Children Non-Fiction posted March 10, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A bit of fun growing up poor.

Poor Kids Amusement

by patcelaw

















 


One of my favorite stories from my time as a poor girl on the farm was the day I went to the barnyard and caught a huge horse-fly.

I took it to my mother. She took a spool of white thread and cut off a long piece of  thread. Deftly making a slipknot in the thread, she slipped it onto the body of that horse-fly so his wings were free.

She then gave me the end of the thread, while she held the horse-fly.

After she was sure I had a good hold on the thread she let the fly loose.

The fly took to the air and I was having fun playing with my first airplane, not a jet mind you or even a plane with two seats, it was a flying horse-fly with nary a rider on board, that was making me laugh.

Truly a poor kid's amusement.


-Patricia Lawrence
3-10-19



Recognized


The photo of the horse-fly was obtained from an internet search.
The horse-fly was not hurt from flying on the thread, but when we were through playing with it, watching it fly at the end of the thread, mom required that it be dead so we smashed it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.