General Fiction posted August 22, 2019 Chapters:  ...47 48 -49- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A magical land far, far away

A chapter in the book Miscellaneous stories

The Fiefdom of Tryfonas

by CD Richards


       
        
Once, a bold entrepreneur sired a large family. He arranged frequent contests in which clan members would test their mettle against one another in combat. Before long, things began to go awry. Due to constant complaints about certain people always being the winners in the family jousts, the overlord adopted an "every child wins a prize" philosophy, whereupon contests ceased being judged on merit.

Occasionally, he would concoct new rules mid-game, so he could eliminate the front-runners. When they complained, their ability to earn a place in any contest magically evaporated. If their complaints persisted, they would mysteriously disappear.

Some family members became disenchanted, but by now there was a never-ending stream of new arrivals. The loss of one here and there went largely unnoticed and bothered the patriarch not one iota. He lived a long and happy life, growing fat and rich as the undisputed King of his realm.
 




Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


One hundred and fifty words, exactly, as per Microsoft Word and manual count. Hyphenated terms are counted as one word. It would be such a shame to be disqualified, wouldn't it?

All good fairy tales deserve a happy ending.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. CD Richards All rights reserved.
CD Richards has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.