General Fiction posted March 9, 2018 Chapters:  ...48 49 -50- 51... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Learning themselves and the equipment.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

Progress

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges.
The next morning, I check each puncture site. For those sites that were bruising, I advised the student to let the site rest for the day. Only half the class would be drawing blood because of the number of tubes taken. The other half would draw the following day. I had prepared lists for both days.

There were some stumbles with the tube changes, which I expected. There were several who dislodged the needle and had to start over using the other arm. Fortunately, everyone involved controlled any bleeding without difficulty. Two students had their tubes in the wrong order, I reminded them to study the order, but we continued. Hands were shaky, but everyone accomplished tube changes.

The next day was just as interesting. Those that had had needles dislodged proudly showed their bruises. This group was just as shaky, but there was no dislodging. Five students mixed up the tube order. I suggested that the next day we reviewed the order once again and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

As promised I brought in an IV needle set. This time I had them come up in pairs as I showed them the plastic sheath which covered the solid needle, demonstrated how they went through a piece of paper then withdrew the needle leaving the cannula in place. Of course, everyone thought that this was 'cool'.

With it being a short week, it was time for them all to enjoy their weekend. The next week would be here soon enough.

It was a quiet weekend for me. I did my housework and small chores, caught up on my TV stories and reading. I concentrated on the TV shows on Sunday, while I was preparing my meals for the week. With the small TV in the kitchen I could work, watch and listen. The evenings were spent with a glass of wine and a book. I did call Roni and learned that she was to have the cast taken off on Wednesday and then start her therapy. Things were doing great.

The weekend was over, and everyone was back at school. I shared the update regarding Mrs. Trenton.

After the tube order review. I had suggested that they utilize the poster and to put their tubes in order between their fingers. The first one next to their little finger and if they could fit two great, the next two between the ringer and middle finger and so forth.

We had been blessed that the class room came equipped with two centrifuges, four microscopes as well as an endless supply of tubes, specimen containers, pipets and glass plates for the microscopes.

I introduced them to the various pieces of equipment. Then reviewed their use and the reasons for such. The plan was for ten of the students to pick a partner and draw two tubes of blood. One of the tubes would be placed in the centrifuge and when both were filled they would be spun. The other tube would be used for a blood count under the microscope. The ten techs would be operating the equipment. After lunch, the first group of ten would do the same, then the second group.

"Now, considering you know what you will be doing, what color of test tubes should you use?"

Several hands went up and I decided to pick on Nancy.

"I am thinking a red top and a light blue top."

"Well done, absolutely correct. So how about we pick the first ten people from last week as techs and the second ten as patients. Tomorrow the second ten will be techs and the last ten as patients, then the next day the last ten as techs and the first ten as patients. The group that is not assigned an activity will ramble and watch what is happening. Look at the techniques, look at the blood, look at the slides."

I paused, thinking I saw a hand go up but came back down.

"Stan, did you have a question?"

"Yes, ma-am, I didn't see anyone here and I didn't see you blow on the area to dry it after you wiped it with alcohol. I have seen people blow on it or fan it with their hand. Is that right or wrong?"

"An excellent question, and a great observation. Does anyone want to try to answer this? Phillip, thanks for volunteering."

"If you blow on it you are blowing your germs and maybe bad breath on it and if you fan it, I am not sure, but I would think you are fanning any germs in the air right to it."

"Phillip, I would give you a 95 for that answer. The first part is definitely correct, the second part is partially correct. Always remember then when fanning you create the risk of unintentionally touching the area and contaminating it as well as what you said about fanning germs."

Sandra offered, "I remember reading that you weren't supposed to blow because of contamination."

I smiled and nodded.

Okay let's break up into our groups. Set up the desks for ten stations. Get your supplies. And I will watch over two draws at a time, then we will play with the equipment.

"What are we supposed to do with the light blue tube. I know it is to do a cell count but how do we do that?" Ralph asked.

"Have patience, Ralph. Let's get the blood drawn before we start that. Okay let's get at this."

The blood draws went exceptionally well, each step was followed correctly. I had the techs manning the centrifuge. After I had them read the instructions on the use, they spun the red top tubes. Then they were to identify the layers within the tubes.

The students portraying the patients were to carefully take the stopper out of their blue tube, then using the pipet were to put on drop on the gridded specimen class and count the three major blood cell. They had studied the different cell picture and now they were to compare their different counts and make a report. If there was an increase in white cells they could have an infection, a decrease in red cells could indicate anemia and a decrease in platelets could cause a bleeding concern.

After completing their task, they would switch places and redo the tests. The remaining students would wander and observe.

I also explained that there was high tech equipment now, that could do the counts mechanically, but if that equipment should fail to work, they would be doing things the old way. They all laughed.

"Well, I am glad we are learning how to do this. I like challenges." Stan offered.

For the next three days, they worked hard at accomplishing their tasks.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.