Writing Non-Fiction posted February 16, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Resurgence of Coles supermarkets

Coles on the move

by LittleIrishman

Coles is going places with a resurgence in the supermarket competition.

Once experiencing a drop in business, Coles are catching up to bigger and successful supermarket stores like ALDI and Woolworths. Coles may just be the successful and preferred alternative to Woolworths, ALDI, IGA, and other supermarket stores.

In general, local Coles, Woolworths, IGA, or another provider, had a missed opportunity to have and diversify into a local, national, and Australian-owned cheaper, more affordable supermarket that overseas company ALDI too full advantage of.

Coles knows it cannot match Woolworths and ALDI with product, price, and quality in general. Therefore, Coles used effective advertising and incentives to promote and further the Coles supermarket chains.

The store Coles could even be, and might already be, an attractive international store export, like ALDI, Kmart, and Bunnings, and CostCo for example.

The supermarket Coles is a lesson for other small-to-medium-to-large businesses and companies to have a well-thought-out, different, alternative, and/or out-of-the-circle approach to business, and communications (sales, marketing, public relations, copy-writing-journalism). Not everyone will like such advertising and incentives, but at the very least such people can recall it.

One of the main reasons for this positive move by Coles has been its advertising, and various ambassadors. There are powerful and influential Coles ambassadors like cooks and chefs, especially with the current cooking revolution - such as Curtis Stone (blonde-hair), My Kitchen Rules (MKR) with Manu and Pete, and MasterChef with Damon, George, and James.

Then there are famous sportspeople ambassadors promoting athletics, sport, and health to Coles customers, visitors, and school kids, such as Australian female sprinting-hurdling champion, Sally Pearson, and king-of-all-kings, Jamaican sprinting world champion, Usain Bolt.

Other reasons for Coles' success has been advertising and incentives, such as the Coles MasterCard deal, and FlyBuys purchasing points and rewards one of the most noted shopping programs.

Some former examples of Coles advertising are, 'Serving you better' (1988 to 2003); A red-orange orb (1991 to 2005); A circled tick (2003 to 2007); 'Something better everyday'/ 'Proudly Australian since 1914' (2007); 2008 summer Olympics; and ever catchy and famous, 'Down Down, Prices are Down' (Down Down, a hit song by British rockers, Status Quo) ('Coles Supermarkets', Wikipedia).

Additionally, and important, is the fact Coles being part of the former Coles Myer-Coles Group company juggernaut taken over by Wesfarmers in 2006 -- Coles, Target, Kmart, Myer, and LiquorLand ('Coles Supermarkets', Wikipedia).

Coles is an Australian-owned company owned by parent company Wesfarmers, with headquarters in Melbourne, Victoria. Coles is 104 years old, founded in 1914. There are 801 Coles stores across Australia, with an annual revenue in 2016 of $33billion ('Coles supermarkets', Wikipedia).

Bibliography
- Personal References:
I have seen various Coles advertisements on mainstream Australian television, with the ambassadors mentioned above, as well as in-store and external advertisements with elite athletics runners Sally Pearson and Usain Bolt.
- Wikipedia:
'Coles Supermarkets'.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LittleIrishman All rights reserved.
LittleIrishman has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.