Horror and Thriller Fiction posted December 9, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
2,243 Words

A Debt To Pay

by Mystic Angel 7777


Deep within the misty mysteries of the Bayou, there stood an imposing edifice known to all as Braxton Manor. Its menacing appearance and isolated location were intentional. The Braxton clan had no desire or need for visitors of any kind. They had always kept to themselves and intended to do so indefinitely.
 
Byron Braxton was the clan’s patriarch. Handsome and muscular, he struck a memorable presence each time he entered a room. Many of the locals found it odd that a man so vigorous and of obvious means should remain aloof and unmarried. None would ever dare voice their opinions aloud, since strange disappearances were the result of such wagging tongues. It was superstition and fear that allowed Braxton Manor to remain an unbothered enigma for decades. Only the few who lived within its thick, stone walls knew its secrets and none of them would ever tell.
 
Byron stood gazing through the window. He had an acute connection with the cosmic elements of the universe surrounding him. It had served him well throughout his unusually eventful life. At this moment, he sensed a disturbance that was slowly and methodically approaching his personal sphere of reality. The feeling made him uneasy, ruffling his typical natural poise.
 
A knock at the door roused him from his thoughts.
 
“Come.” His deep, resonate voice penetrated the dense oak walls.
 
His sister, Caroline, entered with her usual air of calm and grace. She had an elegant stature. Her finely chiseled features, while not beautiful by today’s standards, gave her an unforgettably comely appearance.
 
“How was your sojourn into town?” His tone implied he was merely making conversation and not at all interested in any details.
 
“It was uneventful. I was able to procure all we needed, but there was one unexpected surprise.”
 
“Surprise?”
 
“You have received a letter, brother.” She handed him the envelope then retreated to the settee in front of the fire.
 
Byron found it strange to be sent a letter. It had been decades since he had received one and instinctively felt this was the reason for his general uneasiness over the past few days. He walked over to the fireplace where the light from its embers would make it easier to read. Opening the letter, he immersed himself in its contents.
 
Caroline watched closely as what little color her brother possessed in his pale complexion slowly drained from his stoic face. It seemed an eternity before he folded the document and took a seat at her side on the settee.
 
“Bad news?”
 
“I’m not sure. It’s from a girl named Angelique Squires. She says she was adopted and has been searching for her biological family members. She wants to visit for Christmas because she found documents proving us to be related by blood.”
 
“By blood? That’s absurd and you know it. She is obviously some kind of gold-digger and will be dismissed when she arrives at the door.”
 
“She says her great grandmother was Danielle LaFroy.”
 
Caroline gasped. She now understood the reason behind Byron’s consternation when reading the letter.
 
“That’s a name I never thought to hear again. What will you do?”
 
“Prepare for her visit. It’s all we can do as I have no way to contact her. She will arrive on Christmas Eve and plans to stay through the next day. I’ll need to see the Riley’s immediately. We only have two days to get ready.”
 
Caroline rose and went off in search of the caretakers. She hoped this would not be a mistake.
 
Byron remained seated quietly in front of the fire. Thoughts of Danielle flooded his mind; it was the first time in years he had allowed himself to remember. She was the love of his life. He had been so afraid of losing her; he concealed the truth about whom and what he was. They married and were happy until the day she discovered the ugly reality of his vampire nature. She would not turn and he could not simply kill her; he loved her far too much for that. One day, she simply vanished without a trace. The ‘why’ was all too clear, so he went about the business of forgetting.
 
“You wished to see us, sir?” The grizzled old couple had entered without a sound and stood reverently before him awaiting instruction.
 
“Yes. We will be having a visitor for Christmas.” He eyed them with amusement as their initial amazement transformed into apprehension.
 
“She will arrive on Christmas Eve and be staying through the next day. By then, I need the house to be fully decorated and looking quite festive. The downstairs guest quarters will also need to be cleaned and readied. If you need extra help, feel free to hire who you require. The manor must be ready in time.” He raised his hand to dismiss them.
 
