Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 23, 2018 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The killer faces a deadly situation. Janet receives news.

A chapter in the book Town Slayer

Tempting Fate

by Mistydawn


Summary
Janet finds her husband, Bill bleeding on their front room floor. With the evidence piling against her; she was holding a bloody bat and was covered in blood when the EMT's arrive, the cops accused her of murder. Frightened she runs. She gets a ride from a truck driver named Sam, claiming her name is Jackie.

Seeing the blood on her dress, Sam holds her at gunpoint, demanding an explanation. Believing her story, Sam takes her to a truck stop so she can get cleaned up. He sees a news bulletin on the TV about her being a murder suspect. Not wanting to help a fugitive escape, Sam leaves.

Jackie formerly known as Janet finds out she's been abandoned. She then sees the bulletin on the TV. She runs to the bathroom grabbing hair dye and scissors on the way through. The now red-headed Jackie asks another trucker for a ride. She soon learns he has shady intentions. His gun goes off accidentally. Terrified, Jackie runs for her life.

Henry, an old farmer picks Jackie up and takes her to his house. Hearing about the shooting on the news, Henry and his wife decide to call the cops. Jackie overhears them talking and runs out the back door. She hotwires an abandoned pickup and flees. She loses control, the vehicle veers off the road. Ben finds her and offers to help. He takes her back to his place where they have a romantic encounter. She tells Ben the truth he gets upset forces her in the truck. She thinks he's taking her to the police station, but they're headed to see a lawyer instead. 

The assassin tied up, tortured and killed Beth's abusive husband, Steve. Willy, the motel manager tried to force himself on her. She ties him to the bed, tortures and mutilates him. She kills another in an alley. The cops see her, she flees to an old underground hideout. She manages to get away. She ends up in a high-speed chase with the cops. She thinks she's getting away and then realizes the bridge is completely washed out.

___

Rachel watches officers rush around the station as she steps through the door. She notices a man yelling he's innocent as he's being dragged down the hall. How many times have I heard that before? She then notices a weary lady sobbing on the bench; two small children are on either side of her. I'd hoped Lisa would do better this time.

"When is Mommy coming home, Nana?" the older one asks.

She dries her face and then turns towards the inquisitive child. "Soon honey, real soon. We're going to have lots of fun while she's away. We'll pitch a tent in our front room, roast marshmallows in the fireplace; we might even make  s'mores." She grabs their hands and leads them towards the door.

"Can we tell scary stories too?" the child asks.

"It can't be too scary."

"Why, Nanna?"

"You don't want to keep your old granny up all night, do you?"

Another family's life is shattered because of drugs, Rachel solemnly thinks as she continues towards their cubical. She realizes her partners at their desks when she gets closer. They're both working hard on something. I hope it's a new lead. She plops down in her chair. "So tell me about this new evidence, guys."

"Take a look for yourself." Joe hands her a stack of reports. "Jerry is trying to find stores that carry that type of boot, Sharon is running fingerprints, DNA through AFIS and I'm doing facial recognition."

"Janet killed the truck driver, right?"

"Kirk found, a video of him shoving her in the cab. That combined with Janet's saliva on his penis and him a registered as a sex offender Jerry and I believe he tried to rape her. She grabs his gun and shoots him in self-defense." 

Did she kill her husband in self-defense too?"

"Janet's nanny cam shows it wasn't her, see." He turns his computer towards her and then hits play.

"Where did this video come from?"

"Janet's friend told us about it. She said they were documenting Bill's abuse; so they can use it against him in court."

"I wonder why our techs didn't find it."

"It was well hidden inside a frame."

"Was it this one?" She picks up a floral decoration off his desk. 

Noticing her puzzled look, Joe laughs. "It was in the center of this flower." He points to a large daisy.

"What do you want me to do?" Their phone rings as if on cue.

"Can you get that?"

"Berryville PD, Detective Webb speaking ...Your parents are fine, Mr. Gains. We have a couple of questions about your coat...Yes, that's the one. Don't worry, sir, you're not in trouble; we're just trying to piece our evidence together... and that was the last time you saw her? Thank you for your time." She hangs up and then turns towards her partners. "Mr. Gains said he gave her his coat because she was cold and that he left her at the truck stop when he realized she was a fugitive." Rachel turns to see an officer and a bloody Latino woman step through the door.

"Sergeant, Detectives, we found our killer."

"I didn't do it, I didn't kill Bobby," she cries.

"Take her to room one, I'll be right there."

"Yes, Sergeant."

"She doesn't match the picture on Janet's cam, Joe."

"We might have two killers in our town."

"I'll call the lab, see if one of the cameras caught her in action," Jerry says.

"I'll find out what our suspect has to say."

"She might be more forthcoming with a sympathetic female."

Joe considers this for a second. "Tell you what; give me a few minutes to scare her. Then, Jerry, I want you to knock on the door; say you've found some evidence, Rachel will take over from there."

