General Fiction posted October 25, 2018 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
story

A chapter in the book Short Stories and Flash

Kennedy's Second Term

by michaelcahill

What If? Contest Winner 
















November 22, 1963 Dateline: Dallas, Texas
This is Walter Cronkite, ABC News, Special Report. The President has been shot. President John F. Kennedy was shot today as his motorcade turned down Main Street in Dallas Texas. It is reported that the President was wounded in the wrist by one of three shots fired from the Texas Book Depository Building. Governor John Connolly was struck in the chest and is in serious condition. They were both rushed to Parkland Memorial Hospital. The President was treated and released. Governor Connolly remains in stable but serious condition. He is expected to recover. No arrests have been made at this time as the investigation continues.

The attempted assassination of President Kennedy boosted his approval rating considerably. It had been lagging. His reluctance to commit to the Vietnam War had not sat well with the hawkish Republican crowd who backed Nixon, and still loved Eisenhower. The lack of victory in the Korean conflict didn't sit well with veterans, or anyone really. The United States won wars. We didn't tie, or reach uneasy stalemates.

To many, Vietnam was a chance to beat down communism and do it decisively. Nixon, himself, had pushed for an agreement, and achieved It, to guarantee protection for the South Vietnamese Government should they face aggression from the North.

Kennedy knew that North Vietnam was in actuality Russia and China. He saw Vietnam as a costly endeavor that couldn't be won without drastic measures. Drastic measures in his eyes meant war with Russia, real war, not the evil eyes and bluffs of what had come to be called “The Cold War”.

Kennedy's reluctance to engage in Vietnam was exploited as weakness on the right. The left embraced it fully as a commitment to peace, and they would add love and togetherness to the mix as well. Kennedy was not weak, he was practical. Vietnam was bad policy and bad legacy; he wanted neither.

The '64 election loomed and the hawks in the GOP gained power in the party. This was Heaven sent to Kennedy. He had long yearned to advance social programs and civil rights. If Barry Goldwater, the darling of the far right, could secure the Republican nomination, then he could pursue his agenda and set politics aside. It would be a true campaign of ideology. Kennedy was betting on the American ideal, and Goldwater was betting on patriotism and nationalism. For once, two candidates would campaign on their beliefs, unswayed by polls or pundits.

Kennedy felt assured of victory. Goldwater felt equally assured his message was compelling and the country would be swayed. All in the business of prognostication agreed with Kennedy.

The '64 election ended in a landslide of historic proportions. Goldwater managed to eek out a victory in his home state of Arizona. All other states went for Kennedy, several by double digits.

Kennedy's coattails were long. His victory had the feel of a coup. The Senate and the House fell to the Democrats by clear margins. Not since the early days of FDR had so much social legislation passed through Congress and into implementation. The Peace Corp, landmark civil rights bills and the expansion of the space program led the way. Camelot had seemingly become a reality.

From the Inauguration Speech January 20, 1965:
This is the dawn of a new commitment to the ideals of democracy where all men are truly created equal. I call on every American to show their own profile in courage, to be a hero to their friends, their neighbors and to their posterity. The world will shield its eyes from the light shown from this great nation, this beacon of hope for all mankind. I am but a messenger. These men and women who occupy these halls, messengers sent out to do your bidding. It is you who send the good news to all the world, we are free and we stand for freedom for all people.”

The country heard and responded. The mood was one of optimism and idealism. Prosperity was at hand, and even an uneasy peace held sway throughout most of the world. Kennedy was beloved worldwide, as was America.

Of course, a landslide victory still leaves over forty percent of the populace unhappy, and even bitter. Any misstep can raise that figure quickly. Popularity is fickle in the political arena.

Despite Kennedy's negotiations behind the scenes, Vietnam remained an unstable area and one under scrutiny by the Republicans. The old “Domino Theory” still held credence for a great many post World War II and Korea remembering Americans. Korea, in fact, continued to be the Domino Theory in action. The conflict remained at truce with no resolution. It was a continuous stalemate. Two fighting units, poised for battle, eyeing each other across the so-called demilitarized zone.

Vietnam was “Just like Korea”, the Republicans pleaded. The pressure for an armed response in Vietnam never let up and Kennedy never stopped resisting it. The Republicans pointed to treaties forged during the Eisenhower administration, negotiated by then Vice-President Nixon. “Do we not stand behind our agreements?” “Is our word no good?” “The world is watching.” So went the arguments.

Indeed, the world, especially the Communist world, was watching. Yes, they were watching and encroaching, despite their word to the United States they wouldn't. Kennedy was incensed and the threats behind the scenes were dire.

Kennedy quietly sent advisers to Vietnam, and the U.N. did likewise. Troops were sent as well, under the guise as non-combat instructors. In essence, we were there, though Kennedy still claimed we weren't.

Armed conflict was inevitable and Kennedy knew it. Many in his own party supported it. The Republicans openly and vociferously called for it. Those committed to peace were equally vociferous, and Kennedy publicly sided with them. In private, his support was not as strong.

Kennedy considered the Domino Theory to be a viable possibility. Indeed, if the United States pulled out of Korea, it would go Communist. If it abandoned Vietnam, it would as well. Then, why not Laos, Cambodia … the entire far east? Kennedy didn't have an acceptable answer.

Still, the cost of conflict in Korea would pale compared to Vietnam. The supply line to Vietnam would be endless and close at hand. The battlefield would be one familiar to the enemy and completely foreign to our troops. Kennedy saw no short term victory and was hard pressed to see a long term win either. He did not want to commit American troops to Vietnam, anything but.

Kennedy's assassination on May 12, 1967 remains unsolved to this day. The facts are well-known, the family yacht, full of Kennedys and close friends, blown to smithereens as it motored down Nantucket Sound, fourteen deed, The President and First Lady, his two brothers and nine others, many well-known. To this day, not a single indictment or arrest. The theories could fill a library.

The result was two-fold, Kennedy's dreams of space exploration, civil rights and programs for the disenfranchised of the country, passed in numb tribute. His social agenda, one he couldn't dream of achieving in total, all became the law of the land.

The Vietnam conflict he so steadfastly avoided though, became a reality under now President Lyndon Johnson, a hawkish Democrat, and political opportunist. He believed in the Domino Theory, and it was difficult to say he was wrong. His championing of Kennedy's social programs kept him in good graces with all wings of the Democrat party, and his commitment to the Vietnam conflict endeared him to a good number of Republicans as well.

The resurrected Richard Nixon was no match for Johnson's popularity across the board, and Johnson won the '67 election going away.

Johnson, ever the politician, could see by the '72 election his support among the liberal wing of the Democratic party waning. In a purely political move, he tagged Massachusetts Senator George McGovern as his running mate.

Johnson won a close election that year. Oddly enough, Nelson Rockefeller was considered the more liberal of the two and lost votes because of it. Even the inclusion of conservative California senator Pete McCloskey turned out to be a failed strategy. Johnson carried California by a slim margin putting him over the top.

Two days after his inauguration, Lyndon Baines Johnson passed away, and George McGovern became President of the United States. His first act was to call the troops home from Vietnam.

 



What If?
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.