Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 18, 2018 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The killer has to face memories from her past.

A chapter in the book Town Slayer

Confronting the Past

by Mistydawn


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.
The author has placed a warning on this post for sexual content.

Summary
After being beaten by her husband, Janet finds him bleeding on their front room floor. With the evidence piling against her; she was holding a bloody bat and was covered in blood when the EMT's walked in, the cops accused her of murder. Frightened she runs. 
She gets a ride out of town from a truck driver named Sam, claiming her name is Jackie
Seeing the blood on her dress, he holds her at gunpoint, demanding an explanation. 

Believing her story, Sam takes Jackie to a truck stop so she can get cleaned up. Seeing a news bulletin on the TV about her being a murder suspect Sam leaves.
Jackie finds out she's been abandoned and then sees the bulletin on the TV. She runs to the bathroom grabbing hair dye and scissors on the way. The red-headed Janet/ Jackie asks another trucker for a ride only to find out he's a rapist and she's trapped in his cab. She manages to escape

The assassin tied up,  tortured and killed Beth's abusive husband, Steve.
The police are informed that there have been two murders.


Oh my God, I just killed a man. Horrifying images flash through her mind as she tries to escape. She first pictures brain matter scattered across the cab. The stench of fresh blood comes back with such force that it nearly suffocates her. Terrified, she darts into oncoming traffic. "Help me, please somebody help me."

The driver skids to a stop at the edge of the road. "What the hell are you thinking, lady? Do you want to get yourself killed?" 

 Frightened, Jackie runs towards him. "Please mister, please save me," she begs as she breathlessly reaches his cab.

He watches the distraught woman trembling in front of him. He then recalls how his granddaughter was beaten, raped, and left to die on the side of the road. I can't let her go through what Leann did, I just can't. "Climb in," he instructs, pointing behind him.

She jumps in and covers herself with loose hay. Jackie hears sirens wailing all around her as they pull onto the highway. Please God, please get me out of here safely, she begs.

The old farm truck stops at a rickety shack on the north side of town. Jackie hops out and nervously glances around.

"So now you're not on the verge of getting killed, explain to me what was going on," the driver says as he walks towards her.

"I was trying to hitch a ride to see my sick mom in Springfield. This trucker pulls a gun on me and forces me into his cab. Then he starts ordering me to do things to him, nasty, sexual things. He said he'd kill me if I didn't. I ran to the highway trying to get away. All I wanted to do was see my mamma, before ..." She pretends to cry.

His heart melts the way it always does when he sees a beautiful woman in distress. "Now, now, child, it'll be alright. Come on in, get some breakfast then we'll see about getting you to your mama safely, alright?"

"I'm not very hungry but I'd appreciate a ride."

"Let me tell my wife where we're going, get some things together and then we'll head out. My name is Henry by the way."

"I'm Jackie."

"Nice to meet you, Jackie," he says as he holds the screen door for her.

*******

Rachel is on her apartment steps sipping a steamy mug of coffee when Joe pulls up to beside her. "Here is your liquid speed," she says as she climbs into his cruiser.

"I'm going to need all of this I can get." Joe takes the mug from her hands and takes a sip. "Just the way I like it." He smiles.

"Did you say there are two murders?" she asks as she turns to face him.

"That's what the captain said. It kills me to think I wasted all that time on roadblocks when we should've been searching the town."

"You only did what you thought was right. Even the captain agreed with your call."

"I should've known Janet wouldn't take off like that, I just should have. Now two people are dead all because of me."

"Who's to say we'd found her if we did search the town. Besides, you don't even know she's responsible for these deaths."

"Stop doing that, Rachel."

"What?"

"Lying to me, trying to make me feel better."

"I'm not, Joe, I'm just stating facts."

"The fact is, I let a killer escape and now, two more are dead because of it." He slams his hands against the steering wheel.

There's just no reasoning with this man, Rachel thinks, as she gazes into the bright morning sun.

Rachel and Joe see their team gathered in the center of the room when they walk into the station.

The captain turns towards his weary detectives an apologetic look on his face. "I hate to wake you guys, but there have been two murders one is at the Barry residence and the other at Wild Bills."

