Romance Fiction posted February 25, 2018 Chapters:  ...64 65 -66- 67... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Kuznetsov's men attack.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Zwanzig part drei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Sure, is your computer up? I can send you the link. This must be really important. You're not normally this interested in security. Since you said 'we', I'm guessing Shana's close by. Want to fill me in on what's going on?"

"It's nothing, really, just curious."

"Sure. You always have a reason for everything." Jeff was silent a moment and then said, "You should be able to see what each camera sees."

"I can. Thank you."

Shana screamed as Anderson scanned the room. "Jeff, the lights just went out. What's going on?"

"Don't know, let me check it. I'll need some time."

"Hurry, I doubt we have time."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 20 part 3


As a knock sounded at the door, Anderson stood off to the side, but close. "Code word."

"Orange pelican."

Anderson opened the door. "Marc, what do you know?"

"This building's the only one without electricity."

"Go to the next level of security."

"Already taken care of." Marc paused when he heard a knock on the door and readied his gun. "Two of my men were close behind. I'm sure it's them, but..." he whispered and then cracked it open. The men stood there.

The taller of the two asked, "Where do you want us?"

Marc's eyes met Anderson's as he asked, "Inside?"

Anderson nodded. "I think so. How many others and when will they arrive?"

"Six and ETA..." he glanced at his watch, "four minutes. There's more on standby if need."

Shana stood to the side and chewed her thumb nail. Anderson took her hand. "Let's find you a safe place." He glanced at Marc. "I'll take her to the farthest back bedroom."

"Good idea."

As Anderson led her to the back of the condo, he said, "Stay here no matter what you hear or how long it takes. I'll be back as soon as I can." As she sat in a chair, he handed her a flashlight and kissed her cheek. "You'll be safe. I promise. Don't use the light any more than necessary. I don't want them to know you're here."

Anderson hurried to his room, grabbed his weapon, and returned to the living room.

Marc studied the gun. "A SIG Sauer P938, nice, but do you know how to use it?"

Jeff had called to give Marc instructions and commented, "Yes, he knows how to use it." He chuckled. "I'm glad we're on speaker. It's definitely only your building and it looks suspicious but I haven't been able to verify anything, yet. My guess is Kuznetsov stepped up his game. Just not sure why or I should say why now."

"Surely they wouldn't attack here. There are innocent people living in this building. I guess the reason doesn't matter." Anderson checked his weapon. His eyes met Marc's as they both heard feet running toward the door.

"Showtime!" Marc motioned his men into position. "Mr. Sharp, move into the hallway. You'll be the last defense to Ms. Kohlberg."

He nodded and positioned himself. I should've added more security. I never thought they'd attack a condo in the middle of Chicago. This isn't going to help Shana's nightmares. He heard a bang and commotion. They're inside. How many? When are the perimeter men showing up? Four minutes were up long ago. What's going on? Take a breath and remember your training. Patience.

One bang echoed and then moments later a second crack.

Who shot who? Anderson heard feet coming his direction. Silence. Hesitant steps. He aimed his weapon. He tilted his head at the cadence of brat tat, brat tat, brat tat. An assault weapon, probably Russian. The living room's in shambles. SCHLIK! His bullet's in the chamber. Where is he? He scanned the hall as he held his breath. He's close. I can almost hear him breathing. He wiped this nose. I hope Shana doesn't get the whiff of gunsmoke.

A figure moved. Anderson shot. The man fell.

At least one down. Now what? He crept forward at the sound of shuffling bodies. Fighting? He heard a thud.

"Clear!" yelled a man.

"Clear!" yelled a second man.

"Clear!" yelled Marc. "Mr. Sharp, we're clear."

Anderson knelt over the body. No pulse. He continued to the living room. "How many?"

"Four." Marc paused as he listened to his walkie-talkie. "Three outside. The police are on their way. What about Ms. Kohlberg?"

"We need to keep her out of this." Anderson removed his cell and tapped keys. "Philip, we need a room for tonight." He listened. "Does Jeff know what happened, yet?" Again, he listened. "Figured. I haven't seen Shana. I'll check on her in a minute."

After hanging up, he addressed Marc, "It seems the electrical lines were sabotaged."

Marc chuckled. "Ya think? We've already figured out that much." He studied the bodies. "And I bet I know who did it."

*****

Anderson knocked softly on the bedroom door where Shana waited. "It's me. Can I come in?"

"Yes," came a whisper.

As Anderson opened the door, he shone a flashlight into the room and saw Shana had moved the chair to a corner and tears streamed down her cheeks. He knelt beside her and placed his arms around her. "I'm so sorry."










*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*

Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria

Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.




Recognized


I want to thank those of you who have supported my newly published book. I am so grateful. You're like family to me. I'm so blessed.

Thank you Google Images for an image of a possible condo living room. Once again, I made last minute changes. I hope I didn't make it worse. Often when I make corrections, I leave in an extra word or leave one out. OH MY!!!! I struggle writing action scenes.
I am open for any suggestions. I know many of you write much better ones. Again, thank you for all the support you give my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.