General Fiction posted August 1, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A visit to mom's former lover turned into a romance

My Uncle

by Jasmine Girl

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.
It was a Sunday morning. Mother said she was leaving for work. Father hollered: "You god damn woman, get out of here. Go, stay with your fucking boyfriend. You all get out of here, get out of my house!"

Father had just awakened. His eyes were still fogged. He sat on the bed, meditated for a while, and then stood up. He stumbled a few steps toward the door and poked his head out of his room.

"Meihua, come back. Who said you could go?" He caught me before I slipped out the door. "Go to the kitchen and see if the garbage needs to be emptied. God damn shit! Why do you always have to be reminded?" Waving a filthy athletic shoe in his hand, he stared at me with his half-open, beady eyes. It seemed he might throw the shoe at my head if I did not obey him. I went to the kitchen and did as I was told.

"Where are you going?" Father saw me put on my tight nylon sweater which showed my two small breasts, and a few dabs of blush on my round face.

"I'm going to work!" I said and slammed the door behind me.

It was a cold winter day. The sun moved slowly from behind the white clouds like a shy girl. Water from melting ice was dripping from the roof. "Dita, dita." It sounded so crisp. With slightly softening soil under my feet, I opened the metal buttons on my grey down-coat and untied the blue wool scarf from my face. I breathed deeply and let the fresh air enter my nostrils and flow into my lungs. What a beautiful day! I wanted to cry out. Everything was going exactly as I had planned. Father was right about Mother meeting her boyfriend. But he did not know my secret. I was going to see one of Mother's boyfriends too, of course a different one. I used to call him "Uncle".

It was eight years since I had last seen Uncle Weiming. I had lost track of him completely, but I was quite sure that he was still working at the same place. People in China do not move until they scuff a hole deep enough to bury themselves. Therefore, what should I do if I wanted to visit him? Just go to the factory? Like the old saying says, if you want to go north, just follow the North Star. In this case I followed my instinct.

Sitting on the bus, I gazed at the trees that passed by so fast that I wished the bus would slow down. Questions kept going through my mind. What was I doing here? Visiting Mother's old lover who had disappeared eight years ago? Begging a married 35 years old man to be my father while I was old enough to be his lover? Asking him to be my sister Mingming's father again when Mingming did not even know he existed? It was like I was trying to pick up an old rotten melon. My only accomplishment could be to soil my hands.

But in the last couple of weeks, a memory kept haunting me.

It was in 1976, a few weeks after Chairman Mao had died. In an early afternoon, Uncle wandered into our one-story red brick apartment without knocking and sat down on a chair by the dining table. Father, who had used to Mother's varieties of friends, nodded stiffly and walked out of the door.

"Uncle!" Having not seen him in two weeks, I was excited. Uncle looked at me and did not respond. "I'll get Mom for you!" I went in front of Mom's bedroom where door was shut closed. "Mom, Uncle is here." I knocked.

"Yes, just a minute." In a while Mother strolled out with a cigarette in her mouth. She closed the bedroom door (where she had a visitor) and sat next to Uncle. They both kept silent for a while.

"Got someone new?" Uncle directed his chin toward Mother's closed bedroom.

"It's none of your business."

"You pick up fast. Let me say this, if I may. I know who he is. He is a notorious asshole."

"OK!" Mother stood up, ran into her bedroom and rushed back with a paper box in her hand. She opened the box and smacked the whole box of photos of hers and Uncle's onto Uncle's face. "Get out of here, I don't need you anymore! You'd better go back to your pretty young girlfriend!"

Uncle rose and strode out of the door.

"Uncle, don't go! Uncle, come back!" I chased him and burst into tears.

From then on, laughter and happiness had disappeared in my life. My heart along with those memories had become frozen until now. There had been enough chaos at home. My quiet, hard-working nature had pleased Mother and Father. I had become such a useful child for them. Gradually I had taken over the household. I cooked, I shopped and I even managed the money. When Mother had a problem, she would complain to me; when Father was hungry, he would ask me to make something for him to eat. I had been used to the life and felt proud for the responsibilities until I went to college. My vision for life suddenly changed. I realized people did laugh and joke in life; life did not just consist of constant working. I felt incompetent. I needed help. But who could help me? Uncle, the long disappearing Uncle suddenly came back into my memory. "Go to see him. Go to see him." A voice was telling me.

