General Fiction posted November 8, 2020 Chapters:  ...38 39 -40- 41... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Myrtle Beach

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attackofthe50States: S Carolina

by Bill Schott


South Carolina first came on my radar when my Marine recruiter told me about Parris Island. That is where Marine Corps boot camp on the east coast is located. For reasons better saved for another story, I ended up going to MCRD San Diego, California.

After being assigned to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, one of the weekend attractions for Marines and Sailors was Myrtle Beach, in South Carolina. Back in the seventies, it was a place to party like it was 1999. Nowadays, Myrtle Beach has been built up to be a huge tourism area, world-class golfing spot, and destination for family vacations.

South Carolina was the first state to secede from the union.

A coastal cannon position, Fort Sumter, became the site of the first battle of the Civil War.

The rest of the Civil War and Reconstruction looks bad for SC and is a bit depressing. I'll skip it and pretend the Ku Klux Klan, Black suppression, and female disenfranchisement weren't a big part of their history.

Hilton Head, an island off the coast of South Carolina, attracts over two million tourists every year.

On June 2, 1863, Harriet Tubman, who had been born into slavery, led Union troops on a raid to Hilton Head, South Carolina. The raid liberated 800 men, women, and children from slavery.

In 1900, 60% of South Carolinians were African American. However, the state was generally repressive for blacks, so many left the state during The Great Migration to the North. Today about 30% South Carolinians are African Americans.

South Carolina is the only state in the U.S. that grows tea.

Drayton Hall is one of the oldest and best-preserved plantations not only in South Carolina but also in the entire United States.

South Carolina houses the only colony of free-ranging rhesus monkeys in the United States. There are about 3,500 monkeys on Morgan Island, which is also known as Monkey Island.

The largest tires in the world, earthmover tires that measure 14 feet across, are made in Lexington, South Carolina.

South Carolina is home to the legendary Angel Oak Tree, which shades an area of 17,000 square feet with its enormous limbs. This Live Oak tree is considered to be over 500 years old and is one of the oldest living things east of the Mississippi. The tree gets its name from the Angel family who once owned the land the tree is on, on John’s Island, south of Charleston.



Columbia is the capital of South Carolina. Named for Christopher Columbus.

South Carolina is one of the top three peach-producing states in the nation and, not surprisingly, the state fruit is the peach. However, before it was known as the Peach State, it was the Iodine State.

South Carolina is home to the world’s hottest chili pepper, Smokin’ Ed’s “Carolina Reaper,” grown by Ed Currie of the PuckerButt Pepper Company. Currie’s peppers are so hot that often people who eat them will spasm and vomit.

The first club for golfers in the United States was created by Scottish settlers in Charleston, South Carolina, on September 29, 1786.

Wild hogs roam much of South Carolina.

South Carolina is divided into three distinct land regions:  Coastal Plain, the Piedmont (plateaus), and  the Blue Ridge Mountains.

South Carolina does not have any professional sports teams. There is no NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, or MLS.

The Baha’i faith is South Carolina’s second-largest religion, after Christianity. Founded in Iran in 1844, the Baha’i faith teaches two principles: the oneness of mankind and the oneness of world religions.

Several popular movies were filmed in South Carolina, including The DI, Full Metal Jacket, Prince of Tides, The Swamp Thing, Sleeping with Enemy, and The Notebook.

I hope this was enough information about South Carolina. South Dakota is next.














 



Recognized


Info gleaned from FactRetriever and wikipedia. Image from Google.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.