General Fiction posted July 20, 2018 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Part 11 chapter 1

A chapter in the book Briarly Hall

The italian letter

by zanya




Background
Giovanni, now five years old, resides at Briarly Hall with Squire Alfred and Lady Betsey. His father is reputed to be Lord Airdale, son of Squire Alfred & Lady Betsey.
By  1923 the shadow of war had begun to recede.  A  royal  wedding helped to  raise the  nation's spirits,when  Prince Albert , Duke of York  took  Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon as his bride.

The environs of Briarly Hall resounded to the laughter and squeals  of five year old, Giovanni, as he cantered on his favourite pony, 'Giorgio'.
 This May morning, his tutor, Mr Sanders, arrived on his wobbly  bicycle for Giovanni's  lesson. HIs dog-eared, italian grammar book fell onto the path as he dismounted. Some loose pages were lifted by the breeze and landed beside the Orangerie.
"Good grief", Mr Sanders muttered. Lady Betsey will be disappointed. Today was to be Giovanni's first italian lesson.
 
Mr Silkes was hard at work in the Orangerie,  tending the spring shoots. He picked up the loose pages.
"Looks like Italian, eh", he declared to no one in particular.

"Mamma mia! Expecting some italian visitors  to Briarly, Squire?" Silkes called out as Alfred returned from his canter.
"Young lad learning Italian, then, why so..ain't the King's  English good enough for your grandson?"

Squire walked briskly on.
"World is changing Silkes," Squire retorted sharply. " War is over..need to get to know our neighbours better".

Squire Alfred delighted in Giovanni's emerging horsemanship.

Lady Betsey watched closely from the window of the morning room.
Squire Alfred looked like a man with a new lease of life.
Though still unsure of his origins. Squire Alfred had begun to accept Giovanni's presence at Briarly Hall.

Only occasionally now would he remind Betsey of their dilemma.

"What if, Lady Betsey, his father, should appear and demand his return"?
By now Lady Betsey had come to terms with uncertainty.
" Alfred, darling", she reassured him, "paternity is above all other rights".

Despite ongoing swirling rumours and whispers, Giovanni's childhood at Briarly was filled with joy.

Lady Betsey guarded the sealed envelope, that fell from Giovanni's blanket, on that first day at Briarly, five years earlier.
Having locked it safely away in her secret drawer, she attached the tiny key,  to her silver bracelet.

Now that Giovanni was growing up, it was time to find out more.

 Perhaps, she thought, it would be preferable to allow the status quo to continue. Yet responsibility was hers, since she was the only member of the household, aware  of the letter. That afternoon, Betsey retreated to her bureau to open the missive.

Breaking the red seal on the envelope, she carefully removed the letter.
Inside lay two tiny photos, of Letexia and one of Betsey's son, Lord Airdale.
Lady Betsey gasped audibly.
Could this be proof of parentage ?

An italian address was scribbled on the letter. It was barely legible.
Milan, however, was clearly written  at the bottom.
Lady Betsey had difficulty deciphering the lettering, having no knowledge of the italian language.

Just then she remembered that her neighbour, Dowager Spencer, had spent a good deal of time in Italy, as a young woman. Dowager Spencer had clearly indicated to Lady Betsey, on many previous occasions, that she had no great difficulty with bastards.  Nevertheless,she was still not willing to sign over Mansfort Manor to a bastard.

Lady Betsey considered it worth the gamble. After all there were not many people in the neighbourhood who had a knowledge of italian. The Dowager was one of an elite few.

Lady Betsey felt a frisson of excitement at the possibility of discovering  Giovanni's origins.


 




Image from Google Images
Thanks in advance if you found time to read this chapter
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.