General Fiction posted October 28, 2020 Chapters:  ...33 34 -35- 36... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Tin Soldiers and Nixon's Comin'

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attack of the 50 States: Ohio

by Bill Schott



Ohio’s flag is the only non-rectangular U.S. state flag.

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the drumming
Four dead in Ohio

May of 1970 National Guardsmen shot four anti-war protesters on the campus of Kent State University.

I attended a high school newspaper publishing class during the summer of 2004 at Kent State and stood at the spots where the students died. There are fixed pillars in the parking lot where they fell.

I've driven through Ohio hundreds of times on my way to somewhere else.

The Cleveland Clinic is the country's leading heart surgery hospital. My mother-in-law received a triple by-pass and two valve replacements in the same surgery; a record there.

Ohio in Seneca language means "the Great River".

August 1914 the world’s first electric traffic signal installed in Cleveland, Ohio.

The Wright Brothers repaired, rented, built and sold bikes in Dayton, Ohio, before building the first practical airplane in 1905

Chillicothe was the first capital of Ohio. It was moved to Zanesville in 1810, back to Chillicothe in 1812, and then Columbus 1816. 

Seven American Presidents were born in Ohio:  Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, James A Garfield, Benjamin Henry Harrison, William F. McKinley, William Howard Taft, and Warren G. Harding.

The nickname “Buckeye State” comes from the buckeye tree, which grew abundantly on the state’s plains and hills.

Akron, Ohio is nicknamed as the Rubber Capital of the World. Goodyear was founded in 1899.

Farming is Ohio’s number one industry and contributes more than $100 billion to the state’s economy. 

The fire in a coal mine set by its workers in 1884 near New Straitsville, Ohio is still burning.  It is estimated that more than two hundred square miles of coal has burned. Smoke emerges from the soil of the Wayne National Forest.  This reminds me of the movie, Silent Hill.

The world’s largest annual gathering of twins is organized in Twinsburg, Ohio. 

The Cincinnati Reds were the first professional baseball team.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is located in Canton.

John Glenn –  the first American to orbit the Earth in 1962, and Neil Armstrong – the first man to set foot on the moon in 1969 were both Ohioans.

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial was designed by a 21-year-old, Maya Lin, from Ohio.

Ohio has the largest Amish population of any state in the nation.

Cincinnatti is also known as Sin City.

The Erie Canal reaches from Cincinatti to Toledo connecting the Ohio River to Lake Erie. 

I'm headed for Oklahoma.





 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.