Fantasy Fiction posted March 23, 2018 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Joshua disappears, a search ensues with no luck

A chapter in the book GULBRANDR- God's Sword

Joshua's Detour

by Roxanna Andrews


Nyla stood in the warm sun, relishing the feel of it on her skin. It was far into spring but the days were still often bone chilling. The warm sunlight was a delicious treat.

Her brothers were coming. Over the past seventeen years they had come less and less frequently. They were now elders in the village with much responsibility. They had wives and sons to care for. They often came with her nephews in tow, monstrous white haired youths with too much energy.

Nyla's watched as her brothers dismounted and walked toward her, that same look upon their faces as when they brought news of Dak. She steadied herself for what was to come.

Drake had brought his youngest son who was also Dak in honor of Nyla's husband. He was just thirteen but stood already six foot. He visited his Aunt often and was very fond of her. He put an arm across her shoulders.

"Aunt we bring grievous news. Joshua has not returned to the clan. He cannot be found." He tightened his grip on her shoulders, and his deep blue eyes looked into hers with grave concern.

"We have not given up hope," said Drake. "He is just two days passed his time. He should have returned from the Quest two mornings ago. When he did not come, we searched. There is no sign that he was attacked or hurt. His horse was found in the woods. It had no mark on it."

Joshua had been young for the Quest, but the council and his uncles felt he was more than ready. He was far ahead of other boys his age and most of the grown men. He could best all but Erik with a sword, and Erik knew that it was a matter of time before Joshua won their matches.

Nyla had not wanted him to go so young, just sixteen years, but her brothers assured her he was ready and would do well. Now he was lost. Could he have fallen from a cliff or down one of the deep crevasses in mountains?

"I will get my horse and search." She made to run for her horse, but her nephew stopped her.

"Nyla, men are still searching. You cannot go. Dak will stay with you. We have arranged for him to come to the clearing some time from now and we will meet him with news. You must stay here." Erick took her hand. "I promise we will find him."

The brothers mounted again and kicked their horses into a run. Dak squeezed Nyla's arm, "They will find him Aunt. Let your mind be at ease."

Nyla smiled up at her nephew. He had become like a son to her. He visited often and they roamed the country side together on horseback, or had mock battles with sword and bow. He was close to Joshua, and always brought news of him, telling of his exploits in great detail.

Nyla felt her son was alive. She did not have the same bereft feeling she did when Dak died. She still felt his presence. This gave her some peace, but she longed to hear news, to know he'd been found.

*****

Joshua looked forward to his quest. He knew what an honor the council was bestowing to let him go a full year earlier than most. They were saying he was among the best of the clan. He would not disappoint. He was given a few provisions and a map of the places he must go and told the tasks he must complete. He left before daybreak, unable to sleep the night before, so eager was he to begin.

It took some time to reach his first destination and he had much time to think. He thought often of his mother. He resented the fact that the council would not allow him to see her. She was a Dark One but she had birthed a warrior, one with honor. Should that not give her some status with the Clan?

His first destination would take him nearer her home than he had ever been. The place he had been born, he longed to see it. He decided to defy the council and take a detour. He would see his mother for the first time.

When Nyla had handed Joshua over to Hamish, he had felt smug with victory. He had the child, but it was short lived as her brothers petitioned the council to raise the boy. Hamish fought against it, arguing he would be the better mentor, but the brothers were well thought of and their father served on the council. Besides, they felt it best that family raise him. The child was handed over to his uncles with the provision that he not see his mother.

Joshua grew up happy in his uncle Drake's home. The uncles had been wed for some time now and had families of their own. He was raised with many cousins in a lively household.

When he reached seven years his uncle Drake told him he was not his son, but his nephew. Drake did his best to explain why he lived with him and not his mother. He told him of his father and what a great warrior he had been. He told him of his mother and to never believe in the curse. And that she loved him with all her heart. It was some years before Joshua understood all this.

As he grew, Joshua distinguished himself and become know as a loyal clansman and gifted with sword and bow. He being the son of a woman thought cured seemed to have no negative effect on his popularity. Many of the mothers were already looking his way in hopes he would become a son-in-law.

Hamish tried to have an influence in his life, but the boy felt a revoltion toward the man and wanted nothing to do with him. Hamish had plans for the boy and was greatly frustrated that he could not get close to him. He spent much time in thought about how he might make the boy endebted to him.

Joshua thought often of his mother and received reports of her from his cousin Dak who spent much time with her. He envied Dak and couldn't wait for him to return from his visits so he could hear of his mother. She always sent a word for him and often a gift. At twelve she sent his father's sword and bow, and at fifteen she sent him the sire of his father's black stallion. He was a giant of a horse and as black a midnight. Joshua called him Fader Midnett, which meant sired by Midnight.
****

Now he and Fader picked their way carefully through the woods, not using the trail so as not to be seen by any passers by. Joshua didn't want the council finding out about his detour.

He came upon his mother's cottage suddenly, it seemed to be in the middle of nowhere, but he could hear the sounds of the township near by. He stayed hidden in the trees and watched. After some time his mother emerged, carrying a basket and went to her garden. He felt shock to see how young she looked, her raven black hair almost to her waist pulled back in a buckskin tie. She looked so different from anyone he knew. She glanced in his direction once and he froze afraid he had been seen.

He debated with himself whether to speak to her. Should he do that to her just to leave and not return for a full year, maybe longer? She had endured much, would he cause her more pain in his leaving? He watched her disappear back into the cottage. He knew he should leave, but he waited a while longer, unable to pull himself away.

A couple and three youths emerged from the trail not four stones from him. Glad his mount was well trained not to startle easily, he backed the horse up deeper into the woods. The youths talked excitedly, and he watched as they ran to knock on the cottage door. Nyla opened the door with a welcoming smile.

"Oh, you are here at last, come in. Come in Father Bart, Fiona, I am happy to see you. Come in, supper is ready."

Joshua was heartily glad to see she had people to fellowship with, but also jealous that they would spend time with his mother when he could not. He lightly kick Fader's haunches and left to fulfill his quest.

*****************************************

The dragon now able to fly, searched the cliff side for a better home. He had grown much over the weeks and the hollow was no longer acquitted for his needs. He remembered the cave he was born in and knowing his mother and sibling were no longer there, went in search of it. He had seen the hulking shadow of his mother as she flew over him, smaller shadows of his siblings followed. She flew low and he remained hidden, knowing she would kill him if seen. He felt an evil malevolence leave the cliff side and woods. The behemoth flew southward with her evil brood. No good would come from them on this earth.

The blue dragon who would come to be known as Dyster, meaning blue, flew to the mouth of the cave in which he had been born. He sniffed the air and knew he was not alone. In the darkness he could see two yellow eyes. They moved rapidly towards him and a huge mountain cat leapt to attack. Dyster took to his wings and raising himself, brought his back feet forward, sending the cat sprawling backward, head over heels. With a shake of his head the cat roused himself, but thought better of attacking again. He sat on his haunches and stared at the blue creature before him. Dyster sat as well and eyed the large cat. He had no wish to kill it and hoped it would not come for him again. They came to an uneasy truce, each staying at opposite ends of the cave. They would eventually become inseparable.


 




Joshua take a detour to his mother's home
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.