General Non-Fiction posted June 19, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The most charming man you'll ever meet

Whoever would have guessed!

by Elizabeth Emerald


 

Last evening, in the final stretch of my sweat-drenched two-mile crawl, a man parked pond-side leapt out of his car, gallantly proffering a bottle of ice-water.

His name is Joe. Introductions weren’t necessary; I know him well.

Scratch the “well”; its irony is wince-worthy. To rephrase: I met Joe twelve years ago on the job. He often drove me home and stayed for supper; we stopped on the way to scoop his “wife” Diane. (They weren’t married; Joe referred to her thus, he said, “out of respect.”)

Two years into our acquaintance, I chanced upon Diane downtown. She thrust forth her right hand, which was encased in a plaster cast. Joe had broken it. On purpose.

It was then I learned that Joe had spent thirteen years in prison; a year for each year of age of the girl he’d raped.

Yesterday, when Joe handed me the water, I accepted with a smile. It was 85 degrees out and I was grateful for it.

Besides, I didn’t want to piss him off by refusing; he knows where I live.

 

 

 

 





Thanks to willie for artwork: Thirst
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by willie at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.