The sun hid behind a cloud for a moment after I got off the bus. Bicyclists, wearing tight blue jeans and red or green down-coats, mingled with the slow moving trolleybuses on the street. The riders shrugged their shoulders. They tried to shrink into their jackets as much as possible to be sheltered from the cold wind. Bags of groceries on both sides of the bicycle handlebars bounced against the wheels. A gust of wind blew into my clothes. I shivered. I snapped closed all the buttons on my down coat, pulled up the zipper as well, and wrapped my scarf around my face.

While walking toward the factory, I felt my heart beating faster. What was I going to say? Uncle's involvement with my mother had not brought him good luck. Seven years ago, he had been sentenced to two years community service, while Mother served two years in prison for reading Western books and having an extramarital affair. Maybe he was sweeping the floor, or cleaning bathrooms now. The Deng Xiaoping government could not immediately resolve millions of cases like that. Besides, it was not even a political case. My visit could cause him more trouble.

The dull-colored factory building gradually appeared in front of me. Although it was just a one-story, flat-roofed warehouse, it seemed as big as a mountain. A white board painted with the words "Beijing Automobile Parts Factory" was hung on the one of the pillars of the gate, glowing under the sun. I took out a piece of toilet paper in my pocket and wrote down the address. Yes, I had arrived, I said to myself, as cold sweat icily ran down my back.

"Hey, girl, do you need any help?" Like a ghost, a little old man suddenly materialized in front of me.

"I want to ... want to see Wang Meiling." I stuttered. In the panic, I told him my mother's name.

"Who?" After returning to his little station next to the factory gate, the guard glanced at me over the top of his glasses and blinked his raisin eyes.

I did not answer him, instead I stared.

"Oh, I know who you are talking about. She's not here anymore. She...she...was arrested years ago." Then he leaned closer to me across the windowsill, widening his lids. "Hey, girl, do you know what kind of crime she has committed? If it was a political crime, she probably would have been pardoned by the new government by now. But she committed both political and sexual crimes." Suddenly he extended his neck out of the window and spit onto the ground. "To tell the truth, I hate to dirty my mouth. I doubt if she's ever going to be pardoned. Stay away from her!"

I could feel my face burning down over my neck. I wanted to dig a hole on the ground to duck into. When I was just about to escape, I caught a glimpse of some uniformed workers passing the gate. One of them might have been Uncle.

"Uncle!" I ran toward them.

"Stop! Where is your visitor's pass?" The guard jumped out of the station, arms akimbo. His eyes searched through my body. "Oh, I know who you are. You're that dirty woman's kid. I can tell from your face. Get out of here, shit!"

I turned around and ran away as fast as I could. When I got home, my heart was still pounding like a drum. The next day I wrote a letter to Uncle at the factory.

Dear Uncle,
It has been so many years since you last saw me. I do not know whether you still remember me or not; or if you do, whether you would still recognize me on the street. I am a college student now. I passed the college entrance exam and entered Beijing University. I was the number one student in my high school class, and I think you would be proud of me.

Things have hardly changed since you left. Do you still remember my sister Mingming? She is a very intelligent girl. If given a little push, she could become an outstanding student. But that has not happened. My parents are unwilling to give her any attention.

Recently, Mother has revealed to me that you are actually Mingming's father. I am not surprised, but I wish you were kind enough to take her away.

I am approaching adulthood. There are things I do not understand when I look back on my life. Maybe you could help me.

Meihua

While enjoying the excitement of this bold adventure, I could not guess if I would receive an answer to my letter. Somehow, deep in my sixth sense, I felt confident. I was quietly, secretly, waiting for a reply.

The following Monday, there was a letter on my bed at home.

Dear Meihua,
I was so glad to receive your letter. I have not forgotten you. I
still remember your big beautiful eyes staring at me, trying to get
me to tell you stories. I can also recall vividly our long evenings
together, talking about China's future. You are one of the most beautiful
memories of those turbulent years.

Concerning Mingming, the issue is much more complicated than you can imagine. Societal pressures are too great. She could suddenly
become the center of attention at school, be trashed as an evil,
illegitimate child. I think maybe we should meet sometime and talk. How about next Thursday, five O'clock at the Lidou Subway Station? You can write me to say whether that suits you or not.

Fondly,
Weiming


I picked him out easily from the crowd around the subway station. His face had not changed much, high cheek bones, long straight nose and sharp eyes. His unusual curly hair made him stand out among Chinese. Age had turned him from a pale young man into a stout man with a slightly bulging belly and weathered skin. I ran toward him. When I had nearly reached him, I stopped, and said, "Uncle?" He was smiling at me, his swarthy face glowing in the dusk. I did not want to shake hands, the gesture seemed awkward to me. A hug was even more out of the question.