***

The killer glances back to see the cops are right behind her. "You can't catch me." She laughs as she slams her car into seventh gear. She notices a distance growing between them when she glances in her rearview mirror. That's much better. She then realizes the bridge is completely washed out; rapid water is flowing below her. "I'm going to die," she screams. She suddenly thinks back to her racing days. Their ELSD allows for quick turning, and its high-performance brake reduces stop time; approximately one hundred and forty-six feet for every seventy MPH.

She hits her brakes; its tires screech in protest as it glides closer to the edge. When she reaches a safer speed, she downshifts and then cuts her wheel to the right. Her car turns with ease as its backend fishtails around. And that's why they call me a champ. She notices the stunned look on the officer's face when she races by. "So long, suckers." She laughs, as she shifts to a higher gear.
  
***

"Jackie, I mean Janet; this is my friend, Phil. He's one of the best lawyers in the state."

"Thank you, Ben. Please, follow me." He leads them down the hall. "Please excuse my mess, I haven't had time to clean lately."
His office is a small room off of the main house. His bookcases are overflowing; files are scattered across the worn carpet.

"Won't you sit down?" He gestures to the floral chairs as he sits behind his desk. "What can I do for you?" he asks, grabbing a fresh legal pad from the drawer.

Janet scoots to the edge of her seat and then starts fidgeting with her hands. "I'm in a lot of trouble, Sir and don't know what to do about it." 

"Take a deep breath and tell me what happened," Phil coaxes.

Janet glnces over at Ben.

"Go on, honey, tell him what you told me."

Janet nervously explains her situation.

"You've been running from the law since this began?"

"I was hoping to go someplace safe then figure out how to prove I'm innocent, but all I've done is go from one bad situation to another. I didn't mean for all this to happen, I didn't."

"Tell him about your nanny cam, Janet." 

"It's in a picture frame at my house." She gets a solemn look on her face.

"What's wrong, honey?" Ben takes her hand in his.

"It's been there so long, its batteries are probably dead. Oh, why didn't I replace the damn batteries, why?" she cries.

"It's still worth a try."

"I agree, Ben. Don't give up hope yet, hon."

She glances at Ben and then her lawyer. "I suppose you're right." Janet dries her face.

"Why don't I call the police station; see what they have against you?" Phil reaches for his phone.

Ben grabs her hand. "We'll get through this, together, I promise."

"Yes, this is Phil Pearson, Janet Smith's attorney. What are the charges against her? She's been cleared of her husband's murder?" He glances over at Janet and winks. "Wait, did you say there was a second murder?"

"You didn't tell me about a second murder, Janet." Ben pulls his hand away.

"His gun went off by accident when he tried to rape me."

Ben glances over at Phil, he nods.

"So all she has to do is make a police statement and if your evidence supports her claim she's free to go? I'll let her know, thank you. Well, Janet, it looks like you've been cleared of your husband's murder and the charges on the other is pending. They want you to make a statement and if  their evidence supports your claim your free to go."

Janet springs out of her seat. "Oh my God, I can't believe it. It's over, it's finally over. Thank you, Ben; thank you so much." She kisses him. "I think this calls for a celebration, don't you?" She pulls Ben out of his chair before he has time to answer.

"Not so fast, they need a statement from you, so they can close their case."

"I can do that. You'll take me, right, Ben?"

"I don't see why I couldn't." 

"We can pick up Timmy while we're there. Oh, I can't wait for my two favorite fellows to meet."

"Who's Timmy?" Ben asks.

"He's my little boy."

"About that ..." Phil begins.

Janet  tearfully runs towards his desk ."Is he alright? Please tell me he's alright."

"Timmy is fine but  ..."

"Then why can't I pick him up?"

"The courts granted Bill's parents temporary guardianship."

"They can't do that to me, they just can't." Janet plops down in her chair. "I can't lose Timmy too. Oh, Ben, please don't let me lose my baby too."

"I'm sure we can petition the courts, re-establish your guardianship."

"How long will that take, Phil?"

"That depends on several factors. Let me make a few calls, find out what we're up against. In the meantime; you need to get those cases closed, so they can't hold that against you when we go to court."

"We'll do that right now. Come on, Janet, let's go."

____ 
 

Characters
Steve, Beth's abusive husband deceased.
Beth, deceased, the assassin best friend.
Janet Smith, (Jackie) accused killer.
Bill Smith, Janet/ Jackie's husband deceased
Timmy Smith, Janet/Jackie, and Bill's child
Sam
Ganes, a truck driver for Prime gave Janet/Jackie a ride to the truck stop.
Victor Melendez, (deceased) the trucker that tried to rape Janet/Jackie. 
Bobby, (Deceased) abusive man arguing with his wife.
Jen, Bobby's wife she fled after being smacked down by her husband. 
Henry, Farmer 
Martha, Henry's wife
Julia, Jery's wife deceased
Jimmy, Janet's first love
Willy, the motel manager

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective 
Rachel, Detective
Kirk, Forensic Analyst
Matt, Forensic Analyst
Jeff, Forensic Analyst
Sharon, Medical Examiner, head of forensics. 



 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.