Horror and Thriller Fiction posted March 15, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A being who can predict fates sees something terrifying

Damaged Dreams

by Luna Darkwaters


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
She dreamt in black and white and that was never a good thing.

Her dreams were always random, sometimes they played like a movie and in others they were just flashes of images. But the one thing that was constant was that she could only look forward to them when they were in color; when she saw happy animals and occasions and moments that were to be cherished forever.

No color meant that there were only be blood (or so she had always assumed), gore and violence. These were the ones that she heavily disliked to report to her superiors because these were the ones that caused the damage to whomever was the dream was targeting.
Being a Fate Dreamer for Fate Makers really sucked balls.

She desperately wanted to wake up whenever the colorless showed up behind her eyelids, but her very nature forbade her from doing so until the dream was completely finished in order to make it come true. She and the majority of her kind (the abhorrent few who enjoyed the black and white weren't worth thinking about) sorely wished that evil didn't exist at all.

But alas, one of the first lessons that her kind were taught as soon as they came into existence was that there was a need for balance, there couldn't be good without evil and there couldn't be evil without good; life wasn't fair to anyone and that the first colorless dreams experienced were always traumatizing and that one must get used to them.

Yeah, like that was so easy; bastards.

She was one of the more sensitive in personality of their kind, she never got used to them; not after five hundred years and she never will until she shriveled up and died, which would be a sweet relief in her eyes.

Another thing that was common in her dreams and all of her kind was that they weren't exactly direct on who was to be the receiver of good or ill; there was always a hefty amount of symbolism contained in her vision. She was thankful for the fact that it was not her job to decipher them or she would have gone mad long ago.

They were also random in how she was able to experience them, sometimes she felt the sensations, other times she saw them happen to someone else and there were the rare times where it was a combination of both; as was the case with this one.

From her dream eyes she saw herself walking in a meadow and eventually coming upon a sobbing woman with angel wings before feeling a sudden pain in her stomach, instinctively bending forward in an attempt to alleviate the pain but blood (or so she always assumed) poured from her mouth like a syrup waterfall and congealed into a tar like pool on the grass.

When the flow stopped and she stood upright again, the angel winged woman was lying on her side with her entire abdominal area ripped open and organs spilling out on the ground. She was dressed in very little clothing, more like lingerie; stockings with straps attached to her low cut panties and all she had on top were a pair of small tassels.

The scene immediately changed into a dungeon like setting and inside was a man in a fancy cloak and a woman strapped down on a table, but she didn't seemed to be in pain; if anything her face was contorted in ecstasy as he cut her leg deeply, the Dreamer wondered if she was one of those women who got off on being murdered.

But the scene changed again and this time it was an ordinary looking house and the only occupant was a female figure that was a pale gray and had the features made her resemble some sort of demon or some science fiction creature; with the little thin horns protruding from her forehead and slit eyes. She stared directly at the Dreamer and that frightened her immensely since no one was supposed to know that she existed let alone be able to see her.

The creature hissed and vanished in a puff of smoke and the Dreamer woke up brutally and breathing hard like an asthmatic. One of the Fate Makers that was standing near her pod had noticed her distress and had come to investigate.

"What did you see?" he asked calmly when she had collected herself. She had walked through her dream and he had nodded at the appropriate times as he memorised the details that he would later give to the Decipherers; but a frown did appear when she mentioned the creature and that made her almost fearful.

"Never you mind the last vision," he finally told her; "go and eat to regain your strength, perhaps a look into the mortal realm will calm your soul?"

"Thank you Master," the Dreamer said as she shakily removed herself from her sleeping pod and took a look around her fellow sleepers before she somehow managed to make her way to the dining room despite being in a daze. So far, she was the only one who had woken up, but that would soon change.

She ate mechanically as her thoughts turned into the brother Fate Maker's reaction to her dream. By their nature the Makers were stoic to everything they hear from the Dreamers, good and bad, faces set like stone statues; any kind of expression was never a good thing, what disturbed him was something that was to be afraid of.

The Makers were a far older race than the Dreamers, they would know far more about the world than the Dreamers as the latter never actually left the special realm that housed all three peoples; the Makers, the Dreamers and the Decipherers. The Makers used to leave for the humans' territory in order for them to make their destinies come true; which required touching each and every individual human and seeing the peoples' futures that way.

But the process was time consuming and some humans had to wait a long time for anything good or bad to happen for them and the Makers wanted to make the wheels of destiny turn quicker hence they spent millennia looking for a solution until they were able to cast a spell that created the first Dreamers; however that came with the price that were the indirect symbolism that required much deciphering.

Our Dreamer had every right to be thankful that she didn't have to decode her dreams for fear of madness, for the first generation of her kind had indeed gone mad from the intense thinking that was required. From their sacrifices came the last of the Makers' creations, the Decipherers who took to their work quite enthusiastically and would spend hours upon hours in their chambers researching and looking for answers.

It was a beautiful relationship the trio of timeless Fate races had; Dreamers dream, Decipherers decipher and the Makers make them come true. They weren't immortal, but had a lifespan that lasted centuries to millennia; they didn't need to reproduce for the Great Fates gave new ones as needed.

But doing the same thing for such an extremely long period of time could take its toll, especially if they affected them negatively. Dreamers grew tired from the dreaming, Decipherers were tired of deciphering and the Makers no longer wanted anything to do with making things come true. When they felt they were ready, they simply willed themselves into the abyss and perhaps they were allowed to be reborn as a different race in a continuous cycle that maintained the balance of their existence and humanity's.

Our Dreamer was contemplating whether or not she could continue on with her dreaming, especially in light of what seemed to be a significant threat; but if she chose to go then she would be one of the youngest to ever do this and wondered if she wanted to be remembered like that.

She sighed as she finished her food, her stomach felt heavy as if lead filled and sorely wished not for the first time that her kind weren't capable of eating. She played with her utensils in a saddened way; maybe a check into the human world, a look at all the baby animals would help soothe her.

She got up to put her things away when she heard a loud commotion coming from the Dreamers' sleeping area and she felt cold when she realized that there was simultaneous screaming going on and wondered if it was the same source as her own from before. She quickly shoved the things away and ran back to where the noise originated.

Everyone was sitting up now; the Makers were overwhelmed by everyone's babbling and it showed on their faces; which made her even more nervous than she already was because she could discern that everyone had indeed seen the same being as she had. She was even more disturbed at the fact that no one was sleeping and this was not good because at least three had to sleep at a time in order to receive all the potential information that was happening at once.

It appeared that her break was over for the moment; swallowing back the bile at the remembrance of that creature's disturbing stare that seemed to pierce through her and had almost felt the creatures' hatred toward her. But why would something unknown hate something that was unknown to them?

Unless...

Perhaps the Makers had not told their creations and partners everything about their little universe? But it didn't matter at the moment, the questions could wait; what was important was that there was no one watching the fates and she had to step up despite her feelings, it was for the good of all.

One of the Makers had noticed her and calmly waited for her to approach, seemingly not surprised to see her awake and she could only guess that the one that she had spoken to had informed the rest of her dream encounter.

"I would like to go back to sleep, as there is no one to monitor the situations;" she told him firmly. He nodded and motioned for her to go back into her pod and she did so obediently; she laid back and closed her eyes as the pod closed.

She hoped that it would all be in color.




A short little diddy inspired by a conversation with an aunt the other day.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Luna Darkwaters All rights reserved.
Luna Darkwaters has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.