Finally, I uttered, "It's nice...nice to see you." I cast down my eyes shyly.

"It's nice to see you! Just like your mother, what a big girl!" He came forward and shook hands with me. "Oh!" I nearly cried out. His big hands almost crushed my fingers. Then he threw his arm around my shoulders. We walked into the subway.

"How are you?" Turned, he looked into my eyes, and sounded so sweet.

"I'm Ok."

"How is your mother?"

"As usual."

"What's new with your father, your brother and sister?"

"As usual."

"How is the family situation in general?"

"As usual."

"What is it about all these 'as usual's?"

"Don't you remember? Don't you remember anything about them? Don't you remember how horrible it is? You walked away scot free. You walked away!" I snapped at him. Before he could react, I bolted toward the train. He followed me. We sat next to each other on a bench as the train rattled down the track. He was quietly looking at the window on the opposite side. In the reflection I could see his solemn face. No longer able to hold them back, my tears streamed down.

Uncle passed me a handkerchief. "I know life has not been easy for you. But I want you to know how lucky you are. You are in college. You should appreciate what you've got." He paused, embracing my shoulders with his arm. "I used to dream of going to college. But I never got the chance to."

Uncle's father was a banker before the Communists took over. He was in high school when the "Cultural Revolution" came along. After wandering for a few years without a job or home, he was assigned to work in "Beijing Automobile Parts factory", which was a good luck compared with thousands of high school graduates who were forced to spend their lives working in the countryside.

He sighed and continued. "Now it's too late for me to go to college. I'm old and have forgotten most of the things I learned in school." He gazed out the subway window. His tone implied some kind of grief and repentance that I had never heard from him before. In my memories, he had always been a young and happy person.

By the time we left the subway station, it was already dark downtown. In the lighted streets, people rushed back and forth, bicycle bells ringing around us, stores closing.

Uncle walked me to the bus stop. As we were waiting, the question finally burst out. "Are you going to take Mingming away?"

A gust of wind blew my question past his ears. He did not respond.

"I know I shouldn't get into this. Please take her away, please!" I snatched his coat, pulling and shaking violently. "She's twelve years old and has already got into drinking and smoking." I cried.

"Meihua, your bus is here." He pushed me through the door. "Goodbye, college student! Write to me!"

The bus lunged. I did not answer him and cried all the way home.

I went back to school after winter vacation was over. My college life had been very quiet. Nothing went on except for studying. Students had become very diligent after ten years wasted during the "Cultural Revolution". We did not have a choice anyway. No dates or parties were permitted on campus except for special occasions. We had to be in our dormitories before eleven O'clock at night. Therefore, I had plenty of time to satisfy Uncle's expectations --- studying hard. But things did not progress wholly that way. It was impossible to keep my mind working on physics and mathematics 12 hours a day. Although I made myself sit in the library after classes, my mind was often miles away, fantasizing romantic relationships.

I kept writing to Uncle from time to time. His answers were usually short and matter of fact, mostly about his work and his new job in the purchasing department. He rarely mentioned his family. I was not eager to see him again. He had acquired a different image after I had met him. It was hard connecting the Uncle of reality with the Uncle of my memories. First, he seemed not as handsome as earlier. After many years of cultivation, he had changed into an ordinary working man from a rich playboy. Somehow, I had felt responsible for finding Mingming's real father, although his disinterest toward her had surprised me. In the back of my mind, I probably needed him too. But I had not figured out how. I did not confide in Mother until I received a letter from Uncle one day.

It was Sunday afternoon. After taking the mail out the mailbox, I found Uncle's letter and tore it open.

Dear Meihua,
I have not heard from you in a while. My new job in the purchasing department is very challenging. I realize how much I must learn. Last Sunday, I visited the area where your family lived. I rode my bicycle down the street, hoping to encounter you. But I was disappointed. Then I went to the apartment building. I saw your shadow, outlined on the curtain. I tried to imagine you laughing, joking. I stood there for two hours until my hands were frozen, my legs numb......

Fondly,
Weiming

The letter made me realize that he was still the old romantic of eight years ago. Since I was so lonely and unhappy, I thought he was the one who truly liked me and needed me. I folded his letter, went to the bathroom, and read it over and over, until Mother knocked on the door, to see whether I was all right. I came out, red-eyed and face full of tears.

