Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 3, 2018 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Tables take an unexpected turn.

A chapter in the book Town Slayer

Love at First Sight

by Mistydawn


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Summary
Janet finds her husband, Bill bleeding on their front room floor. With the evidence piling against her; she was holding a bloody bat and was covered in blood when the EMT's arrive, the cops accused her of murder. Frightened she runs. She gets a ride from a truck driver named Sam, claiming her name is Jackie.

Seeing the blood on her dress, Sam holds her at gunpoint, demanding an explanation. Believing her story, Sam takes her to a truck stop so she can get cleaned up. He sees a news bulletin on the TV about her being a murder suspect. Not wanting to help a fugitive escape, Sam leaves.

Jackie formerly known as Janet finds out she's been abandoned. She then sees the bulletin on the TV. She runs to the bathroom grabbing hair dye and scissors on the way through. The now red-headed Jackie asks another trucker for a ride. She soon learns he has shady intentions. His gun goes off accidentally. Terrified, Jackie runs for her life. 

Henry, an old farmer picks Jackie up and takes her to his house. Hearing about the shooting on the news, Henry and his wife decide to call the cops.  Jackie overhears them talking and runs out the back door. She hotwires an abandoned pickup and flees. She loses control, the Vehicle veers off the road.

The assassin tied up, tortured and killed Beth's abusive husband, Steve. Willy, the motel manager tried to force himself on her.  She ties him to the bed, tortures and mutilates him


.~~~~~~~~~

Air whips through his vehicle's open windows as music blares from the radio. "I'll get that witch's voice out of my head one way or another." Ben reaches over and turns it up more. Her voice continues to echo in his mind.

"You can't serve that. Look at these plates, they're a mess. You're a disgrace, Ben, a disgrace. You shouldn't even call yourself a caterer." She huffs, storming off.

"Everyone else enjoyed my food," He says as he glances at his empty containers.

His thoughts return to the here and now when he notices large chunks of tread on the road. That can't be good. He follows the lumps of debris to a beat up Chevy at the bottom of the hill. I have to save them. He jumps out of his vehicle and slides down the grassy terrain. I hope I'm not too late. Horrid memories from his military days flash through his mind. It won't be like that, it won't. He tries to dismiss the thoughts from his mind as he continues down the steep mountainside. I'm almost there. He weaves around a few trees.

He finds a battered young woman lying in the seat. Blood gushes from her head, arms, and legs; her eyes are staring blankly at the ceiling. "I'm too late." Ben drops his head and starts to walk away.
***
Joe glances around the darkened squad room. You'd think I could get a lot done in all this peace and quiet. He yawns as he looks at his paper again. His eyes slowly close; his head gravitates downward. Feeling himself fall, he straightens up in his seat. His eyes close quicker, his head tilts faster. Joe startles awake when his head thumps his desk. I better call it a night before I'm seriously injured. He rubs the bump on his head. He starts to head towards the back when he realizes their ME is stepping off the elevator. 

"You're the last of the bunch I see," Sharon says.

"Rachel and Jerry were worn out I told them to go on home. Do you have something for us?" He glances at her report.

"I have a few things, actually." She looks down at her paper. "I found three sets of DNA on the denim coat."

"Three?" He anxiously runs his fingers through his hair.

"Janet Smith, Sam Ganes and your victim, Victor Melendez."

"Sam Ganes?"

"That's what my results said. Police records show he was arrested in 94 for drug possession with intent to sell. He was released in 97 with no further arrests. His social shows that he's been employed with Prime Trucking for ten years."

"How did Janet end up with Sam's coat?" A horrid thought enters his mind. She wouldn't have, she couldn't have, would she? Joe recalls how Janet was covered in her husband's blood. He then remembers the trucker. They were in self-defense.

"I'll leave that for you to figure out. I ran the fingerprint from your murder weapon but didn't get any hits."

"That means Janet couldn't have killed Steve." He jumps up from his seat.

"She might've worn gloves."

"Maybe." He plops back down.

"The shoe print is definitely from a ladies boot and it's a size seven. We're running its pattern to try and narrow it down."

"I believe Janet wears a six." He searches through his papers.

"Well, there's another mystery for you to solve."

"That's all I need, more mysteries."

Sharon laughs. "If I find anything else I'll let you know."

"Hopefully, you'll have answers and not puzzles." She chuckles as she walks away.

I think I'll notify Beth's sister before I call it a day. He dials a number and then puts it on speaker. "Yes, this is Joe with the Berryville Police Department. I need to talk to one of your patients, please; it's an urgent family matter."

"What's the patient's name?"

"Penny McPhee."

"Let me transfer you to her nurse."

The phone rings again. "Sunny Brook, how may I help you?"

"My name is Joe Bower and I'd like to talk to one of your patients, please. It's an urgent family matter."

"What's the patient's name?"

"Penny McPhee."

