General Fiction posted November 5, 2020 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Liz & Linda need motivation to go on

A chapter in the book Traffic

Berries for a Reward

by Liz O'Neill




Background
Liz & Linda, sitting on a Maple Tree thinking back to what happened before they discovered Native American teens. In this part of the book they're following a chainsaw sound

Liz's emotions were buzzing all over the place. What's going on with me? Her inner sense told her, it is imperative that we investigate the chainsaw racket. Linda's always up for a new adventure and there hasn't been anything but the mirages glaring back at us from the road snaking endlessly ahead of us.

In answer to Linda's question about what Liz wanted to do,  Liz said, "What do you want to do?"

"I kinda want to keep going and yet, I want to look to see what it is. What do you wanna to do?" 

"Kind of the same as you. I guess we might as well investigate. When have we ever refused a challenge?"

Linda shrugged, "Hmm. Can't think of any. Besides, it'll be a break in boredom."

As they stepped off the trusty pavement, each grabbed a solid branch to serve as a walking stick. Linda said, "I prefer the straighter backed ones. I feel more secure with that kind."  

Liz, searching for just the right one, hefted a beauty with a perfect crook at the top.  "This is like the one I decorated at home. I taped feathers and white paper birch bark thin strips onto it with my red duct tape left from bandaging the cuts and bruises on my red Honda Hatchback."
 
"Remember that one? I cried when I had to leave it behind at the dealers. They'd told me I couldn't drive it home. That it had holes in places there weren't supposed to be holes. That's when I got the car we just abandoned."

An unnerving screaming was suddenly cutting through Liz's imaginative wanderings about cars and duct tape. She felt a sense of urgency growing, grateful that Linda was oblivious to what had replaced the flights of fancy she had been entertaining. 

Her partner-in-crime began describing how she would decorate her walking stick. "I would tie a red bandana to mine to double as a cushioning for my hand and if I have need to pat my brow." She dramatically gestured with a sigh.

Linda scanned the area to find the best approach. "We've gotta be careful getting down this bank. It's really steep. If we fall, there's no one here to save us." That was one of the differences between them. Liz followed her inner sense and Linda took care of them by inspecting, before acting.
 
She was grateful that Linda was not as impulsive and such a risk-taker. Linda waved her arm while gripping her supportive pole to beckon the direction of a safer path. "You were right. You found a much better trail than mine, for us to get down."  Thank you, Linda.
 
Sounds, for Liz, morphed into children screaming. Chills climbed up and down her spine as the next screams were of women, joined by men howling and chanting  intense tones of grief. "I don't know if my heart can endure this for very long."

Linda agreed, "That sound is really getting me. It makes me think of that massacre movie. I'm..." Grimacing, she finished her thought, "praying that it isn't anything like that."

As they edged nearer, Liz hoped that they would not discover what she most dreaded and already knew in her deepest gut. Her legs weakened as she peered through the thicket of berry bushes. What she saw took away her appetite for even these fruits. However, she resolved she'd make a mental note as to their location for the trip back.

Ahead of her, she faced her worst nightmare. Limbs, severed. Spines, broken. Trunks, everywhere. And piles of the remains of the defenseless who had no recourse. Not one to come to their aid. Their fate had been sealed when ropes had been lashed and the murderous machines brought to life.

There had been a very similar heart-stopping incident near Liz's home. There were spirits all around. It broke her heart to see what was left behind as a remembrance of those who had been heartlessly, mercilessly slaughtered. It was obvious that this was a similar case.
 
She remembered hearing a similar wailing just up the dirt road from her driveway a couple of years ago. This occurred close to a cairn field, which is essentially, a burial ground or cemetery for the Abenaki tribe in Vermont. Glancing around at the trees still standing, I wonder if there is a Crow Indian cairn field nearby.
 

In respect and honor for the fallen Abenaki, she had grabbed her point and shoot Sony digital camera to take photographs of the ends of the trees cut off closest to the trunks. They had been piled, ready for the noisy polluting cherry picker truck, to transport them to locations and outcomes unknown.

"Oh good, it's still working. At least one battery is still working. Too bad the car didn't run on camera batteries. I'll be able to get photographs of the spirits in these trees." Liz explained to Linda, "I read that when Native Americans died, possibly violently, the spirits went into the trees in the area." 

