General Fiction posted October 30, 2018 Chapters:  ...29 30 -31- 32... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Chapter in the book

A chapter in the book Briarly Hall

Briarly Spring

by zanya




Background
Following the birth of her son Lord Philip, Lady Mathilde arrives unexpectedly at Briarly Hall, to the delight of her mother, Lady Betsey.
Lady Betsey worked on her needle point in the morning room, putting the finishing touches to a yellow bonnet for her new grandson, Lord Philip. Lady Mathilde would visit Briarly as the Spring sunshine warmed in April or May, she thought.

Meanwhile, she waited to take a stroll with Giovanni, after his morning lessons. Today she wanted to walk along the newly ploughed fields towards the southwest of Briarly Hall. Sir Alfred had instructed the farm hands, Andy and his assistant Reginald, to plant ample crops this Spring.

Hearing the rasping sound of carriage wheels, Lady Betsey placed her 
needle point on the table and looked out. At once, she recognised Marquis Gregoire's family coat of arms crest on the carriage door. The black and red Eagle, with outstretched wings, was unmistakeable.

The carriage came to a halt, just as Lady Betsey exited the entrance door.

As the footman opened the carriage door. Lady Betsey's heart filled with joy at the sight of her daughter, Lady Mathilde, cradling her son, Lord Philip. Lady's maid 
Dilly, followed behind.

"Mama, Mama," Mathilde exclaimed. "Kiss your 
newborn grandson, Lord Philip."

Stooping down to kiss his little fingers, Lady Mathilde noticed the baby's pallor.

"Darling Mathilde, it's truly a joy to see you and your newborn son, Philip. My heart overflows ."

"Grandma Betsey, grandma, " Giovanni called, catching sight of Lady Betsey.

Giovanni rushed to peer into the perambulator.

"Grandma, grandma, a new baby, is he my brother, does he have a mother and father or just a grandma and grandad?"

Lady Betsey's newly found joy faded at Giovanni's words. She struggled to respond.

"Philip is your cousin, Giovanni," Lady Betsey replied. " Lady Mathilde is your aunt. You may kiss him gently on the cheek. He is but eight months old."

"Lady Mathilde." Betsey continued," I shall instruct Mrs Goodwood to prepare the nursery for Philip. It has not been used for seven years 
now, since Giovanni was a baby."

"Philip may play with my abacus, grandma," Giovanni added.

The two women smiled.

"Not yet Giovanni," Lady Mathilde replied," he is just a baby. When he is older perhaps."

"Mathilde," Lady Betsey began," what a pleasant surprise to have you visit here at Briarly, so soon after childbirth. Why I thought you needed to rest for an extended period of time."

"Mama," Mathilde replied," the pleasure is mine. I am feeling much better now. Marquis Gregoire will be in France for some time and his father  Lord Charlois, is not at all interested in Women's Suffrage. In fact, now that he has secured a grandson for his dynasty, he is simply anxious to ensure 
a second one with all due haste. However I am not one of his brood mares."

The two women smiled conspiratorially.

"Darling Mathilde," Lady Betsey replied," it is always an urgent matter for our menfolk, assuring the dynastic line. But it is us women who must ensure our bodies can carry the progeny.
Your father is presently in Europe to ascertain lineage for Briarly. He is searching for our son, Lord 
Airdale, hoping to confirm paternity for Giovanni. So you see the presence of male heirs, sadly, does not always assure succession, Mathilde."

Lady Mathilde heard the sadness in Lady Betsey's voice.

The two women strolled along by the Orangerie. Lord Philip slept soundly in his perambulator.
Giovanni skipped alongside.

"Grandma, when will Grandpa return from Italy?" Giovanni asked. " Will he have stories to tell me about my father, Lord 
Airdale? How will he know Lord Airdale when he meets him? Will he have brown eyes like me?"

Lady Betsey's face formed into a frown at Giovanni's words.

"Why Giovanni," she began," Lord 
Airdale is Grandpa's son. Of course he will recognise him...."

She trailed off, remembering stories she had heard of sons being unrecognisable, due to war wounds or acute illness.

The two women walked past the Orangerie.

" Mathilde," Lady Betsey began," let's take a stroll by the 
corn fields and see how the new season's crop is sprouting."

"Why Mama," Lady Mathilde responded," it will be pleasant to walk by the cornfields at this time in early Spring. Mama I have never heard you speak of cornfields with such enthusiasm. That was always Papa's concern, was it not? 
Needle point mattered a great deal more to you."

"Yes," Lady Betsey replied. " But times are changing. Squire is abroad for an indefinite period of time on our family's urgent quest. I must see to it that Briarly's affairs are in order. After 
all I now have two beautiful grandsons to consider."

Lady Mathilde halted with the perambulator. Looking directly at Lady Betsey, she continued,
"Why Mama, you could assist us in the Suffrage Movement, with your ability to manage Briarly's affairs in Papa's absence."

Lady Betsey smiled a gentle smile.

"Briarly is my home. It is a joy to take care of it. As for Suffrage, I am not so sure."

"Mama," Mathilde exclaimed, " Times are indeed changing. And you are 
thankfully, attempting to change with them."

"Mathilde," she 
continued , "Hasten slowly. I now have two grandsons to love first.

Remember my aunt, Maude, who lived in London, widowed at age 
twenty , with two infants. Adept at needle point, she sewed uniforms for the Army and helped to keep the Manor going. I am lucky to have inherited her needlepoint skills. Perhaps I can use my skills to assist Briarly, or maybe even The Suffrage."

"What is needlepoint, grandma?" Giovanni interrupted.

"Giovanni, do not interrupt grandma," Lady Mathilde continued.

The two women and Giovanni strolled along with the perambulator. Soon they arrived at the outer perimeter of Briarly.

"Sprouting already," Betsey said, looking more closely at the fresh green shoots, above ground.
She noticed there was a large bare patch in the midst of the barley crop.

" I need to speak to Andy with all due haste and see why part of the field has not produced barley crop," Lady Mathilde said.

" Why you are a meticulous manager, Mama," Lady Mathilde replied.

"Let's get you some Suffrage matters to resolve."

" Briarly's future may not be so precarious now with two male heirs," Lady Betsey remarked.

Mathilde sighed deeply.


 




Image from Google Images
Thanks in advance if you took time to read this chapter.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.