Biographical Poetry posted July 12, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A letter I had hoped for.

From You, To Me

by Sally Law

Show us Your Early Poetry Vol. 3 Contest Winner 
Was it just a moment ago,
or was it yesterday?
Life is on fast forward, it seems,
your face has flown away.

Tell me, have you grown a beauty,
and learned your ABCs?
Or are you ready for the day,
twin boys upon your knees?

Do you prefer lipstick to balm
or perfume to cologne?
I really wish I had kept up
of this my mind does roam.

I decided to move my piles of things,
my failings to amend.
Maybe I will fill those gaps
and 'member us again.

I've tossed out all the liquor,
and read the book you sent.
The sobering thing about it is
I've missed your main event.

To have a day, just you and me,
or even just an hour.
To start afresh and see you, Sal,
outside your door, I cower.


Writing Prompt
Share with us one of your oldest pieces of poetry, exactly as you wrote it. It doesn?t need to be your earliest work - just something old enough that you can see your progression as a writer. I want to see all those excessive ellipses, capitals at the start of every line, the abundance of semicolons, the pretentious repetition, the unnecessary line spaces that are.....

SO.....

IMPORTANT....

to my art!

I want you to swear on your honour you won't edit it before posting (adding an image is allowed, as we're in Fanstory Land). Other than that, no limitations.

Previous entrants are more than welcome, but remember these must be pieces you haven?t shared previously on Fanstory. Go digging in your old school notebooks with random scribblings in them - find us something fun and interesting!

Show us Your Early Poetry Vol. 3
Contest Winner

Recognized

#31
July
2022


Thank you for reading. I wrote this poem in 2020 and stored it in FanStory edit. I never posted it, and as I read it now, I'm not sure why.

I do not believe alcoholism is a disease. It is a choice, and a bad one. My lifelong sorrow is being separated from my dad at any early age due to his alcoholism. This is the letter I hoped to receive from him, but never did.

When I visited him, he could hardly believe how much I had grown since the day he left our family. I was four the first time he left, eight the second, and nine the night my mother moved us to Florida to start a new life.

Although I sent him letters and updated school photos, he couldn't comprehend that I had aged. The last time I visited him was 1972 when he was living at the Atlanta Rescue Mission, and he still had the same photo of me on his dresser from 1964.

He was so damaged from his alcoholic lifestyle, he couldn't make it to my wedding. My brother, Robbie, gladly stood in his place and gave me away. Dad died two weeks later on January 1, 1976, two weeks after I married Jack.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.