Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted July 5, 2018 Chapters:  ...185 186 -187- 188... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An acrostic not-a-sonnet (in heptameter)

A chapter in the book A Potpourri of Poetic Curiosities

Forgettable

by CD Richards


In swirling eddies formed inside a deeply troubled mind,

migrating down synaptic pathways, bound for who-knows-where,

meander thoughts of violence, the urge to be unkind,

each one attesting to the owner's total lack of care.

Maleficence is all he knows, the need to induce pain;

of goodness and compassion he is totally devoid.

Remember me, his actions cry, his narcissism plain,

invoking thoughts of charity just make this man annoyed.

And then, one day, her patience gone, his victim cries, Enough!

Let's get this business done with, for it's time to call it quits.

No mercy shown, she demonstrates he's really not so tough,

exacting vengeance as she rips his stinking hide to bits.

Some future generation will relate how he was caught;

since no one can recall his name, he lived his life for naught.

 



Recognized


Today's word: immemorialness (n.) the quality of something that makes it unmemorable or beyond memory.

If there is a more vile, pointless creature on the face of the planet than the trophy hunter, I don't know what it is.

I woke to the news today that the bodies of several rhino poachers had been found. They had been eaten by lions. Good news days don't come round all that often, but today is one. I guess this was on my mind as I wrote this. It made me think of all the stories of the trophy-hunters that cross our path with sickening regularity these days. Most of them want to be famous. So, apart from them meeting a more gruesome end than their innocent victims, what could be better than they die in total obscurity, and the name associated with their evil deeds is completely forgotten?

I think the poem might be equally applicable if the victim happens to be a human.

My much-treasured Christmas present for 2017 is a book by Paul Anthony Jones: "The cabinet of linguistic curiosities". Each page contains a descriptive story about some obscure or archaic word. It occurred to me it would be a fun exercise to try and write, each day, a poem featuring the "word of the day" from the book.

Thanks for reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. CD Richards All rights reserved.
CD Richards has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.