"What happened?" Mother asked. "Are you all right?" Then she spotted the letter in my hand and snatched it away. After reading the letter, Mother sighed and took me into her bedroom. "What's all these about?"

"I went to see Uncle Weiming, and then..." I told Mother the whole story.

"Jesus, why do you do that for? He is history. He is gone!"

"Mother, I'm sorry."

"No, I just don't want you to make the same mistake your mother has made. He is very good at flattering girls. If you believe it, you are in trouble." Taking a deep drag of the cigarette, Mother sank into deep thought. The cigarette almost burned to the end. Ashes fell on the floor.

"He was always interested in you, you know. He didn't want to be stuck with an old married lady like me. But you were still too young." She blew out smoke slowly, as though she wanted to breath out a painful memory. Then she stubbed the cigarette butt into the ashtray, twisting it hard as if to kill it.

"Stop writing to him! Stop the whole thing! Ok? I beg you. I beg youuuuu..." She grabbed my hands, bursting into tears.

"Look at your mother. Look at your mother. Am I beautiful? Am I smart? Yes. But I was much prettier, and I was smart. Please don't waste your time on someone like him. You have much more important things to do. Study, study hard!"

"Damnit! What are you guys yelling about?" Father tottered over pounding his fists on Mother's half opened bedroom door.

"We're not talking about you."

"Then don't screaming and shouting. You're going to wake up the whole neighborhood! You don't care about your face. I do." He turned and added, "I know you guys always talk about murdering me. Hey, I'm going to live longer than any of you!" He wobbled away.

Mother had never revealed to me that Uncle actually had been interested in me many years ago. I was shocked. I also felt sorry for myself. If only I had known, if only I had known...... It was too late now. He was married. But still he could be my friend, maybe boyfriend. Why not, Mother had done it. Having a boyfriend might solve my problems. Lately I often dreamed to be hugged and kissed by someone. I longed for someone who would care about me and listen to my complaints. But I did not like those young men in college. They might be good looking and good students. But they were too simple minded. Could they understand I had acted like a mother for my brother and sister when I was fifteen? Could they understand my mother's boyfriend and my father had lived under the same roof for many years? I was not normal. It was not easy to find someone to understand me.

Without telling Mother, I had accepted an invitation from Uncle to visit his home.

On Saturday morning, I took the bus according to the directions he gave me in his letter.

It was a newly developed area. Several grey concrete apartment buildings lined the road. Others were under construction, and their naked skeletons and innards were exposed, bare and ugly.

I walked into a side street, which was the only old-fashioned alley left in the area. The third door on the left was Uncle's. I went though the squeaky wooden gate between two stone-lion sentinels. It was a traditional Chinese house, with a square "four-corner" courtyard in the middle and rooms surrounding it on all sides. An old grey-haired man with darting eyes brushed his teeth in front of the shared outdoor sink. He smiled at me while letting the toothpaste drip from his mouth. I gave him a smirk.

I knocked at the door I thought was Uncle's. A middle-aged lady appeared.

"I am Meihua. I have come to visit Uncle Weiming."

"I am Wuhua, Weiming's wife." She took my hands, "Come on in." I followed her.

"It's nice to see you. I remember you when you were a little girl." Wuhua glanced at me, and smiled.

Good! I thought. She did not mention my mother.

Their daughter Qinmei was just getting up. Uncle was braiding her pigtail, which reminded me of the past.

"Could you fix your own pigtails now? Oh!" Uncle looked at my freshly trimmed short haircut, shook his head. "Do you still remember what I told you? Girls should have pigtails; boys have short hair."

I smiled quietly. Wuhua handed me a basket full of delicious "Big Rabbit" candies from Shanghai. After dressing Qinmei, we left for the subway station. We were going to take a ride around the new subway system.

Uncle's wife, Wuhua, was a typical working woman. She had short straight hair and dark skin. She wore an old semi-transparent polyester blouse, a pair of faded pants, and a pair of not-so-clean, soft walking shoes. Uncle carried Qinmei on his shoulders. She spun her head.

"See, Mommy, I am taller than you are!" she shouted proudly.

Wuhua and I followed quietly. I stared at the ground, counting my steps. I did not know what to say to her. She also worked in the same factory and knew a lot about Mother and Uncle. To my surprise, she was very nice to me. I asked myself, "O.K., what am I doing here?" Uncle had finally given up his crazy oath to "never marry in his life". He had found a wife, had a daughter, and lived like everyone else. Why should I not leave him alone?

