General Fiction posted November 1, 2020 Chapters:  ...35 36 -37- 38... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ore GONE

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attack of the 50 States: Oregon

by Bill Schott


My first thought when talking about the state of Oregon is the Oregon Trail. It was a 2200-mile wagon train route that connected the Missouri River to Oregon. It spanned part of what is now Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, and Oregon.

Oregon is known as "The Beaver State".

The name 'Oregon' is believed to have come from French word 'ouragan' (meaning "windstorm" or "hurricane"), referring to the powerful winds of the Columbia River.

Crater Lake, in Oregon, is the deepest lake in the U.S. and one of the deepest in the world at 592 feet.

Mt. Hood in Oregon is the second most explored mountain in the world after Mount Fuji in Japan.

Portland, Oregon has 60 breweries, which is more than any other city in the world.

In 1994, Oregon became the first U.S. state to legalize physician-assisted suicide, resulting in Oregon's suicide rates being some of the highest in the nation.

Mill Ends Park is the smallest national park in the U.S. It's two square feet.

Oregon residents own one-fourth of the country's total llama population.

The Tillamook Cheese Factory, in Tillamook, Oregon, is the largest cheese factory in the world

The official state nut of Oregon is the hazelnut. The hazelnut is also known as the filbert. Oregon grows 99 percent of the entire U.S. commercial crop.

Nike was started in Oregon. An Oregon State University student was paid $35 for the swoosh design used on their products.

Oregon and New Jersey are the only states without self-serve gas stations.

The world's biggest living thing is the honey mushroom (Armillaria ostoyae) of Oregon. It covers 2200 acres and is estimated to be over 2400 years old.

Timberline Lodge, on Mt. Hood, served as the scenic backdrop for the movie, The Shining.

Ursula K. Leguin, of Portland, one of my favorite science fiction writers, penned the great sci-fi novel "The Lathe of Heaven" in 1971. In the tale, George Orr changes reality in his dreams, but no one knows but he and his psychiatrist. It is a supreme study of human nature, misguided interference, and cause and effect which, although written fifty years ago, holds up today.

The Oregon wildfires killed at least 11 people, burned more than 1,000,000 acres, and destroyed thousands of homes.

I realize, as usual, I have left out your favorite facts about this state. Happy Day.






 



Recognized


Image from Google. Research from various internet sites.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.