General Fiction posted August 19, 2018 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Chapter in the book

A chapter in the book Briarly Hall

Sir Alfred's departure

by zanya




Background
Sir Alfred, finally departs for Italy, in search of his long lost son, Lord Airdale, who may be Giovanni's father.
It was now late November. Winter gales rattled the eaves of Briarly Hall. Alfred's heart leapt with joy, as his eyes took in the view. Briarly must be passed on to its rightful heir, he mused to himself. Hopefully, he thought, that heir is Giovanni.

He reflected on how life had changed,  since Giovanni's arrival. A sense of hope had returned and he was determined to legalise any outstanding matters. But finding his son, Lord Airdale, was not going to be easy. Middle-aged men had a way of blending in  with the crowd. He remembered his own father, Lord Philip's,  search for his missing sibling, years earlier. He never really learned the truth about that particular black sheep of the family. Does history repeat itself,  he wondered.

Tutor Sanders arrived on his creaking bicycle, frost still gleaming on the wheels' spokes. Making his way towards the entrance, he could hear  whoops and hollers of delight.

Giovanni ran through Briarly's great entrance door to greet Sanders.

"Mr Sanders," Giovanni began, "Nonna and grandpa, oh what is the italian for 'Grandpa'.............agree that I may travel to Italy soon. What good news..then I can speak Italian to real Italians."

Removing his woolly hat and scarf and rubbing his cold hands together, Sanders replied," That is good news, Giovanni."

"Perhaps you can come too, Mr Sanders?"

Sanders thought it best not to reply. After all, travel to Italy would be an expense he could not afford, on his few tuition hours. HIs prospects were bleak. Not many people in Norfolk were greatly interested in learning Italian.Though he had heard that the neighbouring Dowager Spencer of Mansfort Manor had spent some time there in her youth and was quite an italophile.

Sanders liked the possibility, though.

"Perhaps I can make some savings with a view to accompanying you," Sanders replied. 'By purchasing just one pair of sturdy shoes this  winter, I could  save a little."

"Grandpa Alfred is leaving for Italy today," Giovanni continued," he has business to do and  people to meet. Grandpa hopes to meet  family.... ...and ....he will get to see the Colosseum"

"Mr Sanders," Giovanni pursued," perhaps we can visit the Colosseum?"

By now Butler Eames had transported Sir Alfred's luggage to the hallway, where he waited for the coach to arrive, to take him to London.

"Sir Alfred," Eames began," I understand your stay in Italy may be of many months duration. Are you happy with Reginald, the new farm assistant?
He appears to be settling in well, does he not ? Our resident farm hand, Andy, is happy to continue to help him out."

"Yes, yes, Eames," Sir Alfred continued," despite Reginald's war wounds, mental and physical, the outdoor farm work seems to suit him."

Eames cleared his throat. "Furthermore, Sir Alfred, since you are going to be absent from Briarly for some extended time, I wish to advise you of my intention to remarry."

Sir Alfred stood upright from his task of checking the latch on his oldest trunk, his father's heirloom.

"What the devil, Eames, at your age, you can still make the ladies' hearts flutter. Pray, who is the lucky woman who has succumbed to your masculine charms?"

Eames reddened a little before replying. " Why Sir , she is an employee of this household, Mrs Goodwood, gentle and kind and ready to give her heart to a man, like me, now in his seventh decade."

Sir Alfred stretched out his hand to Eames, slapping him on the shouder," why Eames, I wish you both, every good wish. You have been a loyal servant to Briarly, as has Mrs Goodwood, now caring  for a new generation."

"Why thank you Sir Alfred. Our nuptials will be simple, perhaps a cup of tea at the Town Hall, on the day of our marriage."

" Eames, no, not a cup of tea at the Town Hall. Not just a cup of tea but cake as well, served at Briarly Hall. I shall advise the staff."

Lady Betsey, within earshot, heard the exchange between the two men. Mrs Goodwood will oversee a second generation at Briarly Hall. Betsey breathed a sigh of relief.

Giovanni came running towards the door, shouting, "Grandpa Alfred, arrivederci......arrivederci...you must tell me stories of the Colosseum on your return."

Climbing into the waiting carriage, Alfred's face broke into a smile, as he contemplated the possibility of finding, not only his son, but Giovanni's father as well.

 




Image from Google Images.
Thanks in advance, for reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.