Biographical Poetry posted October 11, 2018 Chapters:  ...35 36 -39- 43... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Post Revisited

A chapter in the book Poetry NOOK

Memory Imagery

by Bucketlist

The girl sauntered onto the beach very early. There was a tranquility which was only interrupted by the soothing sound of the tide . It swelled gently up, and then with a gentle ‘shhh’sound fell quickly back into foam. Her personal life had not passed without some problems lately,and she welcomed the solitude. As she walked along barefooted, the cool sand was almost sensually embracing to her toes. The moon was a vague ball in the sky as the sun blushedT from behind the horizon.

There was very little sign of life that is the hustle and bustle of human existence. However, different echelons were busy. Tiny crabs scuttled nervously along the shoreline searching for food. Or maybe they were trying to elude the occasional gull which circled above. Too, there were the universal flies alighting on anything that looked like it was decomposing or
agarbage. This beach was relatively clean compared to any others she had seen. The odd piece of litter seemed incongruous with the usual busy life cycle.

The light breeze gently pushed back her flowing hair, and the warmth from the rising sun lightly touched her skin. How she wished it was her man's touch. She closed her eyes momentarily and felt good to be alive. As she opened her eyes again, she caught sight of one of the beach bar owners in the distance. He was preparing for the day by putting up colorful umbrellas which would provide relief from the sun's probing fingers later on. The breeze fanned a briny scent across the beach. She inhaled deeply, and headed toward the bar.

The ships on the horizon looked like ducks in a shooting gallery - a clever trick of vision, she thought. The sun, like a paper orange, was pressed against a light blue sky. There were a few cotton puff clouds floating harmlessly across it. As she walked along, it occurred to her that the fascinating part of the beach was the mystery of it ,and the ocean. No one knew what secrets the engulfing ocean kept. Pieces of sentimental and monetary value from decades past could be held by the seemingly benign sand.

When she reached the bar, she entered and ordered a cup of coffee. The owner looked at her approvingly as he handed back her change with the cup. She took a place outside, and while enjoying the frothy Cappuccino, she perused the beach. She savored everything that her sensory system registered.

In a couple of hours the beach would come alive with the sound of children's laughter. They happily built sandcastles, and played at the edge of the foam offered them by the tide. Their guardians would read, or soak up the morning sun. Later, when the sun became too warm for little bodies, they would go home.

Thats when the ' beautiful' people would appear- semiclad in seductive pieces and minuscule beachwear. Neither of these were designed for much movement, or swimming. The beach would be littered with Romeos - all attentive to their partners until a bigger challenge walked by. Then, the 'Peacocks' (as we called them) would vie for attention by 'strutting their stuff'.

Lunchtime brought relief back to the beach until the tourists appeared from their hotels. There would be the French with their neat bodies and Mediterranean tans. Some of the Germans boasted firm bodies, others wore size 5 swimwear trying to support size 18 figures. There would also be the English who looked like white bread in a sea of toast.

After dinner was another good time to enjoy the beach ,while it recovered from the day's traffic. When the sun sank slowly down , it cast a pink shroud over the water, which glistened in the fading light. The sky would have a pink glow as radiant as a satiated women's face. The heat would remain in the sand for some time, until night spread anonymity over everything. Even then, the beach held many secrets of lovers lost in their own oblivion.

She drained the last foam from her cup, and headed back. Now, the early morning fishermen were sorting their catch for the local market. Their craggy weathered faces grinned as if they maybe knew some of the ocean's secrets. As she reached the point where she had joined the beach, she took one more look. Then, feeling the new life inside her kicking, she inhaled deeply, feasted her eyes on the soft ripples in the sand and the blue water of the ocean,.As she turned and headed back to the apartment. Yes, she thought, the beach was for everyone. It was her 'happy place'. She would return very soon.

 




Pinterest image.

Club entry for the "Imagery" event in "The Fabulous Free Versers Club".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bucketlist All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Bucketlist has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.