General Fiction posted July 30, 2018 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Joshua encounters a dragon and cousin

A chapter in the book GULBRANDR- God's Sword

Joshua Meets a Cousin

by Roxanna Andrews

Joshua turned his horse toward the Middle Passage. This was a ridge of low mountains with a passage straight down the middle that was used by the traders. It was a long way to haul goods but always worth the effort. The traders came but twice a year and the Wahalands were always willing to trade their furs, swords, opals, and boats for the goods they could get no where else. Some traders even brought dogs, as a good dog was highly prized by the Clan. As a result there were many wild dogs about, having broken free and run away.

The dogs could be heard calling to each other as he camped for the night. He needed to keep a good fire going and leave no food about to keep the dogs away. They had been known to attack and kill a man. No Wahaland he heard of had ever been attacked, but the traders and their families often were. There were stories that the traders had taken to training the wild mountain cats, keeping them on leather ropes tied to carts that carried their goods to keep the dogs at bay. Even the biggest and most vicious dog was still no match for the huge mountain cats. Joshua would dearly love to see one of these cats. He marveled that the traders could catch and train them.

Having caught and killed a rabbit earlier, Joshua now cleaned and cooked it over the open fire. He was careful to preserve the fur so it could be used in clothing or a blanket. The Wahaland women were masters with a needle and thread and could make beautiful things of fur to trade. All that they made always brought an excellent trade.

Joshua stoked the fire high giving it plenty of fuel to last the night. He lay down, but could not sleep. His mind kept going to his mother. It was strange to think he had come from her. She seemed so young and her hair so dark, how could his be so white? His uncles and cousin, Dak, had told him she had violet eyes like his. He wished he could have gotten close enough to see them. He was beginning to regret that he had not spoken to her. He had so many questions. He would love to see her with a sword and bow. Dak said she could best him, but he was still a youth. He would love to challenge her and see how she fared. His uncles told him many of the moves he used were much like hers. He longed to see that.

Joshua woke late the next morning, the sun already high in the sky. He hadn't fallen asleep until the early morning hours. He was now late for his next destination. He quickly gathered up his belongings, made sure the fire was out, and jumped on his horse which he nudged into a run.

Fader moved down the trail at a full gallop when he suddenly skidded to a halt, sending up a huge dust cloud, and reared, front hooves pawing the air. Joshua was unseated, his sword and bow flying, and he landed on his backside in the brush. Fader ran into the wood and Joshua lost sight of him. As Joshua looked to the path ahead, the dust cloud cleared and he saw what had caused Fader to rear. A huge green dragon sat in their path, it scales shone with an iridescent light, almost bright enough to blind one. It was some ways off, but as Joshua watched, it flew to within a few feet and landed. Joshua scrambled backward feeling for his weapon. His hand fell upon his sword, which he grabbed at the hilt and held in both hands, holding it in front of him. The dragon bowed low and a man as big as a mountain, jumped from its back and walk towards him.

Joshua scrambled back farther, never taking his eyes from the man. He was at least seven feet tall and had legs and arms like tree trunks, all muscle and sinew. His skin was tanned, making his white hair stand out all the more. He wore it pulled back at the temples and a thick bronze ring encircled it, making the hair stand up, then fall in a pony tail just past his massive shoulders. He wore a sleeveless leather jerkin, and at his waist a wide leather belt. Below that a kilt that fell just above the knee and on his feet he wore buckskin boots half way up his shins with bronze armor laced to the front. His eyes a deep green, his teeth even and they gleamed white as he smiled. Joshua could not guess his age, he seemed young and old all at once.

The giant put out a hand, "Would you like to stand?" he asked, his smile never leaving his face or eyes.

Joshua look at the offered hand and for reasons he could not fathom, put out his own and let the giant pull him easily to his feet.

"We have been waiting for you, Joshua."

*********************************

As the years passed the blue dragon continued to grow in size, he was a huge beast. He and the mountain cat had become companions and were never far from one another. They always hunted together, the cat flushing out the prey and the dragon swooping from the sky to capture it, grabbing it by the neck, killing it instantly. They feasted well most days.

But Dyster, restless, looked ever to the north, something called him. His companion would often watch him pace the cave then look out the mouth and make a mournful sound. One day Dyster grabbed the cat by his scruff and took to the air, heading north. He came to a stone fortress carved from a mountain top. He landed before massive wooden doors. He dropped the cat and waited. After a time the doors opened and man walked out.

"Welcome Dyster."


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.