Children Poetry posted January 14, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Keeping little boys focused in the morning...

Did You Count to Ten?

by Y. M. Roger


One’s  I’m up and outta bed

Two’s  I gotta make my bed

Three’s  my clothes and then my shoes

Four’s  my hair – no time to lose

Five’s  the timer – make my plate

Six  says eat now – don’t be late

Seven’s  timer rings - my place is clear

Eight’s  brushing teeth and grab my gear

Nine’s  my backpack - check the printer

Ten’s  my coat if fall or winter

 



Kiddies motivational poem writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a poem that will appeal to young children. Any topic. Any poetry type.

Recognized

#2326
2019


Read aloud in a 'sing-songy' manner just like as if you were learning it in Kindergarten or thereabouts. There is minimal to no punctuation on purpose. Giving 'ownership' to each number for its step seemed to help in their memory. :)

Raising three boys with very short attention spans (no, I did not and do not believe in behavior-altering drugs for an immature brain!), we came up with little 'sing-songs' of simple steps to help keep them on task. This is very close to our morning routine chant/checklist - had to be sure to add the 'check the printer' since they tended to print out their homework but forget to put it in the backpack. And, yes, they each set a timer for breakfast since that's where they tended to 'get lost'. :) ;)

Routine is EVERYTHING for little boys! I apologize to moms of girls - there's no allowance in here for make-up and bad hair days - LOL! But it should work for everyone at least up to middle school/junior high. Oh, and a secret? They still use some of them, just not out loud! And, yeah, I use abbreviated versions of these kinds of things in the classroom, too. :)

Thank you for reading - feel free to use with your own kiddos!

Image of 'jumping cartoon boy holding backpack' from 123RF [www.123rf.com]
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.