"I knew It, I just knew it. I even tried to warn Beth just like I did Janet, but she didn't listen. No one ever does. Why won't these damn women just listen, why?" Joe slams his fist on his desk.

"Joe, Joe it's not Beth it's her husband, Steve."

"Is Beth alright?"

"No one's been able to find her."

"We've got to look for her," Joe says as he runs his fingers through his hair.

"A search team is already on it."

"I want to help them, Captain."

"Take Rachel with you. Jerry, I want you to head to the truck stop." 

"Yes, Captain."

*****

Henry quickly explains Jackie's situation to his wife.

"That horrid man tried to kill you?" Martha asks as she glances over at the frightened young woman.

"It was awful, just awful," she cries.

"Oh, you poor thing." Martha puts her arm around Jackie's shoulder and guides her to the kitchen table. "Here, sit down. I'll make you a nice hot breakfast."

"I'm not very hungry."

"How about a cup of coffee?"

"That sounds great, thanks."

Marhta turns towards her husband. "Henry, get the truck ready."

"Where are we going?"

"We're taking Jackie to see her mom."

I knew she'd want to help. Smiling, Henry races out the door.

"I sure appreciate this."

"Our granddaughter Leann was in a situation similar to yours a few months back. Only she wasn't fortunate enough to escape."

"Is she alright?"

"It was touch and go in the beginning, but she's a lot better now."

"That's good." She takes a sip of coffee.

"I don't know what the world is coming to these days, I really don't." Martha glances out the window. How did the world become so evil? She recalls how things used to be just a few short years ago. I wish we could go back to those time before all of the corruption took over.

Henry storms into the room. "I need to talk to you now, Martha."

She turns towards Henry, a puzzled look on her face. In their sixty some odd years of marriage, he's never used that tone with her before. "What is It Henry?" she asks as she walks towards him.

He grabs her arm and pulls her to the porch.

"What's wrong with you?" She jerks her arm away.

"A driver was shot at the truck stop about an hour ago and the description of the shooter matches Jackie perfectly."

"It can't be her, it just can't be. She's too sweet to be a killer."

"Sweet or not she's a petite red-head who ran into the highway."

"Maybe she killed him to get away."

"I think we should call the police and let them sort it out." 

***

The killer is woken by someone pounding on the door. She rolls over and puts her pillow over her head. The banging gets louder.

"I know you're in there, so open this damn door, now." The motel owner yells as he hits the door again.

"Alright, alright." she sleepily stumbles over to answer it. She sees the owner in her doorway with a scowl look on his face.

"I want my money and I want it now," he says as he shoves his way into her room.

"I'll have your money tonight, I promise."

"That's what you've been saying for the last three days."

"I thought I could get it sooner, but it hasn't worked out the way I'd planned."

"No money, no room."

"Please, just give me one more day," she begs.

Seeing how pretty she looks in her night-clothes, the manager comes up with another idea. "I can always take it out in trade." He shoves her on the bed.

"You'll have your money tonight, I promise." She quickly scoots away.

He grabs a hold of her ankles and pulls her towards him. "I don't want to wait until tonight." He unfastens his pants.

"I said I'll have it for you tonight." She kicks him as hard as she can. His body plops against the dresser. She runs for the door.

He grabs her arm and slings her across the room. Childhood memories resurface as she plummets towards the bed. 
~~~
She pictures herself trapped in her bedroom, her drunken Uncle staggering towards her.

"Come here angel, and give Uncle Bud what he needs."

"Please, don't make me do this," she begs as she moves away from him. 

"I said get over here, now."

She backs up as far as she can go.

He picks her up and slams her frail body on the bed.

Her head smacks the frame, rendering her unconscious. She wakes up to find herself naked on her bed. Her Uncle passed out on top of her."

~~~
"Give me what I need." Pushing her down on the bed, the motel owner crawls on top of her.

 No one will treat me like that ever again. She grabs the lamp from the bedside table and whacks him over the head. 
 

Characters
Steve Beth's abusive husband deceased.
Beth deceased, the assassin best friend.
Janet Smith (Jackie) accused killer.
Henry, Farmer her saves Jackie
Martha, Henry's wife

Berryvillle PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerrry, Detective 
Rachel, Detective



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.