Spiritual Script posted February 18, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Hedging bets on heaven: his-n-hers

Have You Seen the Light?

by Elizabeth Emerald


This script comprises two monologues. Both acts take place in a bedroom: queen-sized bed.

Act One takes place the day after Act Two; this will be apparent in context.

Act One: Final Offer

(Jim is siting on the bed as he speaks)

I knew I'd be tormented had Diana died un-saved--which is, of course, why I did what I could to save her. Boy, did I sweat it out! Finally--with her very last three breaths--she gasped the magic words: Forgive...Me...Jesus.

Then--no breath left--she mouthed, to me: Thank you. Then she died. It was a miracle--praise the Lord! That, Diana--a lifelong atheist--in the end, the very end, accepted Jesus. I wept with joy--which tears trumped the ones shed in sorrow.

It wasn't until the next day that it hit me--and what a sucker punch it was. I've been in agony ever since. The pain of losing Diana is over-shadowed by this, the shadow--more than a shadow--of doubt. That is--how can I be certain that her conversion was genuine?

How do I know that Diana hadn't staged the scene--her final act--by way of bringing comfort to me? I used to say--pseudo-jokingly--that I would "get to her on her death-bed." We would both chuckle, but surely she sensed my unease. After all, Diana well knew--from these ten years of fruitless attempts to get her to see The Light--that Christ is paramount in my life. That--whatever the question--Christ is the Answer. Simple as that--all you have to do is get on board. Just say: Jesus, count me in. P.S. Sorry for screwing up--I'll try to do better--thanks for your understanding.

Diana would "get it"--in the sense of "point taken"--but she wouldn't "get it." That is, she remained utterly unconvinced by my argument for Christ. As Diana saw it--in all fairness, the way I saw it before my conversion ten years ago (thirty-two years into our marriage)--the Bible was just a bunch of stories some people wrote way back when.

There was no use trying to get her to accept Jesus--that said, I kept trying to get her to accept Jesus. Not all the time, of course, but off and on, once in a while. Mainly, I would witness to other people, in a kind of casual way, knowing Diana was in earshot. In good conscience--as a Christian--I couldn't simply give up on her.

One time she got irritated by my soap-boxing and said, snidely: Doesn't it bother you that this loving God of yours will be shipping your wife off to Hell?

I snapped at her: Of course, it bothers me! It torments me. I pray about it daily. I pray that Jesus will somehow find a way--a way I haven't been able to find--to bring you to Him, before it's too late, before you die."

She died. Died just last night. With a wordless message to me, after a stage-whisper to Jesus, she died. With a smile on her lips, she died. The question is: Why the smile, and who was it for? For me: for having brought her to eternal rest in Jesus? Or for herself, for having made me think so?



Act Two: At Tunnel's End

(One day earlier: Diana lies in bed, eyes closed; Jim sits beside her, holding her hand)

Diana's recorded voice:

It's true what they say: you do see a "brilliant, blinding light"--so trite to repeat--for which "words fail to do justice." The question is: does science explain the light--as the brain's neural battalion firing fiercely in a final, desperate defense before death--as I've always assumed? Or could it really be the beacon of entry into eternal life--just as Jim's tried to convince me these past ten years of our marriage?

I'll know soon enough. I should say: if Jim's right, I'll know soon enough. If I'm right, there will no longer be an "I" to know anything. A big disappointment we atheists have after death: with consciousness so unceremoniously snuffed out, we won't enjoy the satisfaction of being able to say to the Christians: Told you so!

Jim. Poor Jim. Such pain on his face. Forty-two years of marriage--a marriage that has prevailed despite the challenging circumstances of the past ten years. Good thing the kids were long grown when Jim became "Born Again"; otherwise, his conversion would have posed an agonizing dilemma, for sure: we couldn't possibly have reconciled our differences as regards how to rear them.

As it was, I mainly just tuned Jim out when he got to preaching. "Witnessing," the Christians call it. And--irritating as it can be--I totally understand that they are only doing what they are compelled to do. After all, if you saw smoke and feared flames were about to engulf a house, you'd pound on the windows and scream for everyone to get out. Just as Jim was simply doing his duty as a decent person--his being Christian notwithstanding--to try to save me from the Fires of Hell.

And Hell for him, surely it's been these past ten years. And, surely it will be so--even more so--after my death, his knowing that I died "un-saved." So, as my last, conscious act, I will spare him this torment: I will, in this my grand finale, speak those words he's longed--for so long--to hear from my lips: Forgive...Me...Jesus.

Ditto to Jesus. Just in case.





 



Recognized


Thanks to photosbyJulie for artwork: Green Tunnel

The theme here is reminiscent of my piece "Believe It or Not" which also features
a Christian/atheist pair (wife/husband respectively in that case). Religious torment has been the defining theme of my own life, as recounted in "Holy Terror"--my first posting on Fanstory.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by PhotosbyJulie at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.