses and controls their mental structure, especially as a motive force. And its main purpose was to gain access to souls by feeding on human hearts. This type of demon is a dark entity with a ravenous appetite and has possessed Joseph Parker.

Jessica Phillips - She is Carrie's best friend and roommate.

Ryan Grayson - He is Jessica's boyfriend.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.