"One second, please."

At least I know she's there. Joe gets a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach the longer he waits. It shouldn't take this long to find someone, should it?

"I'm sorry, Sir but she's not here."

"What do you mean she's not there?" Joe asks.

"Her doctor transferred her a few days ago."

"Can you tell me where she is?"

"Let me connect you to our business office, one second, please."

The phone rings again. "Sunny Brooks, how can I help you?"

Here we go again. "I'm Sergeant Bowers and I want to know about Penny McPhee."

"Her nurse didn't pick up? Let me try again."

"No, wait ..." It rings again. "Damn it." Joe slams his fist on his desk papers scatter to the floor. Just wonderful.

"Sunny Brooks ..."

"Patch me to your business office."

"Yes, Sir." She puts the phone on hold.

"Sunny Brooks, how may ..."

"I'm tired of this damn phone tag. I want to know where Penny McPhee was transferred to and don't you dare ..." His phone goes silent. "A bunch of simpletons must run this facility." He hears rustling on the line.

"We're still looking for her transfer order, sir."

"Call me when you find it."

"What is your name again?"

He enunciates every syllable. "My name is Joe Bower. That's Bower b o w e r and I work for the Berryville PD. My number is 870-423-2100. Do you need for me to repeat it again, maybe a little slower this time?"

"We'll call as soon as we find it, that's if I remember. Since you're a simpleton yourself, I'm sure you know how that goes. Have a nice day, Sergeant Bowser." His call disconnects.

"The name is Bower," he yells. "Damn woman." He stomps towards the back.

***
It's time to move on to my next victim. The killer glances at Willy's mutilated body one last time before she steps into the hot afternoon sun. The high humidity makes the day almost unbearable. It's too early for this crap. She wipes sweat from her brow as she continues on.

She hears a couple arguing when she steps onto the sidewalk. That was a quick find.

"Leave me alone, Bobby," Jen yells.

"You're my wife and you'll do what I say when I say. So get your ass home, now."

"I'm not going anywhere with you, ever again, " The lady screams.

"You'll do as you're told." He grabs a hold of her arm.

"I'll call the cops if you don't let me go." She pulls away from him.

"Like hell, you will." He knocks her to the ground.

Jen scrambles to her feet."It's over, Bobby, over." She darts down the alley.

"Get back here, you... you bitch."

The killer steps in front of him. "You shouldn't treat her like that."

"What's a little pipsqueak like you going to do about it, huh?" He pushes her away.

"I'll show you pipsqueak." She swings a right hook into his jaw. His head flies sideways. She swings her left fist around and punches him in the nose. His head flies back. She spins sideways and kicks his gut. He tumbles to the ground.

"Come on tough guy, get up; show me what you're made of."

He starts to get up. She kicks him again. He plummets into a mound of rocks. His head hits a sharp edge; blood pools all around him.

"I wasn't even warmed up yet." She turns and walks away.

***

Jackie lies sideways across the seat; blood continues to ooze from her head. The stench of blood and vomit circles around her.

"I wish I would've found you sooner." Ben starts to leave when he hears a noise in the truck. He runs back to find her trying to sit up. Ben yanks the driver door open. "Stay put until an ambulance gets here." He pulls a phone from his pocket.

Ambulance, no. She grabs his arm to stop him. "No, don't call the ambulance, he'll find me if you do."

"Who will find you, honey?"

 "My ...my husband. I've got to get out of here before he finds his truck." She swings her legs around.

"You need to be looked at, sugar."

"They'll find a corpse if I don't get out of here soon." Frightened, she looks towards the highway.

Ben sees old bruises scattered across her body when she looks around. Now I understand. "Why don't you come back to my place, I'll call my nurse friend, ask her to take a look."

"Well, ah ..."

"You'll be safe with me, I promise." He holds out his hand. "Please."

Anything is safer than being here.

"My name is Ben," he smiles as he helps her out of her truck.

"Nice to meet you, Ben." 

~~~~~
Characters
Steve Beth's abusive husband deceased.
Beth deceased, the assassin best friend.
Janet Smith (Jackie) accused killer.
Bill Smith Janet/ Jackies husband deceased
Timmy Smith Janet/Jackie and Bill's child
Sam
Ganes truck driver for Prime gave Janet/Jackie a ride to the truck stop.
Victor Melendez (deceased) the trucker that tried to rape Janet/Jackie. 
Bobby, (Deceased) abusive man arguing with his wife.
Jen, Bobby's wife she fled after being smacked down by her husband. 
Henry, Farmer 
Martha, Henry's wife
Julia, Jery's wife deceased
Jimmy, Janet's first love
Willy, the motel manager

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective 
Rachel, Detective
Kirk, Forensic Analyst
Matt, Forensic Analyst
Jeff, Forensic Analyst
Sharon, Medical Examiner, head of forensics. 

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.