Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 28, 2018 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Joe solve his case. Janet's life takes an unexpected turn.

A chapter in the book Town Slayer

Killers Unite

by Mistydawn

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Summary
Janet finds her husband, Bill bleeding on their front room floor. With the evidence piling against her; she was holding a bloody bat and was covered in blood when the EMT's arrive, the cops accused her of murder. Frightened she runs. She gets a ride from a truck driver named Sam, claiming her name is Jackie.

Seeing the blood on her dress, Sam holds her at gunpoint, demanding an explanation. Believing her story, Sam takes her to a truck stop so she can get cleaned up. He sees a news bulletin on the TV about her being a murder suspect. Not wanting to help a fugitive escape, Sam leaves.

Jackie formerly known as Janet finds out she's been abandoned. She then sees the bulletin on the TV. She runs to the bathroom grabbing hair dye and scissors on the way through. The now red-headed Jackie asks another trucker for a ride. She soon learns he has shady intentions. His gun goes off accidentally. Terrified, Jackie runs for her life.

Henry, an old farmer picks Jackie up and takes her to his house. Hearing about the shooting on the news, Henry and his wife decide to call the cops. Jackie overhears them talking and runs out the back door. She hotwires an abandoned pickup and flees. She loses control, the vehicle veers off the road. Ben finds her and offers to help. He takes her back to his place where they have a romantic encounter. She tells Ben the truth he gets upset forces her in the truck. She thinks he's taking her to the police station, but they're headed to see a lawyer instead. She finds out all charges have been dropped, but her in-laws have temporary guardianship of Timmy.

The assassin tied up, tortured and killed Beth's abusive husband, Steve. Willy, the motel manager tried to force himself on her. She ties him to the bed, tortures and mutilates him. She kills another in an alley. The cops see her, she flees to an old underground hideout. She manages to get away. She ends up in a high-speed chase with the cops. She thinks she's getting away and then realizes the bridge is completely washed out. She turns around at the last minute. 

****

Sirens blare all around her as the killer slams her car into seventh gear. "I need to get out of here and I need to do it fast." The killer spots an intersection a few feet ahead. She mentally visualizes where each road leads. That one should take me out of town. Her car sputters as she makes a sharp right. What's going on? She hears a musical jangle and then notices her gas gage is well below E. "Not now." She looks back to see red and blue lights in the far distance. "This can't be happening, it just can't." Her car sputters a few more feet and dies. She realizes the cops are quickly closing in when she looks back. I have to make a run for it but to where? She glances around the peaceful community, as sirens continue to get closer. She notices security banners on several of the lawns; she then notices a neighborhood watch sign posted on the corner. Why did you have to die here? Well, I can't just sit here and do nothing. She puts on her ball cap and shades as she hops out of her car. Noticing a young woman walking to her vehicle, she runs towards her. "Can you give me a lift?" She notices blood spatter on the lady's clothes as she gets closer. She then recognizes her face. "What the hell did you do, Emma?"

"Get in, I'll explain on the way." She motions her to the car.

***

The detectives are sitting around their desks in complete dismay. They thought they'd finally captured their killer until Kirk found a security cam that proved them wrong.

"That was a big waste of time," Jerry says as he watches their suspect leave.

"We've wasted two-hour we could've spent finding the real perp." Joe runs his fingers through his hair.


"Maybe she'll remember something useful," Rachel pipes in.

"I doubt it since she was nowhere near the area when Bobby was stabbed."


"I did notice her pause when she looked at our picture like she reconizes her face."

"She's probably seen her around town."

"That's possible, I guess."


Jeff hangs up the phone. "Sergeant, patrol just radioed in, said they were in pursuit of someone they believe is our killer but lost her around Miller's pond."

"Get all the officers you can on this, Rachel, get eyes in the sky. We're going to end this once and for all."


"Yes, Sergeant." She steps away; Jerry grabs her arm to stop her.

"It's too late boss, they found her car abandoned six miles down the road. Apparently, she ran out of gas."


"I want you to have uniforms comb the area; try to find a witness. Check security footage and find out who that car is registered too."

"It belongs to Willy. I called the motel, but didn't get an answer so I left a message." Jeff says.


"I'm sure we'll hear back soon. In the meantime, I want you out there, see what you can find and have forensics process Willy's vehicle."

"I'm on my way, Boss. Oh, and Sergeant, Janet is in room two." He hands him her report. "Our evidence supports her story."

***


Emma throws her jeep into four-wheel drive as she forces it up a steep narrow road.

The killer realizes there are huge drop-offs on either side with a large mountain directly ahead. I hope she knows what she's doing. The killer grabs the oh shit handle just in case. Emma swerves, the killer smacks her head against the glass. "What the hell, Emma?"

Emma laughs. "Don't worry I know what I'm doing." A stone wall opens exposing the inside of the mountain. She pulls into the enclosure; a barrier falls back in place. "They'll never find us now."

"This better not be a trap."


"It's not, it's not." She pushes a button on her dash, a light flips on. The killer sees several enlarged pictures of bloody men leaning against a wall.

"What the hell?" She gasps.


"They are, were sexual predators. I made sure they wouldn't hurt anyone ever again  like you've been doing these past few days." She smiles.

"How do you know about that?" She turns towards Emma. 

