General Fiction posted January 3, 2019 Chapters:  ...83 84 -85- 86... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a short story

A chapter in the book Short

The Cat at the Office

by Bill Schott




Mr. Mittlefinka entered his outer office and found a cat lying on the secretary's desk.

"Is this creature supposed to be here?"

Ms. O'laydee popped up from a downward-facing dog position and attempted to speak. She immediately passed out and crumpled to the floor.

Mittlefinka observed her for a moment to see if she was breathing. Satisfied she was, he turned his attention to the cat. It spoke.

"I should probably kill you now while there are no witnesses."

"What makes you think you could?"

"You're a feeble old man, and I am an enchanted being."

"Maybe I'm an enchanted being too."

"So, enchanted beings become misanthropic old feebs who hate cats?"

"I never said I hated cats. You threatened to kill me."

"I was merely thinking out loud."

"That you should kill me."

"Should PROBably kill you."

The two stared at one another as Ms. O'laydee rose from the floor. Looking at the cat and man, she walked around the desk and picked the feline up by the nape of its neck. It seemed bewildered and docile as she began throttling it.

"Good to be out of that old-woman body and into this middle-aged man."

"I'd think you would aim a little higher. Ouch! I think you pulled a muscle jumping up."

"You mean YOU pulled a muscle."

As the cat's body sagged, the secretary dropped it into a waste basket with a trash liner. She then removed the bag and tied it shut.

"Well, I'm going to hire a new secretary. I was the worst."

"Get her to change that litter box. I had some bad rat the other day and I've been pushing the envelope on the manufacturers specifications."

Ms. O'laydee turned and exited through the door carrying the loaded trash bag.

Mr. Mittlefinka stepped on into his private office, picked up the phone and dialed.

"Hello. Yes, I'll need a temp for a day or two. A young man would do nicely."

As he hung up the phone, a cat appeared on his desk.




 




I fully expect the first reading to be unclear. Please read it a second time and tell me if it is unacceptable without tags.

Image from Riddit
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.