General Fiction posted February 22, 2018 Chapters:  ...34 35 -36- 37... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Andrea goes home.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

Saturday With New Friends.

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges. Things did work out.
Morning came and before we knew it, the time to leave had come. Andrea had been up for hours. She had taken the time to wash the blanket and bedspread with the plan to do the sheets once I was up.

She had surprised me by making French toast, the way I had shown her. So, it was French-toast, juice and coffee for breakfast. After we cleaned up the dishes she excused herself to take her shower. I hurriedly took the groceries to the car. The bags were inside one of the lower cupboards and she hadn't bother to check the bag in the fridge which had the meat, butter, eggs and milk. I had showered before going to bed, so I was dressed when she came out.

"I put the sheets in the washer, but you will need to switch them over when you come home. The blanket and bedspread are folded on the bed. I know you are going tell me I didn't have to, but you were so kind, so I just did it."

I held out her coat, but she side tracked it and walked into a hug. We both sniffed and patted each other on the back. It was time. She took her coat and I reached for mine.

We were both silent on the drive over. I managed to find a parking just a couple of spots from her building door. Before we got out of the car, she turned to me to tearfully tell me she really appreciated all that I had done. We hugged again.

She ran up the steps, into the elevator, so she could tell her mom we were there. Within minutes, both she and Sarah were back and the three of us carried up her belongings. I excused myself after the last trip, so that I could get the groceries.

When I got back up to the apartment, Andrea was showing her mother how to work the slow cooker.

"Great, just in time. Let's wash it up and then Andrea can show you how to make stew. Then I want to see this room, although, I am sure she has already checked it out. I am sure the three of us can get things set up faster than she could do by herself. Then she can make the rolls and get started on the cookies. Okay people, move it." I laughed.

"See I told you she was bossy. Mom you are going to love this stew and the rolls are to die for. And for the record, no, I have not made it to the bedroom." She laughed as she started to wash the cooker. She instructed her mother to just watch for now.

She cut everything up and mixed it into the cooker. She covered it and showed her mom the difference in the settings.

I had no choice but to laugh, when she pointed her finger at her mom and waved it, as she told her to never, ever take a peak, that's why the lid was glass. She decided to set up the rolls before we went to her room. She retrieved her recipe card and mixed them up. Then she covered them with paper towel for rising.

Her mother was impressed. The slow cooker was a fantastic surprise for her and the groceries were a delightful surprise, for both.

Off we went to her room. Andrea was once more surprised, her single bed was a day bed, with all the throw cushions which complimented the bedspread. Her new curtains were of her favorite color -green and brought out the brightness of the other colors.

We moved her bed to where she wanted it, put the clean sheets, blanket and bedspread on it. Sarah and I set up her desk while Andrea put away her clothing. The last thing was to hang her towel and facecloth. With so many people in the apartment, it was decided that everyone would keep their towels in their bedrooms.

Andrea was set.

We all headed back to the kitchen to make cookies. The boys came in from their morning at the boys and girls club. Until two years ago, it was gender separated, but now it was mixed company.

They were surprised to see Andrea and even more surprised to see me. The biggest surprise was that Andrea was back home. However, their tummies out ranked the surprise and between the delicious smell of the stew, the rolls rising and of the cookies, the rumblings won out. Andrea was so glad I had brought what was needed to make hot chocolate which paired nicely with the fresh cookies. I was proud that she had learned my secrets so well.

After their cookies and hot chocolate, the two boys disappeared to the living room to watch their favorite TV program. Andrea and I did up the dishes, as Sarah watched in amazement. I was so proud of her actions and that she was following my suggestions.

"Mom, this is the new way of doing things around here." She laughed. "I am going to teach the boys to do dishes, and I will help with the cooking. You make sure we all have a good breakfast and pack our lunches, so helping in the evening, will be great for us all. This is how we work together, one night I wash and the next she does. So, the same for us. You wash, then I wash, then the boys wash. Now I do think for the first few times you should watch the boys to make sure they are doing it right, okay?"

Sarah agreed and then got up to leave the room. She came back with a bottle of brandy with a bow on it. Andrea grabbed a card that had been hiding behind the toaster.

"This is for you, Jax. I mean, Mrs. Armstrong. It's from my Mom and I as a thank you for helping us out."

"Jax is fine at this time. You, guys, did not have to do this. It was a pleasure to let you stay. I just hate it when people like your uncle tries that stuff. I know as I suspect you both know, he is not really an awful person. He just lost his way a little. The stress of losing his home, of having to be reliant on his baby brother probably made him seek out a little affection from someone. And you, my dear, are by nature a very giving person. He just took it the wrong way. So how about we have some special hot chocolate? As long as, you two can put up with me for an hour, I will be safe to drive home. What do you say?"

We indulged and enjoyed. Now of course, I could not drive home with open alcohol in the car, so the brandy stayed, and I had an open invitation.

I was gone, when the two men came home for supper. The stew was enjoyed by all. Andrea gave her uncle the smaller slow cooker, explaining she had learned the delights of one pot meals while she was away. She then gave him the patio furniture and the card, he had no clue who it was from, but greatly appreciated it. He planned on putting it out when he got home and would cover it for now.

Andrea and Sarah saw him through different eyes.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.