General Fiction posted February 14, 2018 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The weekend passes.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

A Successful Visit

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges.

Andrea made it back by 1900 and reported that it was a great visit. Her uncle was gone all afternoon and only showed up for supper. Her brothers were surprised by the cookies and the tins and proclaimed them to be delicious. She stressed that they had to make them last because she would only bring them every two weeks. After supper she gave them their candy sticks stating that they had been purchased for her to give to them.

Her parents asked how she was doing with both the job and the course. Her uncle did not have too much today to say during the time he was home. He had excused himself and went to his room, immediately after eating. There was no mention of him leaving. Andrea figured her mother would let her know when that happened.

We watched a movie again, commenting all the way through it. Night came, and it was time for bed.

Early Sunday morning was church for Andrea and a time for me to make my prepared meals. I liked to make my casserole dishes and layered meals ahead of time, so I declined her invite to attend mass. I also wanted to call Roni and see how things were going with her recovery.

When I called, she was out, which really didn't surprise me. I called her cell and found her at the Waffle House indulging in pancakes and bacon. Her grandson was celiac, so everyone tried to be aware of where they were eating. IHOP, unfortunately added pancake batter to their scrambled eggs, so rather than taking a chance, the choice was now Waffle House. Wheat could be avoided as needed. I felt guilty bothering her breakfast, late as it was, so I let her go after hearing that she was doing well. I asked about a Wednesday evening visit. Sarah would be over to see Andrea and this would give them time to really visit.

I usually made enough for four people when I made my pre-made meals. I pre-cooked my bite size pieces of lamb and then assembled my shepherd's pie, which went into the oven to bake. Of course, I made lasagna again, since it was an easy meal with some garlic bread. I planned to make a hearty stew for supper and fresh rolls or rather instruct Andrea to make it. Then after supper we would get things ready for chili for tomorrow. I do so love slow cookers.

Church was over and after a quick lunch, I had her cutting the meat and vegetable into bite size pieces and placed them in the slow cooker. We stirred in the pureed tomatoes, spices and bread crumbs. I explained as she worked the difference between a home cooked stew and canned. More nutrients, better smells and a sense of achievement. I also showed her how to make rolls from scratch with a plan to make enough for tomorrow.

Years ago, this was made in the oven on a low temperature for eight hours. My ancestors used to make this in a covered pot in a sunken fire pit for the entire day.

After getting supper started, she disappeared to her room to reread the assigned chapter. She made notes on what she thought would be important. One can never learn too much. We had been together for a whole week. Our routine together seemed to have settled. We were open enough that we respected each other.

I enjoyed a good book while she studied, I could smell the rolls rising and the aromas of the stew. I sipped some scotch on the rocks as I read, while enjoying the crackle of the fireplace.

Late afternoon she came out of her room.

"I can't read another word that is anatomy related."

"Just sit and relax then, Listen to your music. What about texting one of your friends, to see what's happening in the world? Did you check on the rolls? I could smell them rising. They can go in the oven in about an hour."

She smiled, and her head dropped to her phone. Within minutes her head was bopping to the music and her fingers were traveling a mile a minute over the screen. She left the room to check the rolls and came back with a thumbs-up signal. I am so glad she had ear buds. I watched briefly and thought that if it were the olden days she would have been a whiz on the typewriter. Unfortunately, in today's time, even computer-based jobs were grabbed up quickly. She would have been a great secretary, she was detail oriented.

Before she knew it, it was time to put the rolls in, I got up and waved for her to follow. After brushing with butter, in they went. Supper would be ready in a few minutes. She like so many who did not understand slow cookers wanted to peek and even stir about every hour. That, I advised her defeated the whole concept of slow cooking. The trick was to put things in, cover and leave it until at least four hours later, in fact the longer the better. Our stew would have gone almost six hours.

When they were ready, she took the rolls out, so pleased with the golden crust and that she had made them. I set the table while she transferred them to a basket. Then she carried the slow cooker pot to the table and placed it on a trivet. A new word for her, which simply meant a barrier between the table and hot pot. She removed the cover and rich aromas filled the room.

She was so amazed that she had made something this delicious. While she had been preparing everything, we had talked about the approximate cost of the items and then compared the cost of canned goods. Another surprise for her was that she could actually make one for supper and then overnight make a second pot for the freezer, since this would freeze and reheat well, all for the same cost as the canned goods for one meal.

"Sometimes my mom just grabs a couple of pizzas in the frozen section and that becomes supper. I suppose even pizza could be made at home cheaper. I think when I go back home I am going to surprise my mom with a slow cooker and show her how she can save money and have great meals." She commented as she ate.

We had both decided to skip the cookies and have ice cream later, so I let her get the things ready for the chili that would cook tomorrow while we were at school. I took the opportunity to tell her about the benefits of soaking beans the night before rather than using canned kidney beans. Now, I happen to like both beans and meat in my chili so that was the way I taught her. She cooked the ground beef while I while I washed the dishes. When the beef was done she placed it, the tomato sauce and spices in the cooker and covered it with saran wrap for the fridge. In the morning, the beans would go in and then it would cook all day


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.