A gust of cool air swept my face as we walked down the stairs in the subway station. The guards, wearing winter down-coats in the late spring, with their hands in the coat pockets, walked back and forth. Their faces were shadowed, backs slightly hunched.

"Dad, tell me a story." Qinmei whispered into his ear, while we all sat together in the train.

"Which story do you want to hear?"

"I want to know what happened after the 'little cloth boy' got lost from Linlin's pocket." She stared at Uncle with two wistful eyes.

"Ok. After the 'little cloth boy' slipped out of Linlin's pocket during her primary school graduation party..."

While Uncle was talking, the window on the other side of the train turned into a mirror against the dark. The mirror reflected Uncle with his child, and his wife watching them.

Then the scene changed to one that had happened fifteen years earlier when I was seven years old. Sitting on Uncle's lap, I listened to him tell the same story. Mother sat next to us, holding a cigarette. The clanging of drums outside the window during those noisy "Cultural Revolution" demonstrations still rang in my ears.

Gradually, the scene shifted to my home when I was fourteen. Mother and I sat around the pot-bellied coal stove, listening to Uncle narrating a banned story about Mrs. Mao's illegal activities right before the fall of the "Gang of Four".

Then the scene switched to another that had occurred in the same room.

After staring at me for quite a while, Uncle said, "Meihua, do you know you have a pair of very beautiful eyes?"

"Thank you, Uncle." I put down my head and nodded shyly. Mother sat next to me, smiling. "Just like Mother's." I added. I honestly thought Mother was prettier than me.

"No, you mother's eyes are round like peanuts while yours are long like almonds." Uncle squinted as though he was measuring the size of my eyes.

From then on, I would look at myself in the mirror every day, trying to comprehend Uncle's comments: you have a pair of very beautiful eyes. Although I always thought my nose was too flat, my mouth too big and my face too wide, Uncle's comments were certainly encouraging. After all, my eyes were beautiful, even more beautiful than Mother's. After Uncle had left, I became so unhappy that I messed up my eyesight and put on a pair of ugly glasses.

With the sad memory still floating in my mind, the scenes faded. Our trip finally came to an end. I jumped out of the train and walked forward quietly.

"I hope you didn't feel too cold in the train." Wuhua said.

"No. It's the darkness that bothers me." I answered.

She nodded. I was not sure that she understood what I was talking about. No one could imagine life with a mother who had both a husband and a boyfriend. It was a slow torture of the heart. It was like the subway system, an existence without sunlight.

It was noon. The sun struck my face. I had difficulty opening my eyes. They kept blinking for a while.

In his house, Uncle tied an apron around his waist and became the cook. Back in the past, one of the biggest joys of Uncle's visits was his cooking. I still remembered vividly how much I had liked his deep-fried pork, chicken and meat balls, varieties of stir-fried dishes, and steamed fish. He sat in front of our coal stove, waiting hours for the oil to get hot. Fortunately, the gas stove he had now was much faster. As I had hoped, everything arrived on the little table in the courtyard in about an hour. We sat around it on little stools. Uncle served everyone a bowl of rice. In five minutes, three pairs of chopsticks swam in the dishes of sweet and sour pork, stir-fried green beans, hot and spicy bean curd, and chicken turnip soup.

Wuhua fed Qinmei. Busy with eating, Qinmei was unusually quiet, except when she asked for what she wanted.

"No, I don't want pork, I want bean curd." She pointed her fat little finger toward the table, while trying to spit out the pork in her mouth. She had a hard time doing so because the meat had stuck between her teeth.

The neighbors were cooking and doing laundry in the yard. The stir-fry smoke and the melodies of the Peking Opera on the radio lingered in the air, like an invisible roof over the courtyard.

Uncle sat quietly through dinner time. Unlike the others, he did not have any rice. Instead, he drank white wine. Under the shade of trees around the house, his face was like a bronze statue, solemn and motionless. Along with eating roasted peanuts, he drank slowly.

"You are a student at Beijing University. It must be a very exciting place." Wuhua started a conversation.

"Not really. It's a very boring place." I answered.

"Boring? Why? I thought Beijing University was the number-one university in the whole country."

"Yes. But it's also very boring. Nothing happens. We spend our days in the library, studying, studying, and studying."

"Is that right?" She looked lost.

