Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 26, 2018 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jackie escapes again. The Killer employs southern justice.

A chapter in the book Town Slayer

The Search Continues

by Mistydawn


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.
The author has placed a warning on this post for sexual content.

Summary
Janet finds her husband, Bill bleeding on their front room floor. With the evidence piling against her; she was holding a bloody bat and was covered in blood when the EMT's arrive, the cops accused her of murder. Frightened she runs.  She gets a ride from a truck driver named Sam, claiming her name is Jackie.

Seeing the blood on her dress, Sam holds her at gunpoint, demanding an explanation. Believing her story, Sam takes her to a truck stop so she can get cleaned up. He sees a news bulletin on the TV about her being a murder suspect. Not wanting to help a fugitive escape, Sam leaves.


Jackie formerly known as Janet finds out she's been abandoned. She then sees the bulletin on the TV. She runs to the bathroom grabbing hair dye and scissors on the way through. The now red-headed Jackie asks another trucker for a ride. She soon learns he has shady intentions. His gun goes off accidentally. Terrified, Jackie runs for her life. 

Henry, an old farmer picks Jackie up and takes her to his house. Hearing about the shooting on the news, Henry and his wife decide to call the cops.  Jackie overhears them talking and runs out the back door.

The assassin tied up, tortured and killed Beth's abusive husband, Steve. Willy, the motel manager tried to force himself on her.  She knocks him out and then ties him to the bed.

The police are informed there are two murders. Joe and Rachel investigate the house. They find Steve mutilated and dismembered. They also discover his wife, Beth buried out back.  

~~~~ Is a flashback.
 *** Different people, scene.


Jackie is busy pulling wires from the truck's ignition, hoping she can remember what she's been taught. "You've got to help me with this one, Jimmy. you've just gotta." Jimmy was killed on the heist that she chickened out of. Everyone said that she was lucky she didn't go, but she'd rather have died alongside him than live the way she did. A pregnant orphan child all alone in a small rural town; she knew her life wasn't going to be easy, but she never imagined it turning out this way; having to flee from the cops or spend her life in prison.

"Come on, come on, please start, please, please start," Jackie begs, trying to fire up the truck. Its ignition wires spark. "That's it, baby, start for me," she says. Her hands are shaking as she holds the wires together. Hearing the engine trying to crank over, she pushes on the gas. To her surprise, its engine roars to life. No more hitching rides for me, she thinks. Slamming it in gear, she speeds down the bumpy drive. Jackie notices cops heading her way, as she pulls onto the main road. Please don't let them see me, oh please don't let them see me, she begs.

***

Jerry sees a waitress standing at the front door when he pulls into the truck stop. Her hands are waving frantically as she's yelling at someone beside her. An officer quickly steps in between them and tries to calm her down. What's got her so worked up? He recalls his wife's tongue lashings as he continues towards her.

~~~~

"I asked you to fix that a month ago, Jerry, a month ago and it still isn't done," Julia yells.

"I'll get to it, honey, I promise," he says, trying to kiss her on the cheek.

She moves away. "Don't you dare try that with me, mister."

"But I love you."

"Says you." She crosses her arms in front of her. "So, when are you going to get to it, next Christmas?"

"You won't need a fan then." He chuckles.

