Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted July 20, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The opposite of 'Cancel Culture.'

Practice Being Nice

by Sally Law


My favorite teacher and real estate coach gave me wise advice. He offered it because he owned it; a wise man with many good years under his belt.

A former fifth-grade teacher, he was now standing at the head of the class at our city's real estate school, speaking to a packed auditorium. My husband and I were among the many in the evening session with 'Mr. Real Estate.'

He was unorthodox, to say the least. As the weeks progressed, we realized more and more what an exemplary individual he was. Add, he was hysterically funny. Never had learning been more fun.

In Florida, we have one of the most difficult real estate exams. I listened in horror as many classmates reported of taking the state exam two, three... up to eight times! On average, I studied four hours a day while working full time.

The most amazing thing about 'Mr. Real Estate' were the things he passed on to me that weren't in the Florida Real Estate Principles, Practices & Law.

He said on many occasions:

1) Stay away from the dumpster out back. Those alley cats are scary late at night.

2) Stay far from Beelzebub. (Beelzebub is the lord of the demons.)

Our teacher referred to him in hushed tones and glancing eyes. Apparently, our teacher had had an encounter with the dark lord of the underworld.

3) Never agree to show a house after dark by yourself. He pointed at me and said, "That goes for you, Ms. Law."

4) "Practice being nice," he would say. "This is the golden rule for life, and for all real estate contracts."

Practice being nice. Imagine that today in a world that seems to be quickly moving away from niceness... human kindness, decency, and civility.

Taking its place among some is the "Cancel Culture" movement. Unfortunately, it has cancelled and hurt many good people from every walk of life. If this movement is for something good, why is there so much harm in it? Love is the highest good, according to the Bible and all sources of sound wisdom.

Take the recent call to boycott Goya products by aggressive leftist, Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

Goya's CEO Bob Unanue has been unfairly attacked for being respectful to the President of the United States. Really? A man and company that employs many, feeds nations, a company that is benevolent, kind, and generous to its workers? Ocasio-Cortez also ignores the proven record of fine products Goya supplies daily to the American people.

My response to this is easy. "I won't bow my knee to this spiteful ugliness. No, thank you. I will load my double pantry with Goya products for the days ahead. I dearly love their canned coconut milk and organic black beans."

I think I'll make a fine meal tonight with products from Goya. Made with love, of course.



Recognized

#157
2020


https://youtu.be


https://www.pexels.com/photo/selective-focus-photography-of-hand-1654698/@pexels.com.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.