General Fiction posted February 9, 2018 Chapters:  ...24 25 -26- 27... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The day was organized.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

The Move.

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges.

We all hugged as Sarah was getting ready to leave. We had agreed that on Wednesdays she would visit after her family had been fed. And that she would call Andrea nightly to see how things were going. She went home after one more hug and a kiss to her daughter's forehead.

I found Andrea a nightgown and robe, showed her around the condo and suggested that since it had been an exhausting day, we both get some sleep. Wiggles was excited about having a guest and for the first time, I actually got to sleep alone.

Morning came, and I made French toast for breakfast. I had tossed her things in the washing machine and dryer the night before, so she had clean clothing for the day. We spent a couple of hours talking about anything and everything until it was time to go. I did explain that while I was waiting for her, I planned to call Mrs. Trenton to provide an update.

It didn't take her long to pack up her stuff. Her whole life fit into two large suitcases, three tote bags and about six shopping bags. She stripped her sheets and put them in the washer, before remaking the bed with a set of extra sheets, hardly ever used. She grabbed her uncles' pillow and blanket and put them on the bed. She was even nice enough to put his suitcases and duffel bags in the room. When she was done she came down to sit in the car, until she saw that it was almost time for her parents to come home.

I grabbed a coffee to sip on while she had lunch. I had brought a bagel with me, so I was set to make my call. Roni was stunned, when I shared the events. She did however think it was a great idea and that she would have probably done the same.

Lunch went well and then Andrea shared her story. Sarah managed to look surprised and shocked and shed some tears as well as proclaiming some objections. The men and boys were dumbfounded. The boys thought it would be a great idea, until they realized that she had set up her room for her uncle. He had nothing to say.

Everyone was hugged, and all eyes were either tearful or at least misty. Andrea forced herself to accept a hug from her uncle, but her mother watched closely and stood at her side. At the beginning of the extended hug his arms were around her ribcage, but then one hand drifted south to grope her buttocks. Her mother saw this and intervened.

"I guess it is time to let Andrea get on her way, to her new home. I am sure that we all want to wish her well and good luck. Now, I do know that she has a long chapter to read before class tomorrow, so we best be letting her go."

She provided the last hug and whispered, "I saw him, I just might have to make some hot chocolate for everyone and mix exlax in his."

Out loud she sniffled and said, "You keep in touch. We will all miss you, but it is a good learning experience for you. You will be fine. Now, off you go."

At the last minute, Andrea remembered her sheets in the washer. "Mama, I forgot, I washed my sheets and they need to be dried."

"I will take care of them, now go."

Andrea was crying when she got to the car. She grabbed a handful of tissues and cried all the way home.

After we had emptied the car, I suggested that even before she put her things away, that she have a hot shower and change into something comfortable. I had stew in the slow cooker and rolls ready for the oven. But we had lots of time before supper.

After her shower and transformation, we settled into the chairs in the living room with soft music in the background. Andrea was engrossed in her text book while I enjoyed my novel. Silence prevailed for several minutes. Then she spoke.

"I don't know how to say thank you enough, or how I can ever repay you for what you are doing. I feel safe and I know that my mom knows I am safe. Thank you."

I reassured her that it was not a problem and that I hoped anyone given the same conditions would step forward. We both smiled.

We returned to our reading until it was almost time to eat. I put the rolls in the oven while she set the table. After I put the stew and rolls on the table, I grabbed two wine glasses and a smaller bottle of Merlot. It was partially gone.

"I tend to make my beef stews with wine in it, so I figured we could enjoy wine with dinner."

Andrea chuckled as we ate and asked, "So how do I do my meal log? I am not at home anymore."

I patted her hand and said, "Fake it. Write down what you would normally have. If I am correct, you were all structured in your eating and probably your chores. Certain meals on certain days, the laundry done in a specific manner. I would even hazard a guess that you did yours on Fridays and your brothers on Saturday. That was also the day you changed the bedding and did your towels."

"How did you know? That is amazing."

"It is easy, I used to live a regimented life style and had a family to take care of. I even had days set aside for certain meals. Now, since I don't really cook for anyone, I just make what I think I want. It will be nice having someone here to cook for."

Supper was finished, and we did the dishes together. I planned to watch TV, there was a new movie coming on and since she only had about four pages left in the chapter she joined me. I made tea and she chose a soda.

It was enjoyable that we chattered through the movie, about this scene or who was going to do what. Bedtime came all too soon. I told her to wake me with any concerns. Wiggles was back in her normal place.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.