She scanned the trees lying among shreds of bark and bows and branches; some still with their leaves on them. Centered in the rings at the end of each log, was a tattoo-like darkened image. One had the face of a clown or Kachina doll.  Another, a presumed prized possession; a dark horse lying down.

Beside that one, was a log with a medicine woman carrying a healing staff. "Look at those, a dog face, a chicken, and an eagle. Many of these are similar to the images I posted on Facebook that I photographed in my own neighborhood of trees cut down. You may have seen them." 

"I wondered earlier and now, if these images have some connection to the elders, or braves, along with women or children cut down, as they fled to Canada. The colonial soldiers, stealing their lands, home, and dignity, chased them in a cat and mouse game of life and death."

Linda was enticed with the figures she could make out in each of the logs. I'm getting my camera out too." Pulling it from her pack, "This is fascinating. No one will believe it. I can't wait to post these." 

Liz was teary as she sent up prayers to the Creator for all of them and soon was flooded with mixed emotions of sadness, anger, a sense of helplessness, and confusion. "This stuff is still going on after over 12,000 years. That's how long ago it is recorded that the Abenaki were in Vermont. I have no idea how long the Crow Nation has been here. Probably longer."

The cameras were put away and Linda began scoping out the best way back up the hill.

Liz laughed as she announced, "There're berries up there, for a little reward for us making it to the top. So, we've got a good yummy motivation."

"And you know food is a great motivator for us," chuckled Linda. "Good thing we chose sturdy walking sticks."

The hike back up the embankment was quite taxing; but they took it a little at a time, resting every few steps. "It didn't look this steep going down," huffed and puffed Liz.

Then Linda laughed with the little bit of breath she had left. "That's because the trail we came down on is over there," pointing ten feet away. "We actually are on your trail you started with. The trail we decided to skip, because of its treacherousness."

Either a raspberry sound or a note of frustration, came from Liz's direction. And then a gallows laugh. "Now, here we are; climbing up it." 

Linda suggested, "We might as well continue; we're more than half way and I'm sure you along with me are bound and determined we are not going back down to start over."

Liz attempted to take a good deep breath. "Absolutely not. Maybe we should rest a bit though."

****************

"Those berries up there, are calling our names. A little bit farther. There they are, just where I remembered them."

Linda rolled her eyes and they both laughed. They immediately began to munch fistfuls of berries. "I'm really hungry. It's been a long time since we had those berries and bread from Kai Zita." groaned Liz. "These are yum."

"Yuh, they are," Linda said with a busy mouth of berries.

As they spun around, Liz saw they were very near the road. "Hey, there's the road. That came up fast!" 

They both had ADD, so couldn't remember from what direction they had come.

 Linda may have been a little less directionally challenged; so she was the final decider. "I think by that by heading to the left, we'd be ending back at the car, but going right will get us closer to finding the sign Kai Zita told us would be the last segment of this trek."

Liz paused, tapping her teeth together, "I worry how many more adventures we are going to have before we reach our destination." 

Taking in the panorama where the fog thinned through the trees, Liz's heart soared. She wondered if what she was seeing was real, or merely a fantasy vision through the mist. 





TERMS

A Cairn is the stone structure developed for various purposes: for directions, ceremony, art, burial indication.

Katchina is a mythical mostly benevolent spirit being in the religious ceremonies in Native American cultures.

A gallows laugh indicated a sense of hopelessness and powerlessness. It originated from the laugh expelled by the condemned on their way to the gallows, the platform where their hanging would take place.

Kai Zita is the mysterious Native American woman who visited them in their car bringing bread and berries. She was a shape-shifter.


Shape-shifting is the metamorphosis of a person into an animal for the purpose of healing and protecting. It is a tradition that exists in most native cultures.

ADD is attention deficit disorder. A person with this condition is easily distracted and doesn't always take in all the necessary details.

*******
I'd like to acknowledge supergold for their picture that suits my theme very well. This book is about the adventures of Liz & Linda in Montana. Most of the adventures are related to the fact that they are close to the Crow Nation Reservation.





Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.