“Begging your pardon, sir,” the sullen Mrs. Riley spoke, “will a fine dinner be needed for both days as well?”
 
Byron hadn’t thought about food. Meals were foreign to his nature.
 
“Yes, prepare lavishly, as I am sure she will be hungry after traveling.”
 
The servants left to begin their lengthy list of tasks. Byron opened the French doors and stepped out into the cool night air. He didn’t know what this visit would bring, only that it would be unwanted.
 
The next two days were a constant flurry of activity. It was more commotion than the old house had experienced since it was built and far too much for Byron’s taste. In the end, the discomfort caused by the constant traffic of strangers proved to be worth it. The salon was awash in colorful, Christmas ornamentation. Byron had to give the Riley’s credit. They had tailored everything to a Victorian celebration down to candles on the tree as opposed to the garish light display he had been expecting. Yes, we are ready and now have only to wait and see what the evening will bring.
 
Just after sunset, the great door chime rang. It was so seldom used Byron was astonished that it worked at all. From the shadows of the upstairs balcony, Byron and Caroline watched their unwelcome guest enter.
 
“Well, there’s no disputing she is telling the truth,” Caroline whispered. “She is a mirror image of Danielle.”
 
Mrs. Riley greeted Angelique as she entered the great hall. Mr. Riley gathered the girl’s belongings so he could cart them to the guest quarters.
 
“Oh, not that one,” Angelique urgently snatched a small gift wrapped package from the old man’s feeble grip. “This is a present for my host,” she smiled apologetically for her perceived rudeness.
 
Mrs. Riley led Angelique to the extravagantly decorated salon where she impatiently waited for her host to join her. She would not have to wait long.
 
“Miss Squires?” Byron queried as he and Caroline entered the room.
 
“Yes. Are you Byron Braxton?”
 
“I am. This is my sister, Caroline.”
 
Caroline smiled and nodded in greeting.
 
“Shall we all sit?” Byron gestured toward the fireplace where two comfortable settees stood sentinel to the great stone mantle.
 
“Your letter did not offer much information other than a presumed connection to Danielle LaFroy. Tell me, exactly how may I help you?”
 
“I believe we can help each other,” Angelique replied. “You see, I am aware of your history and intimate connection to Danielle. I believe you regret what happened and would wish to make amends.”
 
Bryon and Caroline looked surprised, but unshaken by the statement. Only the slight dilation of their pupils gave them away.
 
“You say I need to atone for something that happened decades prior to my own birth?” Byron was cautious, he waited for Angelique to reveal exactly what she knew.
 
“You are much older than you appear. In fact, you were Danielle’s husband for a time.”
 
“My dear, you have a very active imagination. It would not be possible to marry someone born and passed on years before your own conception.” Byron’s voice was calm. His agitation became evident by the manner in which he abruptly rose and began to move pointlessly to the Christmas tree.
 
“It would be impossible for a mortal. It is completely possible for a vampire.” Angelique had not intended to let so much out so soon, but could not help herself.
 
“I know you and your sister are afflicted with the virus. You control and conceal it well, but you cannot change what you are. I respect the fact you did not force Danielle to turn and let her go her own way. What you failed to understand is that once the process has begun, the virus begins its work - on future generations.”
 
“What? That is ridiculous, girl! One must be bitten in the prescribed manner in order to turn,” Caroline vehemently interjected.
 
“No. I have heard such tales from others of our kind. I never thought it true, so I rejected the possibility.” Byron was visibly shaken by the revelation. “What can you tell us about this, process?” He needed to know even if he would not like the answer.
 
“It’s passed on through the bloodline. The virus remains dormant until the age of twenty-one,” Angelique continued.
 
“And then,” Caroline queried.
 
“And then you are transformed permanently,” Angelique began to weep.
 
