Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted August 3, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Dialogue Only: So it goes in these days of Covid...

Majority's Rules

by Mrs. KT


 
Hey, Carole! What’s up?  I was just about to head out to get some groceries.

I’m calling because I read your ridiculous posting this morning on Facebook, Marilyn.

Hah! I posted a couple of interesting ones. Which one are you talking about?

The totally asinine one about how this pandemic is an Orwellian slippery slope for a nationwide vaccine and worse, the ruination of America as we know it …

Now, wait a minute, Carole ...

My god, Marilyn! I am so disappointed that as a colleague and a friend you would post such blatant garbage that can only be meant to further divide people. I thought you were more intelligent than that.

'Garbage?' You’re calling me to tell me that what I posted on my Facebook profile page is 'garbage?' Why not just post your obvious disdain instead of phoning me?

I thought if I phoned you, I could talk some sense into you, and you would delete the whole thing.  

How very considerate of you ... Carole, I don’t need you, or anyone else, telling me what I can and cannot post on social media. If you don’t like what I post, scroll on by. Unfriend me. Block me. I don't care. I didn’t author that article, but I found its content compelling and relevant. And I distinctly prefaced my posting of it with “Food for Thought.”

Even so, it's clear that you don’t believe masks are necessary, and you think this pandemic is a hoax. Why would you post such vile, unsubstantiated crap?

That’s not true, Carole. And that’s not the point of the article I posted. I wear masks. I social distance. I wash my hands. And I post whatever I damn well please on my Facebook profile page because all of these so-called “social distancing” hypocritical directives and our governor’s nonsensical executive orders have happened far too quickly, and as a society we have fallen into line far too readily for my sensibilities. We’re in the midst of a fear-driven pandemic as much as a viral pandemic. I have every right to post what I believe is worthwhile information to consider.

That’s just like you to crave attention, Marilyn. Well, you’ve got mine. And I can assure you that your beliefs are in the minority. In fact, you’ve done nothing but make a fool of yourself. Everybody says so.

Is that so? It’s called free speech, Carole, and we need to guard and respect that whether you agree with my perspectives or not.

I agree with what the media reports and what the scientists have to say about this pandemic …

The media and scientists are not gods, Carole. And if I were you, I would do a bit of research yourself on their motives and credibility. As for free speech, I see where you stand. It’s only “free” if it conforms to the majority’s narrative.  Opinions, thoughts, perspectives, seeing the world through a different lens, exploring a different point of view – if one dares to do so – are only acceptable if they conform to the majority’s opinions, thoughts, and perspectives.  If they don’t, well, as you have so kindly shared, the speaker pays a price; he or she is publicly vilified and accused of spreading propaganda and furthering societal divisiveness.  An incredibly arrogant and myopic way of looking at, and responding to, the chaos currently polarizing our nation.

I’m telling you again, Marilyn, for your own good …

You are not “telling” me a damn thing, Carole.  Now … if you would like to sit down and have a reasonable conversation, I am open to that. But to do so would require that you actually listen to what I have to say and vice-versa. Just spewing forth condescending “word salad” with the intent of forcing me to accept your perspective would certainly not be an exercise in free speech, discourse, or friendship.

You are free to say what you want, Marilyn. But you are accountable for what you say and how you say it.

As are we all, Carole. As are we all …
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 



Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mrs. KT All rights reserved.
Mrs. KT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.