"We've been watching you since you rolled into town. Love what you did to Willie." Emma hands her a photo. "I thought you might enjoy a memento."


"We, who, Emma?"

"Mom, Aunt Jeanie and I; Aunt Jeanie thinks you'll be a good asset to our team, with a little training."


"I'm the ex-cop. I should be telling you what to do not the other way around." 

"If you're such an expert, why did I have to bail your ass out, huh?" Emma climbs out of her car.

Angry, the killer throws her door open. "I would've been fine without you," she yells, stomping towards her.


"Yeah, whatever." Emma looks down at her cell. "It's only a matter of time before they catch you now." She shows the killer her phone.

She sees her picture on the screen.


"That's from this morning's paper. I guarantee you public transportation is aware and there are roadblocks all over this city."

"I'll have to lay low for a while, no big deal." She shrugs.

"We'll help you get out of this mess if you agree to partner up."


"I'll figure it out on my own."

"Suit yourself." She pushes a button on the wall. They hear sirens screaming in the near distance as the barrier slides towards the ceiling. "Have a nice life." She pushes the second button, a side door opens. Emma turns back around. "I'm sure a pretty little thing like you will be very popular in prison." She chuckles. "Have fun playing for the other team." Emma steps through the door.


The killer spots cops speeding up the mountainside. "Wait, don't go, I...I need your help." Emma keeps walking. "We could team up, really clean up this town."

My plan worked perfectly. Emma smiles as she continues through the cave.

***


The three detectives diligently sort through their evidence hoping to find a lead. Their last bit of evidence: fingerprints, boots, and picture were all dead ends.

"She'd have to be a hermit for her photo not to turn up anywhere," Rachel says as she scans a piece of paper.

"She could've been wiped out of every databank," Jerry adds.


"Only the Feds can do that, but they wouldn't help a killer, would they?"

"A dirty agent might," Rachel adds as she continues to sift through the papers.

"Maybe my friend in the bureau can answer a few questions." Joe starts to reach for his phone when he notices Sharon in the hall.

"You're just the ones I wanted to see."


"Please tell us you have something, Sharon," Jerry begs.

"My new tech mistakenly ran Penny's prints through the system. They didn't come back as hers but as Shelly Braxton's."

"How did that happen?"

"It turns out the asylum sent us Shelly's stuff by mistake."


"Those incompetent morons are going to hear about this." Joe scoops up his phone.

Sharon puts her hand on his. "Joe, Joe Its alright, I've already taken care of it. Penny's stuff was hand-delivered a few minutes ago."

"And?"


"She's definitely our killer."

"Her driver's license photo doesn't look like the lady on Janet's cam."

"People can change a lot in ten years."

"That'd explain why she didn't show up in our database. Rachel, notify all public transportation, Jerry, get roadblocks set up. I'll talk to our captain and see if we can increase patrol."

He starts to get up when their captain step out of his office.

"Guys, we have a murder at Sunset Motel."

"Who is it, Captain?"

"It's Willie."


____

1 Year later

It's a bright summer's day. Birds are chirping in the distance, as the smell of sweet lilac drifts through the air.

"This is so wonderful, Ben; you, me, Timmy and Emily," Janet says as she glances at their beautiful daughter in her arms.


"I told you we'd get through it together." He starts to reach for her hand when he feels ice water run down his back. He turns to see Timmy laughing, an empty bucket in hand. "You're going to get it now, squirt." Ben springs out of his seat.

"Come and get me, old man," Timmy shouts.

"I'll show you old, you little turd."


"Run, Timmy, run." Janet laughs.

Ben darts for him and misses.

"You can't get me, you can't get me." Timmy taunts.

"That's what you think." Ben plows towards him and tackles him to the ground. "No kid throws ice water on me and gets away with it." Ben tickles Timmy. He squeals.


"Ok, ok enough," Timmy laughs.

"You promise to be good?"

"I promise, I promise." He smiles.


"I don't believe you." Ben tickles him again.

I never thought my life would turn out this good. Janet sighs.


***

"That was the last one on the list," Emma says. She crumples up a piece of paper and throws it into the trash.

"So that's it, we're done?" Penny asks.

"We're far from finished." She tosses a large notebook in her lap. "That's just Arkansas offenders."


Penny flips through the pages. "So where do you want to begin?"
**** 

Characters
Steve, Beth's abusive husband deceased.
Beth, deceased, the assassin best friend.
Janet Smith, (Jackie) accused killer.
Bill Smith, Janet/ Jackie's husband deceased
Timmy Smith, Janet/Jackie, and Bill's child
Sam
Ganes,
 a truck driver for Prime gave Janet/Jackie a ride to the truck stop.
Victor Melendez, (deceased) the trucker that tried to rape Janet/Jackie. 
Bobby, (Deceased) abusive man arguing with his wife.
Jen, Bobby's wife she fled after being smacked down by her husband. 
Henry, Farmer 
Martha, Henry's wife
Julia, Jery's wife deceased
Jimmy, Janet's first love
Willy, the motel manager

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective 
Rachel, Detective
Kirk, Forensic Analyst
Matt, Forensic Analyst
Jeff, Forensic Analyst
Sharon, Medical Examiner, head of forensics. 





Emma, her mom, and Jeanie are the three serial killers who fled from the law in Bittersweet Revenge. They target sex offenders. Revenge for what happened to them as children.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.