Fantasy Fiction posted December 3, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Christmas with Bigfoot

A Bigfoot Carol

by mermaids


The big ape grunted to himself as he ambles to his cave. Light snow falls and he looks downward as he passes birds singing and squirrels scurrying though the forest.

"It's that time of year again. It is too much for me. I am looking forward to spending Christmas by myself."

Bigfoot turns to face Esther Owl. Her daughter Tiny Tina is huddled under her wing. The little owl has a deformed wing and will never be able to fly. Bigfoot tries to avoid looking at Tina and he grunts a "hello" to Esther. Esther hoots back at him and he continues his walk home.

As the big ape approaches his cave, an apparition appears. Bigfoot steps backwards. He falls over and sits in the snow.

"Biiiiiiigfooot! BIGFOOT!"

Bigfoot shakes his head and blinks his eyes.

"Oscar, is that you? It can't be you! You have been dead for centuries!"

The apparition is a giant ape, much larger than Bigfoot. He is australopithicus, the giant ape that lived in prehistoric times.

"Bigfoot, I have returned to this earth. I have come to warn you."

The apparition takes Bigfoot's hand and helps him stand up.

Bigfoot shakes snow off of himself.

"Help me! For what? I am heading home for Christmas. Let me sleep."

" My friend, you are way too self centered. Tonight you will be visited by three ghosts. Listen and pay heed to what they show you".

"Oh great, I can't rest for a change! This is weird. That salmon I just consumed must have had toxic waste in it and I am having hallucinations. Oscar was a big slob that talked to everyone all day long. This can't be real."

The apparition grows larger in size and growls at the unbelieving primate.

"You are warned my friend. Change your attitude."

He then disappears.

Bigfoot shakes his head and manages to stand up. He walks onto his cave where he lies down and falls fast asleep.

At the stroke of midnight he wakes up. In front of him stands Foster, the hermit Bigfoot befriended many years ago. He is a skinny man with a long white beard. He grinning a wide toothless smile.

"Come on old buddy, get up. We have something to see."

Bigfoot jumps up. He is actually glad to see the old hermit.

"Foster, is it really you?"

Foster runs over to Bigfoot and slaps him on the back.

"It sure is great to see you my big hairy friend."

He takes Bigfoot's hand and leads him out of the cave. Bigfoot sees his parents and the rest of his tribe. He is a young ape sitting next to other juvenile Bigfoots. Warm feelings take over and he wants to join his family. Foster steps in front of him.

"What do you see, my friend?"

"I see my family. We had such good times."

Foster strokes his beard.

"What else do you see?"

Bigfoot is puzzled.

"I see my family."

"Look closer, there is more to see."

"I see a few rabbits, a racoon, some bluejays...

Foster interrupts him.

"Yes you see others. Your parents always invited others to special holidays like Christmas."

The scene is comforting and Bigfoot wants to remain with his family but the scene fades and he is back in his cave. Foster stands in front of him, smiles and waves good-bye as he disappears. Bigfoot returns to bed and hopes he is dreaming.

At one in the morning, he is awake again and there is a bobcat in front of him. He is dressed like a king, wearing a crown and a purple robe outlined in gold. He is smiling showing a set of sparkling white teeth.

He doesn't speak. He meows.

Meow...meow..meow

Bigfoot shakes his head.

The bobcat extends his paw. Bigfoot takes it and the two fly through the air. They fly over trees, lakes and rivers. They land in clearing. It is Christmas present.

Esther Owl and Tiny Tina sit next to several wolves, foxes, racoons, squirrels, bears and many other animals of the forest. Many of them usually do not get along but they appear to be enjoying themselves. The animals sing a round of Ode To Joy before devouring a feast of berries and yummy treats. Tiny Tina does a dance despite her malformed wing. She is happy and excited.


The bobcat looks at Bigfoot who is surveying the scene. Everyone is enjoying themselves. Bigfoot would like to participate in the festivities but he knows he is an observer. His heart feels joy and happiness at he watches the gathering. He is especially taken by Tiny Tina who is dancing and hooting. A fox wanders over to Esther.


"This is such a fun day. I am glad that old fart Bigfoot decided to remain in his cave. Who needs a giant cranky hairball to ruin Christmas."


Esther laughs.


"He probably has reason to be cranky. We should have invited him."

The fox and the other animals laugh. Bigfoot frowns.
He faces the bobcat.


"This is not true. I am fun to be around. I am entitled to be grouchy now and then."


The bobcat shrugs his shoulders. He waves a paw and the two creatures are back in Bigfoot's cave.


The bobcat fades away and Bigfoot falls asleep.


The clock strikes three and Bigfoot wakes to a dark form hovering over him. She is a female Bigfoot wearing a dark robe. There is an uncomfortable feeling around her. She points to the entrance of the cave. Bigfoot follows her.


Outside the cave, the forest is partially destroyed. There is a foul odor in the air. Bigfoot blinks his eyes.


"This is not right."


The apparition motions for Bigfoot to follow her. They fly through the bleak forest and arrive at a clearing. Tiny Tina is lying motionless as her mother bows over her weeping. Bigfoot faces the apparition.


"This is not right. Tiny Tina can be saved."


The female Bigfoot points in another direction. Several hunters are sitting around a fire. They are being held captive by several Bigfoots. Bigfoot groans. This is awful. He falls to his knees and begins to weep but finds himself back in his cave. His friend, Hairyfoot, a large fluffy Persian cat is staring at him. The cat pokes him with a paw and points to the entrance of the cave.


Hairyfoot's mistress steps out of her hot air balloon.


"Merry Christmas you big ape! Come celebrate with us. I made some apple pie and Christmas cookies."

Bigfoot is relieved. No scary scenes. No weird ghosts.

"Francine and Hairyfoot, please come with me first. Someone needs your healing skills, Francine."

Bigfoot leads his two friends to Esther's tree. He hoots and she peeks out of her hole. He explains he has a friend to repair Tina's wing. Tiny Tina peeks out below her mother's wing.

Francine takes out her first aid kit. She places a splint on the young owl's wing.

Bigfoot's Christmas is joyful for him. He gives gift of wholeness to the little owl. Her mother is grateful and Bigfoot feels his crankiness fading away. The human, cat, Bigfoot, and owls then share Christmas dinner.








Recognized


I am a huge fan of Charles Dickens's Christmas Carol, so why not a Bigfoot Christmas Carol. I appreciate all suggestions, my usual struggles are with sentence structure and grammar.

I thought I would post my Bigfoot story again, he can cheer us up this holiday season.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. mermaids All rights reserved.
mermaids has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.