"You're impossible, Jerry. Just impossible." Julia throws her hands in the air and storms away.

~~~

I miss her drama. Heck, I miss everything about her; her eyes, her smile, that cute little laugh. How it felt when we cuddled together. The way she used to poke my stomach, call me her little doughboy

"You look as pregnant as I do." She'd teased, rubbing his rounded belly. 

I miss you so much, honey. His wife and daughter were killed in a drive-by twelve years ago. Everyone said it'd get easier with time, but the pain, the emptiness never seems to go away. Wiping a tear from his cheek, he steps up to the witness. 

"Good luck." An officer pats Jerry on the back as he walks away.

"I'm Detective Bower and I've been assigned to this case. Can you please tell me what you saw?"

She glances at her watch. "I have to get my shit done and get out of here," she protests.

"I understand you're in a hurry, ma'am but ..."

"Good, then go talk to your buddies and leave me alone." She turns to leave.

Jerry grabs her arm to stop her. "I'd much rather hear it from you."

She exhales loudly as she spins around. "I have to get my kids off to school and I'm already late."

"I'll make it quick." Jerry takes a notebook out of his pocket.

"I'm inside watching the news when I hear a gunshot."

Jerry looks up from his paper. "A single shot?"

She nods. "Yes, I see a woman covered in blood running towards the highway when I step outside." 

"What happened next?"

"I run back in and call you guys." She glances at her watch again.

"Can you describe her?"

"She's about five foot three. She has a light complexion and bright red hair."

"What was she wearing?"

"A denim jacket and light green pants. I explained all of this before."

"I appreciate you going over it again."

"Yeah. well, I really need to go."

"If you think of anything else I want you to call this number." Jerry hands her a card. She grabs it from his hands and storms back inside.

"Detective, we found this in their shower stall," Matt holds up two clear plastic bags. One contains a used box of red hair dye and the other freshly cut hair. 

"It looks like Janet is trying to throw us off. Let's send it to the lab just to be sure it's her."

"Yes, sir."

Jerry sees Jeff processing the truck when he walks across the parking lot. "What can you tell me?" he asks, stepping up to the cab.

The stench is so overpowering, it knocks him back. I'll never get used to that smell. He takes a jar of Vicks out of his pocket and puts a dab under his nose. Much better, he thinks as he turns back towards the cab.

"I did the same thing, Sir."

"You're learning," Jerry says, patting him on the back."So what can you tell me?"

"I'd say he tried to force himself on her; she grabs a gun and shoots him in his head. According to the projection, she was sitting on his floorboard when the shooting occurred."

"So she kills him in self-defense."

"I believe so, Sir." He points to the corpse's junk hanging out of his pants.

Jerry nods as he answers his phone. "Hi, Captain. The killer is at the Barry residence." Jerry feels his phone vibrate in his hand. "I just received the address. We'll head over there now." He sees an officer holding a denim coat walking towards him.

"I found this at the edge of the highway. It's covered in blood and vomit."

"Good find, son." Jerry coughs.

"Thank you, sir."

**** 

The killer is standing over her victim's bloody body, with a large knife in her hand. Willy is spread eagle across her bed; his hands and feet secured to its frame.

"You don't need to do this over a few measly bucks, you really don't," he nervously stutters.

"It's not over money, bud, it's about how you treat women."

"How I treat women?"

"You act like we're only here to please you, to fulfill your sexual desires." 

"No, no, you have it all wrong. That's not me at all. I adore women."

"I bet you do, especially when they're tied to your bed. Do you get your jollies from little girls too?"

"I'd never touch a child."

"Is it little boys or maybe you like watching them do each other?"

"That's disgusting."

"Is it, now; then how do you explain these?" She shows him snapshots of naked children, performing crude acts on each other.

"My friend brought them over, so I could take pictures for his website. I didn't want to do it, honest I didn't, but he didn't give me a choice."

"These don't turn you on?"

"No, I ...I'm not like that, I'm not."

"Your pecker is saying something different."

He glances at his hardened appendage. "I ...I'm thinking about you."

"Sure you are." She glances at his photos again. These faces look vaguely familiar. She quickly runs through the stack. It can't be. She looks through them again. They're the kids that disappeared. She spent the majority of her police career searching for these children. I would've found them too if it wasn't for my ex. He broke into her apartment late at night and tried to force himself on her; she kills him in self-defense. The judge declared her mentally incompetent and sends her to an asylum. Years later, she finally manages to escape.

Throwing his pictures on the table, she turns towards her victim. "Where are they, Willy, where are the kids?" she screams, holding her knife to his throat.

"I don't know what happened to them, honest I don't. My friend brought them over, I took pictures and they left," he cries.

She tries to recall her investigation, but nothing comes to mind. "What's your friend's name and where does he live?"

"His name is Jacob Myers."

"Where does he live?"

"He's ...he's dead," Willie bawls.

"Where are the kids?" He doesn't answer. "I said where are the kids?" Lifting up his penis, she holds her knife against it.

"No, please, not that," he cries.

She runs the sharp blade across the top, a small portion plops on her bed. He screams in pain. "Start talking or I'll finish the job, bit by bit," she warns, pressing her knife against it again.


Characters
Steve Beth's abusive husband deceased.
Beth deceased, the assassin best friend.
Janet Smith (Jackie) accused killer.
Bill Smith Janet/ Jackies husband deceased
Timmy Smith Janet/Jackie and Bill's child
Henry, Farmer 
Martha, Henry's wife
Julia, Jery's wife deceased
Jimmy,
Janet's first love
Willy, the motel manager


Berryvillle PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective 
Rachel, Detective
Kirk, Forensic Analyst
Matt, Forensic Analyst
Jeff, Forensic Analyst
Sharon, Medical Examiner


 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.