General Fiction posted March 2, 2018 Chapters:  ...40 41 -42- 43... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A very unexpected event.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

A Shock.

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges.

It was another test day, and everyone seemed to have questions for the review. The next two weeks would be used to discuss problems and concerns regarding the endocrine system and skin. In three weeks they would be doing their final exam.

It was ironic that they were all more worried about the lab portion prior to their clinical rotation than their final exam.

I think partly they were feeling confident with what they had learned, even if their marks had dipped. They were still all making passing grades.

It was scary to think about drawing blood on each other. To be handling someone's blood, urine, feces. To be fearful about what you might be exposed to.

The morning passed in a review of what they had learned from day one to the current time. After lunch they would have their test and we would mark it as usual.

William stayed for a few minutes after everyone had gone to lunch.

"Could I stay after class for a few minutes, Mrs. Armstrong? I have something I would like to discuss with you." he asked.

"Of course, you may. Is it anything we can quickly talk about right now, or is it something that needs to wait for more time?"

"I think it is better if we wait, it might take a little time. That is if you don't mind."

"No problem, once everyone leaves, the class room will be ours and we can lock the door if needed. Off to lunch, it's important that you eat."

They all filtered back in and the tests were distributed. For the first few minutes pages were flipped as they read their questions. Then they began.

When they were finished, I gave them a quick ten-minute break before we started to mark them.

Everyone did well on the diagrams, there was only one error. However, the questions posed an entirely different matter. No one scored 100%, in fact the highest grade was 80%. Disaster had struck. There were four failures in the group.

I immediately reassured them that this mark was not part of their course grading. And that this was a study means, nothing more.

I suggested that for now they simply take their papers home. Tonight, after they had read the chapters required, that they look over them and see if they can determine where they went wrong. Tomorrow we would do a review using the tests.

"The four of you, who did not do well, don't worry yet. I am glad this happened now rather than with the final exam. We will figure it all out."

The room filled with grumbles and I watched them leave with shoulders slumped.

William stayed behind and when the last student had left, he asked if he could lock the door.

That was my first indication that our discussion would be of a serious nature. He came to the desk and pulled up one of the chairs.

"My brother did something very stupid. At least, that is what everyone in the family feels. Randy has been curious about many things in his life. He is only eighteen, still growing, but thinks he knows everything." He paused to shake his head.

"Anyway, he decided that he wanted to know more about drug use and the effects of drugs. About a year ago, for four or five months he tried different pills and smokes. Then about six months ago he decided to try injectables. I know, he was dumb. And according to him it was only three times. A month ago, he was called and told he needed to get tested for AIDS, one of the guys he shared with had just been diagnosed. So, he got tested and came back positive."

Another pause.

"My problem is that for the past four years, I have been receiving platelet transfusions every few months from family members. The last one was from Randy; he hadn't used anything for at least three months and it was just before he got his call."

His eyes teared. "Because of that call, I also had to be tested and my result came back positive as well. I avoided going until two weeks ago and I just got the results back two days ago. So, I will be going to see the specialist, I do want to finish this course, so I will have to test my own specimens."

I rose from my chair and went around the corner of the desk to him. I leaned over the back of his chair to hug him. I didn't feel the need to comment right at that moment, as he sobbed. It was several moments before I spoke.

"It is not going to be a problem and I will definitely make sure you get your own specimens. There is no need to make anyone else in the class aware of your concerns. Is there anything I can do to help you?"

He shook his head 'no'.

"If you need to talk, or anyone in your family want some advice, I am here for you. I can come in early, I can stay late, I can even go to your home, just let me know. When Mrs. Trenton comes back we will sit down together and talk to her. Okay?"

He simply nodded. He sat for a few moments and then stood to leave.

"Thank you for listening and understanding."



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.