Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted March 28, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Spawn of Harvey Weinstein

Not Me (so sorry if it was you)

by Elizabeth Emerald

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.
The author has placed a warning on this post for sexual content.

October 7th, 2017. The New York Times publishes a story detailing decades of allegations of sexual harassment against Harvey Weinstein. So begins the stampede to board the bandwagon.

Wait for me! Me too! Me Me Me Me Me too!

So many victims; so few seats. Sending backup ASAP.

Wait for me! Me too! Me Me Me Me Me too!

Ditto ditto.

Are we done yet?

Done with this Mega-perv—finally—but turns out Harvey’s not the only Dick in Tinsel Town. Not even first up, so to speak. Two years before Weinstein got busted we witnessed  the fall of Mr. Mickey Finn, aka Bill Cosby—dozens of unconscious denizens of whose drug’em/do’em den at long last woke up, spoke out, and commandeered their hard-earned Mickey-mobile to spread the loathsome word.

Though Harvey’s claim to infamy is rightly trumped by his appalling predecessor-in-crime, King Knock-Out-Drops, Weinstein has since usurped the perp throne by virtue of his impeccable timing. That is, he slithered onto the scene precisely at the tipping point of mass outrage against his slimy ilk. Harvey’s half-mast head now sports the erstwhile Cosby crown. Hail Harvey: Harbinger of the sleazy sideshow.

The ever-traveling, empowered-sisters’ show-and-tell show.

Calling all survivors of the casting-couch. Yes, you. Shout out to all you Pams, Debs, and Hollies who’ve shunned the Woodies of their would-be bullies. All you once-upon-a-time wannabes who wanna ride that wagon train right outta Hollywood. Set those nimble tongues of yours a’waggin on your own behalf—that is, call out those pigs who tried to conscript them for their own perverted purposes.

Wait for me! Me too! Me Me Me Me Me too!

The train keeps a’rolling. The victims keep a’piling on. Make room. Add another another another wagon to the train.

Are we done yet?

Uh-oh.  With all the hoopla in HollyWood, seems we neglected the boors in the broadcast business. Television news. Mark Halperin, Charlie Rose, Matt Lauer: OUT, OUT, OUT!  

Radio talk shows. Even—horrors—Woebegone-is-me Mr.Garrison Keillor. And Tom Ashbrook, host of NPR’s On Point.  

Regarding Ashbrook: BU says investigators found that Ashbrook's conduct "created an abusive work environment" but determined that his conduct, while unwelcome, "was not sexual in nature and did not constitute sexual harassment under the school's Sexual Misconduct/Title IX policy." The university says investigators spoke to about 60 people, including Ashbrook, station managers and current and former employees of WBUR…http://www.wbur.org/news/2018/02/14/tom-ashbrook-dismissed 'On Point' Host Tom Ashbrook Dismissed For Creating 'Abusive Work Environment’ February 14, 2018 Martha Bebinger

OK, seems that Tom is a bit of a Dick, but it’s not as if he were waving the thing in anybody’s face, for God’s sake. His “victims” should get off the wagon train and make room for those who deserve to ride it. God knows there are plenty more where they came from.

And plenty more from less lofty locales. The star-spangled coasts of LA-LA land and NY-NY oh-so thinly sandwich an oozing hot mess of American sleaze. Weinstein Wannabes and Cosby Cop-a-Feels abound throughout this not-so-fair land. As do the unfortunate objects of their mal-intentions and egregious actions. No need to be a household name. Any qualified John or Jane Doe, Ray, Me-Too is guaranteed a place on the jeering squad. Approval is uni-versal—bi-racial, tri-sexual—whoever, whatever.

Yes, all you walking-wounded are welcome on the wagon train. Minimal experience necessary—the only requirement is that you’ve sustained a legitimate job-related injury as a result of A) assault and/or B) harassment. For example: A) Your boss grabs your tits. B) Your boss says: nice tits. *C) neither A nor B (see below).

Calling all column A and B claimants: Congratulations. You made the Me-TooTeam. Come on down! Hop on up. Sit on a-lap-on-a-lap if need be (it will).

*C). If, for example, your boss says: nice dress—without reference to, or ogling of, your tits—you need not apply. The position has been filled. Over-and-over filled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_Too_movement. ... (or #MeToo movement), with many local and international alternatives, is a movement against sexual harassment and sexual assault of men and women.[1][2] #MeToo spread virally in October 2017 as a hashtag used on social media in an attempt to demonstrate the widespread prevalence of sexual assault and harassment, especially in the workplace.[3] It followed soon after the sexual misconduct allegations against Harvey Weinstein.

 





Thanks to Linda Bickston for artwork: Judy, deep in thought

I'm sick of the gremlins that cause havoc here; see footnotes above.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Linda Bickston at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.