General Poetry posted October 31, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Please, check notes below for more details

Skyscrapers are hazards

by tempeste

On route to warmer skies
sadly millions of these guys
meet their demise
colliding at high speed with windows in disguise.
Give these critters a chance, act wise
lower curtains and the danger you'll minimise.



Write a Monorhyme writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a 6 line Monorhyme. A monorhyme is a poem where all the lines have the same end rhyme.

Example:

Night Storm

It came in a winter?s night,
a fierce cold with quite a bite.
Frosted wind with all its might
sent ice and snow an invite
to layer earth in pure white
and glisten with morning light.

Copyright © 2005 Marie Summers


The problem is exacerbated by the migration's timing, as many birds fly at night. Attracted by the glow of skyscrapers in the dark, they are vulnerable to collision -- either with each other or the buildings. For some, the light can prove so disorientating that they flutter around for hours, eventually becoming exhausted and landing in inhospitable environments.

Birds can also become confused by windows with plants behind them, mistaking them for a safe landing spot.
Reflective glass next to gardens and parkland can also prove problematic, promising a safe haven where none exists.

Authorities encourage owners of tall buildings to turn off lights during the two migration seasons to help protect the birds and reduce energy costs.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. tempeste All rights reserved.
tempeste has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.