"But recently it has been fun. Local free elections had turned the campus up-side-down." I thought I should tell her about another aspect of my school. "Big-letter posters about reforming our country had covered the campus like a snowstorm. Candidates gave public speeches on the street corners and in the cafeterias, from morning till night. I had been to public debates every night. Sometimes the meeting hall was so crowded that we had to stand outside to listen. We discussed everything from the pros and cons of Communism and Capitalism to the Feminist movement. For the first time in three years, I discovered friendly, interesting students at my university. Finally, the citizens of Beijing West District elected one of our brightest graduate students to represent them."

Uncle and Wuhua listened quietly. Maybe it was hard for those who had wasted their youth in political movements to share my enthusiasm for the demonstrations, and to comment on the college life they had never experienced.

In a while, Uncle stood up, the shade of nearby trees scattered on his face. His eyelids glistened under the spots of sunlight. He put his hand on my shoulder, looked into my eyes and said to me, "I am going to lie down for a while. I'm tired. You and Wuhua can talk. Ok?"

He left quickly. Wuhua was about to help him into the bedroom. He pushed her back and said, "I can take care of myself."

Wuhua came back and sighed, "I am sorry. He is like that once in a while."

Seeing Uncle in such a bad mood, I began to ask myself again what I was doing here.

"Do you have to clean dishes?" Wuhua asked me, trying to put aside her worries.

"Only during weekends at home." I said, beginning to admire her.

"How lucky you are! But you'd better be prepared for it. After you get married and have children, you have to do it everyday."

"I'm not sure I want to get married." I said uncertainly. In my mind the idea of "marriage" still seemed far, far away. Love was yet to come, let alone marriage.

"Why? It's nice to be married and have children." She was really surprised.

"Let me wash the dishes, please." I took a stack of the dishes and walked to the outdoor sink in the center of the yard.

As I washed dishes at the sink, the old man I met earlier came up to me and asked, "Are you Wuhua's......"

"No, Weiming's niece."

"Oh, his brother's daughter?"

Nodding my head, I lied. During the years I grew up while Mother enjoyed her modern lifestyle, I had learned how terrible gossip could be. Gossips could chop you into pieces. Wuhua handed me more dishes and turned around, facing down the old man.

"Hey, what are you doing here? Does she bother you? Let me tell you it's none of your business who she is! You'd better piss on the ground and admire yourself in it!" Then she grabbed the dish pan from my hands and walked back into her home.

Wuhua hung some winter jackets and blankets outside to make use of the bright summer sunshine.

Walking through the house alone, I noticed two books lying on top of the dresser. One was high school algebra; the other was a book about international trade. I opened the second one, started reading. The clock struck 3. I wondered about my being here. It had been an hour and half since Uncle had gone to sleep.

I tiptoed into the bedroom. Uncle snored heavily. With his eyes half open, his rough, freckled face was red and twisted. His chest bulged. His hands were clenched into fists. It seemed he was ready to fight someone in his dream. The longer I stayed, the louder his snoring became. It resonated in my head like the humming of a primitive song, like a desperate cry, like the rumbling of thunder. Then it stopped. Uncle was awake.

He stared at me with red, sleepy eyes. I rushed toward him. He grabbed my arms and murmured, "Meihua, Meihua, is that you?" His dry cracked lips trembled.

"Yes, Uncle." I moved closer to him. He opened his mouth again and struggled to say something. But he sighed and dropped his head instead. "Meihua, would you leave here, please?" My heart, which had risen to my throat, now plunged down like an anchor deep into the sea. I quietly stood up and walked toward the door.

"Meihua, wait a minute." Uncle got up quickly, opened the bottom draw of the dresser and pulled out a beautiful pair of stone-washed blue jeans. "Please give these to Mingming." Then he turned around and never looked back.

The sun glared in the sky like an iron sphere, the air hot and still. Summer had arrived. Young women, wearing bright colored skirts and broad brim hats, rode their bikes slowly and beautifully. Young men, dressed in tight blue jeans and fashionable sunglasses, comfortably wrapped their arms around the young ladies' bare smooth shoulders.

I adjusted my sight, and everything became much clearer. I walked faster, trying to catch up with everyone.



A Deep Secret writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
The topic for this writing contest is: a deep secret. Share a story based on the topic.


It was a long time ago when I found out I was in love with my mother's formal lover. I have been over it for a long time but it is really a interesting story, one of the first stories I have ever written.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jasmine Girl All rights reserved.
Jasmine Girl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.