General Fiction posted August 5, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Deep Secret /Short story

Wax Seal

by zanya


'Grandpa,' eleven year old Andrew began, 'do you have any secrets ?'

Searching for a word for the Times crossword, Grandpa ignored the question.

'My teacher, Mrs Fairfax was talking about secrets today, big secrets and small secrets. She asked us to make up some secrets to tell our best friend.'

Grandpa winced in the afternoon sun, in the conservatory, as he struggled to find an exact word.
'Darn it ,' he muttered,' this bloody crossword makes no sense today.'

'My best friend James and I came up with the best secret, Mrs Fairfax said.'

'What was that then, Andrew, your best secret, I mean? Was it the secret as to how the Universe began or if there is really a God?'

'No Grandpa, ' Andrew replied, giggling.' It was a fun secret. That we were identical twins and that we had inherited a big castle, but no one could tell us apart. Until one day a letter arrived with a wax seal. You know those old wax seals Queens and Kings used to seal their precious letters.'

Grandpa shifted uncomfortably in his rattan chair. He laid his newspaper on the table and glanced at his only grandson.

Standing up, he walked slowly towards the table where Andrew was doing his homework.
Grandpa was ill at ease. Together with Andrew's mother, Maria, he was helping to raise his grandson, since his son Hugo, Andrew's father, had been killed by a stray shell on his tour of war duty.

He wondered if this would be a good time to share his secret.

'Andrew,' he began,' in real life people do have secrets.'

'Do you have big secrets Grandpa? Will you share a big secret so I can tell my teacher?'

Grandpa reached up to the bookshelf that had  stood forever in the corner of the conservatory. He took down a large brown envelope with a broken red seal.

'That's so cool, Grandpa, a real red seal, but it's broken. Someone knows the secret already. That's no good for Mrs Fairfax tomorrow.'

Grandpa blew the dust off the envelope before taking out the contents.

'Andrew, truth is your old Gramps is an identical twin. My twin Louis was injured in the second World War. He was the one who inherited this old Manor House. I was the swashbuckling young man gadding about Europe.'

'Really Grandpa. Where's your identical twin? What's in the envelope with the wax seal, Gramps?'

'It's my father's will and testament leaving this Manor House to Louis since he was born five minutes before me. No one knows if Louis is alive.'

'But Gramps, let's check him out on Facebook. Are you on Facebook,Gramps?'
Andrew's green eyes twinkled with excitement as he scrolled on his phone.

'Andrew, how would Facebook figure this out ? People think I'm Louis.'

' Gramps, is that why the postman calls you Earl Louis and tips his cap in the morning ?'
'Exactly Andrew. It's an uncomfortable situation to be in as I get on in years.'
'Why Gramps, let them think what they want. This is a big cool secret Gramps. Can't wait to tell my buddy. Can I tell Mrs Fairfax?'

By now Grandpa was in the hallway, having dialled a number on his phone list.

'Good afternoon, Solicitor Haines, it's high time we dealt with this matter of primogeniture, it's been lurking in the wings for long enough.'

'Why Louis, you sure do know how to take your time...what has prompted this change of heart?'

'Haines,' Grandpa replied, 'did you ever read that quote 'out of the mouths of babes..'

'Right now quotes are not my concern. Meet me at my chambers, before you change your mind.'

Donning his trilby hat, Grandpa had a pep in his aging step as he headed out the door.'

                                                                       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


 



A Deep Secret writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
The topic for this writing contest is: a deep secret. Share a story based on the topic.


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.