Fantasy Fiction posted December 31, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Animal Crackers Club

Curiosity Can Be Dangerous

by damommy














It was a warm, sunny day, the kind turtles love to climb on a log and sun themselves.  Making her way along the path to her favorite watering hole, Bronwen was thinking how good the heat felt to her, and how anxious she was to see the old gang.  It had been a long winter, and she was looking forward to hearing how everyone had fared.

So much to see along the way that she hadn’t seen for months, and she was surprised to find the cattails already reaching out of the water.  Picking up the pace - yes, turtles can be very quick -  heading for the spot she always chose, she got a glimpse of something strange in the woods.

She turned to go back, curiosity take precedence over sunning herself, when she ran into Mulberry, a rabbit she’d known for years.

“Hi, Bronwen.  How have you been?”

“Fine, thank you.  But listen, did you see something out of the ordinary when you came this way?”

“I didn’t see anything.  You want to take a look?”

Bronwen and Mulberry retraced their steps, and just past the biggest oak in the forests stood a contraption, the likes of which neither had ever seen.  Admittedly, they didn’t get around much, but they knew this was something extraordinary.

In the clearing was a shiny metal vehicle of some sort with not one window that they could see.

“What do you suppose it is, Mulberry, and where did it come from?” 

Mulberry thumped the ground with her right back foot because she was scared, and rabbits always thump the ground when they’re scared, as warning to others.

“I have no idea,” she said.  “It wasn’t there when I passed by a moment ago.”

The door to the vehicle slowly opened and a ramp was lowered to the ground.  Out came a creature that was so strange, it defied description.  It was small and purple with orange eyes and every color in the rainbow-colored hair.  It waved one of its three arms and said, “Don’t be afraid.  I won’t hurt you.  We can talk because I understand every language spoken on Earth, even yours.”

Bronwen and Mulberry edged closer together, and Clarabell asked, “Who are you, and where did you come from?”

“I’m Drake,” the creature answered, “and I can tell you where I’m from only if you board my vessel.”

“Don’t do it, Bronwen,” said Mulberry.  “It might never let you come back.”

“Not to worry,” whispered Bronwen.  “I have no intention of boarding that thing.  On the count of three, turn and run fast as you can.”

“What about you?” Mulberry whispered back.  “You can’t run as fast as I can.”

“Don’t worry about me, Mulberry, my friend.  I can take care of myself.  Now, get ready.  One, two, thr---”

Three purple arms grabbed them both and shut them up in the shiny metal contraption.  The ramp folded up, the door whirred shut, and neither Bronwen or Mulberry were ever seen again.

 



Recognized


A challenge for Animal Crackers Club in November. I'm a bit late with it.

Club entry for the "Animals/Pets" event in "Animal Crackers".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.