Romance Fiction posted December 15, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The kiss.

Love Letter on a Clipboard #5

by Sally Law


Then Jacob kissed Rachel, and lifted up his voice and wept.
Genesis 29:11
~**~
“It's the kind of kiss that inspires stars to climb into the sky and light up the world.” 
Tahereh Mafi, Ignite Me



Kristen's life was filled with joy since her secret admirer had confessed his love for her.

Now, she had a face to go with her letters, and a handsome one at that.

His last clipboard letter had revealed many things, exposing a deep capacity for love and depth of character. 

Every day for two months, Dr. Will Lewis had ways to let Kristen know she was loved, and that he was thinking of her--a rose laid across her computer, an inspirational quote, love song, painting, or poem. He had offered his love first, not outward trappings.

It didn't take long. She responded so sweetly to his first love letter, detailing how she slept with it in her hands, and how his words had penetrated her heart. 

Their love had grown with each passing day, strengthened by their exchanges. Yet, they had never touched.


Love birthed from the soul is often thought to be the deepest kind. Both Will and Kristin possessed this strange and wonderful phenomenon, and felt they had walked from a dark cave and into the sunshine. 

Today was Kristin's first physical therapy session since her back surgery, and she had just learned the resident physical therapist was also her clipboard secret admirer.

Kristin had sent a return love letter last night via the night nurse to Will's hospital mailbox. She wanted him to read it before her scheduled appointment, hoping to speak to him privately.

The plan had worked. He opened her letter first thing, then announced to his staff he was leaving for the day. 

Kristen arrived at the PT gym with butterflies and electricity coming out of her fingers and toes. Surprisingly, Will was nowhere to be found. She decided to seek out her therapist for the morning workout and get going. Teri, Will's assistant, greeted her.

"Good Morning, Miss Spencer, how are you today?" she asked with a smile. 

"Good Morning. I'm a bit early and sore. I certainly need a good stretch! Is Dr. Lewis around? I wanted to say hello."

"No, he had to run out; but he did leave you a note, Miss Spencer."

"Please, call me Kristin."

"Certainly. We are all on a first name basis here. Let me get that note for you, Kristin."

"Thank you, Teri."

Kristin perused the coffee area while she waited. Her eye caught bowls of assorted chocolates, spread out across the table. "Hmm... my love angel has been here."

As soon as the note was in hand, she excused herself to a quiet area just around the corner and tore into it readily.

It read--

Dearest Kristin,

Meet me for lunch today in the solarium. I have something to ask you. Enjoy your stretching, and don't overdo yourself. I will be in the farthest portion of the garden from noon on. There is so much I want to say and express to you. I have cancelled my work day, and have no interest in anything but you. I'll see you soon. Just exit the side door and follow the rose petals until you see me.

I love you, 
Will

***************

Kristen was assigned a wheelchair until her back was fully healed. Oh, how she wished she could run to Will! "Drat this slow thing," she thought. She caught herself being impatient and stopped to pray. 

"Lord, thank you that every good and perfect gift comes from your hand. You have given me love, life, and now a future, waiting at the end of this path. Help me to be patient with my limitations. Amen." 


She took a deep breath and continued down the walkway to the indoor garden. 

She reveled in the beautiful sights and sounds, the song of the robin singing just for her. The mingling floral scents of the garden were intoxicating.

Her heart began to race as she neared the secluded spot. His smiling eyes were the first thing she saw--eyes so filled with love, they overflowed with tears. He was sitting on a bench, his wheelchair nearby. A place for her was readied on a plaid blanket spread out next to him. His gaze never left hers as he reached for her hands. 

"My love, you look so beautiful."

"And you, so handsome!" A nurse appeared out of nowhere and seated Kristin beside Will, then vanished into the greenery. 

"I just want to look into your blue eyes and tell you at last--I love you, Kristin Spencer! It feels so good not to turn away from you, trying to hide my feelings."

"I love you, too, dearest man. I've dreamt of this moment for so long. Please Will, kiss me before I die right here on the spot!"

Gathering her hair, he smoothed it lovingly behind her ears. "You are even more gorgeous up close." He studied her face and admired each and every crevice. And then, he kissed her.

He began with her forehead, then slowly moved to her eyelids, cheeks, dimples, and finally--her lips. She had never been kissed like this--ever! She returned in kind, kissing away every tear. "I hope these will always be happy tears, for you deserve every happiness I can give you."

Will moved Kristin closer, enclosing her in his arms. "There--did that do it?" he whispered breathlessly. "Are you recovered?" 

"No, doctor, not even close." They talked for a long time without speaking a word, lost in each other.

Will's soft voice finally aroused them to consciousness. 

"My dad is coming down in a few minutes. He has a gift for you."

"How sweet. I've missed your dad so much. Oops, I better wipe off some of this lipstick from your face. It's all over you."

"Before he arrives, I have one thing to ask. Would you mind if we had a change of plans for our Christmas Eve Eve date? A different place?"

"What--so now it's Taco Loco? You know I just want to be with you. But, a perfectly good dress gone to waste! I'd planned on being all dressed up in blue as you'd requested," she teased.

"The place I have in mind is very nice. However, I think you'll want to be dressed in white."

Captain Lewis arrived on cue, his face beaming. He held out a small velvet box to his son. Will sat Kristin aside and worked his way to his knees using only his upper body strength. 

"Kristin Spencer, love of my life, will you make me the happiest man this side of heaven and be my wife?"

"Yes--oh, yes!!" Will slid his mother's heirloom engagement ring onto her finger as he wiped away the flooding tears. Captain Lewis had to turn away from the tender lovers for a moment. He was certain he had never seen anything so precious in his seventy years. 

********************

To be continued in the finale, "To My Secret Admirer #5," posting on Christmas Eve Eve. 



Recognized

#41
2019


According to the Urban Dictionary, Christmas Eve Eve is now a special day, phrased as the eve before Christmas Eve. This phrase is especially popular with my family.



https://pixabay.com/illustrations/fire-heart-heart-fire-love-symbol-961194/
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.