General Fiction posted May 19, 2018 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 6... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
On Teklan, a planet far, far way, fossil fuel arises

A chapter in the book The High Tundra Drifter

Fossil Fuel Battles Clean Energy

by F Scott Hafner

The planet Teklan is in the Kleckton quadrant of the Andromeda galaxy. Teklan is remarkably similar to earth. Nearly identical suns with both planets 93--million miles away from their respective suns. Both have similar surface areas of water and land. Tekla's oceans have just about 80% of the Earth's salinity. As such, the Teklan's oceans are more efficient absorbers of carbon dioxide (CO2) making them more acidic. You won't find any coral reefs on Teklan -- the acid levels destroyed them a long time ago.

Teklan became industrialized hundreds of years prior Earth, their ocean's abilities to absorb carbon dioxide delayed the impacts of CO2 on climate by about that same 200 years. Teklan's oceans are reaching their CO2 saturation point. Breaking waves show signs of fizzing as do carbonated drinks on Earth when shaken.

The people of Teklan showed great responsibility in developing alternative renewable energy sources. These sources included wind, solar, tidal, ocean currents, nuclear fusion, matter/antimatter reactors to names the major ones. Others are more advanced than can be explained here but one relates to how quantum foam and worm holes interact. This can't be adequately explained until the constraints of the uncertainty principle are overcome on Earth.

A hint at how to get around the uncertainty principle is the universe expands along two degrees of freedom. This allows two simultaneous observations of the same object. Too much incomprehensible stuff here. So, I'll move on.

The Darangazi Cartel controls the prices of oil, gas, and coal. There was a time where prices were less controlled but not by much. Ransk and the Horbadies, two of the top three world super powers, formed a coalition that took over the Middle Arkines. The Middle Arkines, had been an area once controlled by tribes with no specific boarders. A great deal of the most accessible oil resides in the Middle Arkines. It was too much trouble controlling the Middle Arkines from afar so the strongest countries of this world, stablished individual countries by somewhat arbitrarily setting boarders between each state.


While the world outwardly proclaiming peace for the region, the Middle Arkines were much easier to control and exploit if constant low-level conflict continued to exist. As peace seemed imminent, outside powers would intervene to stir things up. A very effective strategy was to ensure the region is overflowing with light and heavy weapons. And warlords were rewarded handsomely for stirring things up.

Oil, gas, and coal, require money to extract and transport over long distances. The economics of the renewable energy supplies made fossil fuels less than attractive -- they cost more than the renewable sources that did not pollute.

The Darangazi Cartel moved to make their vast holdings in fossil fuels profitable again. To do this they began to undermine renewable resources primarily through political means. Money drives politics as there are no campaign finance restrictions. There is little profit in renewable energy so fossil fuel is always attractive to those with the most money. Like here on Earth, the wealthy have an unquenchable thirst for more.

Anyone who stood up the Darangazi were dealt with harshly. Fossil fuels were rearing their ugly heads with no apparent means to stop them. But the Cartel was not anticipating the High Tundra Drifter and his able partner Starfire, the most amazing unicorn.

This begins the saga of the battles that ensued to keep Teklan habitable for the higher life forms. The Drifter enters Teklan through his dreams. Starfire roams as she pleases.





Energy is in a balance between making the rich wealthier and maintaining a balance that will sustain human life on Earth. This is the beginning of a story about a global warming research scientist known as The Hugh Tundra Drifter. It is his real nickname and the Unicorn Starfire represents all who are motivated by the research to help keep our planet habitable for other than ants and cockroaches. It is intended to be a children's series that will include various researchers under different monikers.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. F Scott Hafner All rights reserved.
F Scott Hafner has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.