Byron crossed the room to the girl’s side, laying a reassuring hand on her shoulder. “Am I to understand that you are approaching that birthday?”
 
“I am. I will turn twenty-one tomorrow. So I am here to plead for your help.” Angelique rose from her seat to procure the package she had brought as a gift. “Merry Christmas,” she whispered handing the impeccably wrapped parcel to Byron.
 
Byron began to unwrap the gift. The decorative paper and ribbon had concealed and ornate wooden chest. He opened the clasp to find a beautiful blue vial of fluid lying serenely in a bed of plush red velvet.
 
“It contains Sangue Debolezza,” Angelique stated. “If you infect yourself before midnight, the curse will be lifted from me and anyone else you might have infected through your many lifetimes. The alternative is for you to kill me before midnight so that I may die mortal with my soul intact.”
 
“You said we could be of help to each other and I fail to see how this is a viable solution. It appears you are the only winner no matter how I decide.”
 
Angelique looked deep into his eyes from her own tear laden orbs. “Either way you free me and release yourself from a debt you have owed Danielle all these many years. When she found out about the virus, she had already given birth to your child. This curse, for lack of a better word, tormented her.”
 
“I see. So in taking my own life, I save many; and in taking yours I save only you.”
 
“I know you need time to think. May I have something to eat while you consider the options? It’s been a long and tiring day and should you choose me, a last meal would be in order.”
 
“Yes, of course, it’s laid out in the next room. I should thank you for sparing us the discomfort of feigning dinner. Enjoy and we will be here when you have had your fill.” Byron opened the connecting door leading to the dining hall. He somberly watched Angelique pass through it then closed it securely behind her.
 
No sooner than the door was closed, “I say we kill her and be done with it,” Caroline sneered. “She’s a little nothing and you are everything. We’ll dispose of her and that will be that.”
 
“Caroline, leave me. I need some time alone to think.”
 
Before leaving the room, she hugged her brother tightly and whispered, “I love you and promise to abide by whatever decision you make. Just, please, make the right one.”
 
Byron stared blankly at the vial. It seemed an easy choice to make. All he need do is drain the girl of her life-giving blood and he would have discharged his debt to Danielle. He’d be free to continue his life as before. His eyes wandered through the room. The festive decorations made him think of a time when his heart was full of more than a simple need to survive.
 
Why is survival so important? I live in a world that neither understands nor wants me. There is no love in my life. No warmth.
 
Angelique returned to find Byron slumped down in his easy chair. The empty vial in his hand was all the evidence needed to know he had made his decision. Instead of the expected reaction of relief and gratitude, Angelique quickly gathered her things and threw them into the running car waiting for her outside.
 
“Mission accomplished?” Her young driver grinned knowing that it had been.
 
“Yes. Another one bites the dust,” she smiled.
 
She pulled a small notebook out of her purse and crossed the name Byron Braxton off her list.
 
“Why do we always have to wait until Christmas?”
 
“It takes time to study the profile and history of each one. It takes money to get enough Sangue Debolezza manufactured. It’s beginning to take a toll making myself into the image they remember. Most importantly, Christmas seems to be that one time a year when they are emotionally receptive to suicide." Angelique pulled out the file on her next target and began to study. Christmas would be here again before she knew it.



Merry Christmas? contest entry

Recognized


"Sangue Debolezza", which translates to "blood weakness" in Italian, is one of the five ways in which a vampire can be killed. No one really knows what it is or how it is spread, but it's the only known disease that can kill a vampire. Sangue Debolezza is extremely rare and its origin is unknown, so the chances of somehow being able to inflict this disease on a vampire would be extremely difficult unless you convinced them to infect themselves. Since it can be administered without the pain a stake or fire would inflict, it could be considered a type of merciful euthanasia.

Club entry for the "Holiday Tales of the Undead" event in "The Hellacious Horror Club".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mystic Angel 7777 All rights reserved.
Mystic Angel 7777 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.