Children Fiction posted October 12, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Pumpkin

My mother's secret

by Iza Deleanu


"She came from a country where they used to make pies of them, and also a kind of sweet stew, that she hated it. You couldn't buy it from a store, if you wanted one, you had to go to the country. As a child, she used to grow them, she said they looked friendly and warm. And there was also the name that sounded like the chime of a bell."

"Why, granny? Why you could not get them in the store?"

"You see, little one, they were planted just for pies and some were used as food for the pigs."

"But, why Granny?"

"In her country, there was no Halloween and carving! They were safe from that barbarian ritual. Even when she came here, in her house no Halloween celebration was allowed. She said, we are Orthodox, we don't parade with witches, werewolves, and for sure we don't play with death. You know she even stopped liking and using her name, because of Halloween."

" But you like Halloween, right?"

" You see little one, I am my mother's daughter, so I don't! But I have to blend in for you. You see I even bought a costume and candies for the children."

"You did? Please granny let me see!"

"Little one, please, don't spoil my surprise! You will see it when the time is right. Now let's go back to your grand, grandmother."

"Oh, granny I am so sad that I never met her. From your story she was magical. What was her name granny, your mother's name?"

" Her name was... Pumpkin."

"Pumpkin? That's funny granny, all her documents are signed - Lily. Now, I know why!"

"Little one, wait here I have a surprise for you. Here is my Halloween dress."

"Granny, you are a Pumpkin?"



The Pumpkin writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write an entertaining childrens' story entitled 'The Pumpkin'-(300 words- pumpkin can be real or metaphorical. You decide. Have fun with it!

Recognized


In my childhood, we didn't celebrate Halloween, because it was foreign to our culture.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.