General Poetry posted April 10, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A blank verse sonnet

Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos

by tfawcus

The screeching cockatoos in hundreds swoop,
avenging angels at the trump of doom,
with fanned white wings, backlit like skeins of lace;
a wheeling flock above the river's course.

Their sulphur crests on fire against the sun;
unsettled, as they throng round undrowned trees,
on whose gaunt limbs they shift, like candle flames
at mumbled evensong, in muted tones.

Dusk softly fades in blushes, rose and pink,
and squabbles soon subside to peacefulness.
All now is silent on the billabong,
but tiny splashes heard as bell frogs leap.

Small sparkling gems adorn the velvet dome,
attendant on the silent, rising moon.



Recognized


A billabong is an Australian term for an oxbow lake, an isolated pool left behind after a river changes course.

It is not uncommon to see flocks of several hundred sulphur-crested white cockatoos coming in to roost on the dead and dying River Red Gums that line much of the Murray River. Decreased flows because of overuse of water for irrigation projects upstream has meant that there is now insufficient natural flooding to sustain these iconic, ancient trees. (Hence my oxymoron of death by undrowning.)

The Southern Bell Frog is one of the many endangered species that used to be common along the lower reaches of the Murray-Darling river system, but their dwindling numbers are now contracting to a much smaller area to the south-east.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. tfawcus All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
tfawcus has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.