Mystery and Crime Poetry posted April 13, 2020 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A back story for this character.

A chapter in the book Assassin Nation

Seeking Information

by Bill Schott

Here are some of the characters and situations:
Red Appleton, President of the United States
---long time buddy of C.C. Connor
C. C. Connor, former Chief of Staff to President Sullivan and mastermind of Assassin project
Millie Manowitz, twin sister of C.C. Connor, mother to Samantha Anthra
Samantha Anthra, Chief of Staff to President Appleton/she murdered Pres. Sullivan
Manuel Kontroz, Assistant to the President/he is investigating what everyone else already knows
Ben Baker, aka Butcher of Baghdad aka Bobby Do, assassin
Jason Marr, Vice President
Connie Highland, Senate Majority Leader

+++++++++++++++++++
From a previous chapter:

Millie said, "There are people, however, who straighten roads and lower hills for me. Manuel Kontroz can be that for you. He is brilliant, intuitive, energetic, and lethal."

Sam stared at the butter knife she had setting in front of her. "Manuel Kontroz is a silver steak knife used on special occasions when the one in the drawer isn't enough. His everyday use would require his knowledge of sensitive materials to be enhanced. Unfortunately, his keen abilities are joined at the hip with moral sensibilities that may dull his edge."

"Well, dear, I think this metaphorical debate can end with the resolution that Manuel Kontroz is the diamond-edged scalpel you will need for this operation."

"He's also a two-edged sword," Sam said.

-------------------------------

Manuel and Samantha drove to a private hangar outside of the D.C. area. Once there, the two walked over to a retro-looking airplane designed for limited passengers.

"This is a bit of a throwback, Manny.  Did you inherit this from your granddad?"

He smiled at the implied suggestion that the plane was a relic and possibly not safe to fly.

"I have actually had it since I was ten. Over the years the analog instruments have been updated so as to make the plane as modern as needed. It was a gift from Dr. Wu."

"How do you know Dr. Wu, Manny?" 

"He was essentially my parent. He arranged for my birth, raised me, and trained me."

"That's amazing that I am just now hearing this. My mother must have known this all along. She and my Uncle C.C. were raised by the doctor too."

After boarding the plane, Manuel did all the required checks and started the engine.

"This is a Beechcraft G36 Bonanza. It was new in 1946. As you can see it has all of the original equipment on the panel, though much of it is ornamental at this point. I can actually fly this aircraft with my smart phone."

"You are certainly sharing a lot of information with me, Mr. Kontroz. Am I that disarming?"

"Representative Manowitz suggested that I treat you as if you were her. The meaning being that I should feel confident with sharing all I know and suspect with you, as I might with the congresswoman."

Manuel taxied from the hangar area out to the old, clay runway. Making last minute checks he throttled forward and the plane was soon in the air.

"When I get to our cruising altitude I'll place it in autopilot. Our trip will actually require a couple of hops before we arrive in California. "

Samantha presented a pained smile.  "Why would we take this plane if it couldn't get us to our destination in the most expedient manner?"

Manuel gave a combination sigh and smile. "I have full confidence in my plane and my ability. The government tends to restrict what I can do when I have their equipment. This way I can do what is necessary without approval, and I am free from covert monitoring by entities within the White House."

"Entities?" she asked, smiling. "Are people spying on you, Manny? Are you that important?"

Checking the elevation dials, Manuel moved a toggle switch and placed the plane into autopilot. He then left his seat and walked to a position behind them and in the center of the aircraft.

"Ms. Anthra, I am positive that you have knowledge about President Sullivan's death, the training at the compound, and other related facts that would help my understanding of the many investigations I am involved in. The reason that you and I are together on the plane is for me to discover all you know."

"Am I to believe that my mother placed me into a situation where you are to interrogate me? Do you feel that I have the kind of secrets that would require enhanced methods to access?"

"Your relationship with your mother is between the two of you, of course. There is, however, no doubt that we are here, in this plane, so that I might glean useful knowledge from you that would otherwise be impossible to extract."

"Listen, Mister Kontroz. On your best day you might make me break a sweat, but if you want to try something right here, right now -- you will fail."

"There is no need to resist. I am not here to judge or punish. I only require the truth."

A soft vibration occurred in Samantha's jacket pocket. A message on her smart phone.

"Seems like you have a call, Sam. You may need to respond," said Manuel.

Samantha reached into her pocket and looked at the screen on the device. There was an icon which had been sent as a message. She touched it. 

Manuel stared at her with both curiosity and a sense of intrigue. Her demeanor changed immediately. Emotion left her face and she quickly spun around and hit the toggle switch to release the plane from autopilot. Her next move was to pull up on the steering sending the plane on a steep trajectory to the ground.

Kontroz dove to the panel, but was stopped by a kick from a sensible, size seven, Fendi high-top sneaker with an added steel toe inserted for just such an occasion. The well-placed kick cracked his lowest rib.

Instinctively, Manuel spun a roundhouse kick that was uncommonly deflected by the woman. She simultaneously landed a jab in the center of his scrotum, which caused the expected reaction.  That move was quickly followed by successive flat-hand spearings to his throat, solar plexus, and already fractured rib.

A piece of metal trimming was grabbed and broken off by the woman and became a makeshift knife. She attempted to plunge the sharp piece of aluminum into her opponent, but Manuel was able to counter each thrust with a block. He ultimately was able to grab her carotid artery and cause her to fall backward. 

Now able to seize the controls, he pulled the plane up to horizontal and flipped on the autopilot. He turned expecting another assault, only to find Samantha Anthra kneeled and looking up at him.  Both stared at each other for a moment, until her phone buzzed again. Manuel reached out his hand, indicating that he wanted the device. She looked at the caller ID and pressed the name. Lifting the phone to her face she said, "Hello, Mother."













 



Recognized


Image from Google.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.